William Hartnell;Film life before and during Dr. Who

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
stuart.uk

William Hartnell;Film life before and during Dr. Who

Post by stuart.uk »

William Hartnell is best known as the first Doctor Who, from 1963 through to 1966. However, like Ward Bond in America, he was a top character actor, who in his 50s became a major tv star. It's funny that Hartnell played the Doctor as an old man, whereas Jon Pertwee at roughly the same age he played the Time Lord, played him as a fit action hero. Sadly ill health forced the BBC to let him go, as he was struggling learning his lines among other things, but he did appear on tape speaking to Throughton and Pertwee and the 10th aniversary show.Most people realise that the 50-year-success of the show is largely down to him, as he left a legacy for the others to follow.

However, before all that Hartnell did make contribution to the British Film Industry. He was in the propaganda war movie The Way Ahead with David Niven, he was the sidekick that turned against young gangster Richard Attenbourgh in Brighton Rock, he was second billed to Richard Todd in Yangtse Incident, played the Sargeant Major in the very first Carry On, Carry On Sargeant and was a crooked haulage Manager in Hell Drivers in league with nasty Patrick McGoohan against hero Stanley Baker.

Doctor Who also wasn't his first tv role, Hartnell also did the acclaim Army Game............................
loureviews

Re: William Hartnell;Film life before and during Dr. Who

Post by loureviews »

I thought the docu-drama about the birth of Dr Who was excellent. William Hartnell was never a top-flight film star but he has some notable turns in This Sporting Life, Brighton Rock, and Carry On Sergeant. I think he brought the right touch of gravitas and approachability to the Doctor, and I think David Bradley caught this in An Adventure in Space and Time!
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

HI
I thought An Adventure In Space And Time was a really good tv movie.

Are you UK based
loureviews

Post by loureviews »

stuart.uk wrote:HI
I thought An Adventure In Space And Time was a really good tv movie.

Are you UK based
Hi Stuart - yes, I'm in London.