Katharine Hepburn

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
movieman1957
Administrator

Katharine Hepburn

Post by movieman1957 »

Can't find a thread dedicated just to her.

Thought maybe some might be interested in a Life magazine special edition on Hepburn 10 years after her death. It is mostly photos, and many of them, that may have been borrowed from Mongo :) but many are quite interesting with little facts thrown in. One article and some lobby card reproductions are included.

It is only out until the 13th.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Lomm
Administrator

Re: Katharine Hepburn

Post by Lomm »

I'm a big fan of Hepburn, particularly her early comic work. She was a great lady too, by most accounts. I read one of her biographies and found her a fascinating individual.
loureviews

Post by loureviews »

Now, Katharine Hepburn, that was a lady to be reckoned with, by all accounts! Quite aside from her sixty-two year film career (where nearly all her titles were exceptional, and those which didn't quite work were never less than interesting), she seemed to be formidable in her life choices - wearing slacks, having her husband change his name so she would be Mrs Ludlow instead of Mrs Smith, keeping a relationship out-of-wedlock going for thirty years, not buying into the fan-culture in any way, and keeping that Bryn Mawr clipped voice to make herself immediately recognisable.

In the lengthy interview she did with Dick Cavett for TV - and if you haven't seen it, you really should - she is tough, disarming, honest, and fascinating. You could say the same for her book about filming the African Queen, and her autobiography, Me. She had confidence in abundance, and if she didn't have the sex appeal of a Harlow, Crawford, or Lamarr then she had a warm screen presence which worked in comedy with Cary Grant or Spencer Tracy, and a brittle energy that made her convincing in more dramatic roles. She's absorbing to watch in Morning Glory or Mary of Scotland, and quite the best character on the screen in The Lion in Winter or A Delicate Balance.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I've never come across a copy of A DELICATE BALANCE. Haven't read the play either. As a fan of Edward Albee, I should see this movie!
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

loureviews wrote:Now, Katharine Hepburn, that was a lady to be reckoned with, by all accounts! Quite aside from her sixty-two year film career (where nearly all her titles were exceptional, and those which didn't quite work were never less than interesting), she seemed to be formidable in her life choices - wearing slacks, having her husband change his name so she would be Mrs Ludlow instead of Mrs Smith, keeping a relationship out-of-wedlock going for thirty years, not buying into the fan-culture in any way, and keeping that Bryn Mawr clipped voice to make herself immediately recognisable.

In the lengthy interview she did with Dick Cavett for TV - and if you haven't seen it, you really should - she is tough, disarming, honest, and fascinating. You could say the same for her book about filming the African Queen, and her autobiography, Me. She had confidence in abundance, and if she didn't have the sex appeal of a Harlow, Crawford, or Lamarr then she had a warm screen presence which worked in comedy with Cary Grant or Spencer Tracy, and a brittle energy that made her convincing in more dramatic roles. She's absorbing to watch in Morning Glory or Mary of Scotland, and quite the best character on the screen in The Lion in Winter or A Delicate Balance.

Nice perspective you got here and thanks for sharing it and by the way welcome to SSO! ... Happy to have you on board! :)
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Yes, we are. Welcome, Lou Reviews!
Vienna

Post by Vienna »

Great to have a thread on the one and only Kate.
It was good that in her later years she started giving interviews and talked so honestly about her life and career. Before that she had been very private.
What a career she had for forty years, on stage and screen. Oh, to have seen her onstage in Philadelphia Story, or in the stage musical COCO. I love Stage Door, Bringing Up Baby, Holiday, The African Queen.
loureviews

Post by loureviews »

RedRiver wrote:I've never come across a copy of A DELICATE BALANCE. Haven't read the play either. As a fan of Edward Albee, I should see this movie!
Hi Red River (and thanks to everyone for the nice welcome!) - A Delicate Balance was released as part of the American Film Theatre set a few years ago on DVD. I have it on Region 2 but I'm pretty sure it is/was available in Region 1 as well. It's well worth watching.