The Battle of Algiers (1966)

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Mr. Arkadin

The Battle of Algiers (1966)

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

This film coming up Sunday evening might hit a bit close to home for some viewers in dealing with terrorism and guerrilla tactics, but it's newsreel style is remarkably fresh and the film still seems current despite being over fifty years old.

It's interesting as well to note that these people were not actors (the only professional actor is the French Col. (Jean Martin)). The non actors and hand held camerawork add to the illusion that this film was an actual documentary (it wasn't).

Blessed with one of the most haunting scores in all film (Ennio Morricone), Algiers is a moving, but disturbing portrait of modern warfare. Small wonder the Pentagon screened this film after the events of 911.
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

"Battle of Algiers" is a terrific movie. It is hard to believe that it contains no newsreel footage.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

I thought I would bump this thread since the film will be showing tomorrow night (In Prime Time no less!). A very interesting movie that I think should be seen and discussed. I hope some of you will watch. 8)
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

It is a powerful film. Hats off to TCM for showing it in prime time.