Gone With or Without fanfare

Discussion of programming on TCM.
JackFavell

Re: Gone With or Without fanfare

Post by JackFavell »

This is just dreadful and devastating news, but perhaps there is some comfort for us in the fact that our beloved stars who have passed in the last week or so each attained a certain age, and certainly gave us more joy than they could possibly realize. I am completely choked up right now after hearing the news about Peter O'Toole and Joan Fontaine, but who of us wouldn't be happy with just one of their great performances under our belt? Being able to say you worked with Hitchcock or Lean? That you played the lead in Rebecca or Lawrence of Arabia? to live your life to the fullest.... this is what an actor wants from life, what we all want, and I think perhaps these icons may have had the best of this world.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

While there were reports earlier today that the death of Joan Fontaine was a hoax, it turned out that she had, indeed, passed away.

The death of country singer Ray Price was also announced by some media outlets but it appears, at least for now, the very ailing country giant is still with us.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

feaito

Post by feaito »

Dear Tessa, although you lived a secluded life, you were there in Carmell and I knew it....it will never be the same without you, but you left me "Letter from an Unknown Woman", "The Constant Nymph" and many others, to remember you forever.....RIP JOAN FONTAINE (1917-2013)

Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Lovely image, feaito. Sweet memories...
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Beautiful.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Thanks friends.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I thought under the circumstances I'd post Joan's screentest from Rebecca. I just saw this a week ago at Miss Goddess' Pinterest page, and was floored. It's just a screen test, but all the nuance, all the meaning is there. She really is "I".

[youtube][/youtube]
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Peter O'Toole, Joan Fontaine and Audrey Totter, it's not been a good weekend for classic movie lovers, Joan Fontaine has always been a favourite, Peter O'Toole became a favourite and quite how he got to 81 is a miracle in itself and Audrey Totter I've only just got to know. RIP all of you.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u][color=#0040BF]RED[/color][/u] [u][color=#0040BF]RIVER[/color][/u] wrote:Having read of the great Peter O'Toole's passing, I had to take a moment before coming to this thread. Is it possible to name the very best actor I've ever seen? Perhaps that's excessive. But I've seen none better than this brash, energetic, remarkably sensitive Irishman. He was the kind of player you can't take your eyes off of. Even if his co-stars are equally talented, likely as not, O'Toole is the one who holds your attention. He was one of the all too few who climbed into a character and brought it to full, flesh, breathing life...
What a loving tribute you gave PETER O'TOOLE, Red. Click on my photo tribute to see the clip I saw pasted on our Oasis' FaceBook page. This should be a good example of the range O'Toole exhibits within just one scene.

"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Can't believe that Joan Fontaine died - I'm very curious what Olivia has to say about her now?
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Erik,

I could see her releasing a short statement acknowledging Joan's passing but I doubt she would say or reveal much more. What ever were the reasons for their differences, I don't think they reconciled and Olivia seems to prefer not to talk about those differences.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Thanxx for posting that screen test of Joan Fontaine's, Wendy. The quiet desperation and tentativeness...She nailed it.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

These days before Christmas are really turning out to be a bummer

Are they ever! Somehow, this often happens at this time. I remember a few other legends passing right around Christmas. As for Ray Price, i didn't know that was mis-reported. I, myself, made a comment on Facebook.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Olivia has released a statement according to NBC News:

"I was shocked and saddened to learn of the passing of my sister, Joan Fontaine. My niece, Deborah, and I appreciate the many kind expressions of sympathy that we have received."
Lynn in Lake Balboa

Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Well . . . reckon Olivia had to say something.

Would like to think her sentiments are sincere. God bless èm both for reaching well into their 90s.