The Beatles

Chit-chat, current events
MichiganJ

Re: The Beatles

Post by MichiganJ »

Last night I watched the blu-ray of Yellow Submarine. Restored in 4K digital resolution, each frame was restored by hand and it shows. The color leaps out at you (almost literally), and that 3D effect when in Liverpool (the image shows the rooftops and then glides down to street level) is breathtaking. The lossless audio is pretty amazing, too. Fortunately they do include the Hey Bulldog sequence (it was cut from the original American release of the film for reasons unfathomable), and you really get to appreciate McCartney's bass and just how much fun they all must have had recording the song.

As to the film itself, what can one say except that it is proof positive that in the 60s, the pharmaceuticals must have been awesome.
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

A perfect marriage of sorts with way out musicians and way out artists. I like it for the artwork more than the story. But the musical sequences are amazing.

I have a VHS of it and the "Hey Bulldog" sequence is there. I'm looking forward to the new one.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

Bruce and Mac performing together in London over the weekend.

[youtube][/youtube]

(Plugs were pulled before they could do one more tune. Curfew.)
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

The new Beatles compilation Tomorrow Never Knows is available as an exclusive on iTunes:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/tomorr ... d545992709
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Facebook made a comment about it being the anniversary yesterday of the photo shoot for the "Abbey Road" cover.

Favorite album cover and discussions of "Abbey Road" in particular are welcome.
Chris

Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

My oldest brother has a copy of the Abbey Road Album and treasured it ... because it is the 11th Studio Album and it's most iconic album cover ever. It is his favorite as well as mine too. I will ask him this weekend about his thoughts about it and I will share it here on Monday. Here is the wiki link of this legendary album.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abbey_Road
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

It's my favorite too. Rock and Roll was never better!
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Probably along with "Sgt. Pepper" it is one of the most famous album covers in the history of music. The most simple of ideas carried out in the luck of how uniformed their strides are. Seeing some of the other photos you wouldn't have had near the impact if this one photo wasn't used.

I think the overall album is better than most of its individual parts. There are glorious gems. "Come Together," "Something," "Here Comes The Sun" and "You Never Give Me Your Money" are all very good, I think. There are some songs that are junk that are quite listenable thanks to the arrangements and production. "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" and maybe "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" fall there for me.

I like "Oh Darling" and "Because" as they just show how varied the music could be. Then there's the collection on side 2. A pretty bold idea to take several fragments of songs and throw them all together and come up with an interesting sounding piece for an album. All well produced but there is an argument for leaving the lyrical junk that is "Sun King" off and maybe the same for Lennon's "Polythene Pam" and "Mean Mr. Mustard" off but weave them into the other songs in the run and it gives them kind of a life they don't have on their own. All wrapped up in the grand coda that is "The End."

So, the other question is does "Her Majesty" make you laugh when it showed up after the lovely end or does it spoil the mood of the end of the album?
Chris

RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

"Her Majesty" makes me smile. Much like unexpected background music for the closing credits of a movie. I love the medley on Side Two. I like the songs individually. Strung together, they're irrestible. As for the uniformed strides on the album cover, don't forget Paul is the only one out of step. You know what that means!

I like Sgt. Pepper, love The White Album. But ABBEY ROAD is musical heaven. It's rock's best band, playing their finest music.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

RedRiver wrote: I like Sgt. Pepper, love The White Album. But ABBEY ROAD is musical heaven. It's rock's best band, playing their finest music.
I completely agree with you Red River ... ABBEY ROAD is musical heaven.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

On Feb 9, 1964 The Beatles on Ed Sullivan played to a television audience of 73 million people. (A 45 share of the ratings.) If I was watching I don't remember it.

Having just read an article about Paul and Ringo taping the special honoring the band for broadcast on the 9th it dawned on me that this program might be the reason that Paul and Ringo didn't do a Beatles tune at the Grammy's. It might be a contractual thing or a way to build some anticipation for the show.

I'm debating on whether to watch a bunch of very talented people sing Beatles songs when they could just sort of do a concert like they did to honor George Harrision after his death. You let Jeff Lynne play and sing and Dhani could play along as well.

I'll watch it.
Chris

RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

On that historic night, I had never heard of The Fab 4. The next day, I heard about nothing else! We weren't an Ed Sullivan family. There was probably a cowboy show on another channel!
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

ABBEY ROAD ALBUM

Side One
"Come Together"
"Something"
"Maxwell's Silver Hammer"
"Oh! Darling"
"Octopus's Garden"
"I Want You (She's So Heavy)"

My family has a very special meaning of ABBEY ROAD - Especially with Side One of this Album - My eldest brother remembered the Beatles quite well and attended a Concert back in 1966 in Seattle on August 25th that year. His favorite Song on Side One was Come Together, Oh! Darling, and I Want You.

Side Two
"Here Comes the Sun"
"Because"
"Medley"
"Her Majesty"

His Favorite Song on Side Two is always Because.

After attending this concert - about 5-7 years later he had Ringo Starr signed the Cover of ABBEY ROAD and 10 Years Later Paul McCarthy signed too. He was unable to get John Lemmon and George Harrison to sign it too. So, his album has 2 out of 4 Beatles signed it and I wanted to share this information to all of you here.

This is all I have for now.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

What a special piece to have.
Chris

Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

movieman1957 wrote:What a special piece to have.

Thanks Chris,