Gone With or Without fanfare

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Nick

Re: Gone With or Without fanfare

Post by Nick »

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but Larry Pennell died back in August 2013.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I'm sorry to hear about Hoffman although he reminded me of the gnomes in the Priceline commercials, or whichever that was(not Wm. Shatner), but I was very sorry to hear about Richard Bull. Perhaps the reason is that Richard chose to play nice guys, although in the case of " . . . Prairie" he was so kind and understanding but forever doomed to be married to his harridan wife, Harriet, and suffer his nasty kids, Nellie and Willie, due to Harriet's influences, but now and then he slyly overcame their trickery with some of his own, especially where other kids were concerned.

Hoffman never turned me on although I do agree that he was a fine actor and even though he often played people I would not care to know, some actors like Jack Black often take on roles as normal people, whereas Hoffman never seemed to stray from the rare and unusual. Great acting is fine but it's not the only thing that contributes to a movie.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Here in the area where Philip Seymour Hoffman grew up and first acted professionally, some in Fairport, NY have tied ribbons on trees around town in his memory; another person has written his name in the snow behind his high school; and the local professional theater community, led by The Geva, have acknowledged how much he learned here and how much he gave back ten fold. A local indie film house called The Little Theatre has planned a Hoffman Festival to end on Oscar Day. And The George Eastman House has expressed their sorrow at this beloved native son's sad end. He never forgot his home, returning frequently, promoting the arts and supporting the community that nurtured him and is still home for many of his family members. He was a sweet, intelligent, and apparently troubled man, as well as a gifted one. He will be missed well beyond the glare of the nation's spotlight too.

Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Nick

Post by Nick »

Child actress Ann Carter has died (1936-2014).

From Variety:
Ann Carter, Former 1940s Child Actress, Dies at 77

Ann Carter, who was a tiny Veronica Lake lookalike, with similarly flowing blonde hair, when she appeared in two prominent supernatural-themed films of the 1940s, “Cat People” sequel “Curse of the Cat People” and Lake starrer “I Married a Witch,” before polio ended her career, died Jan. 27 in North Bend, Wash., after long bout with ovarian cancer. She was 77.

Carter made 18 films, beginning with a trio of roles, the first two uncredited, in 1941 and 1942: “Last of the Duanes”; “I Married a Witch,” the delightful comedic fantasy in which she briefly played the daughter of Lake and Fredric March; and Norway-set WWII pic “Commandos Strike at Dawn,” starring Paul Muni, for which she was appropriately Nordic-looking.

The 1944 Val Lewton horror film “Curse of the Cat People” was essentially focused on Carter’s character, and she had a substantial role as a child who befriends the dead first wife of her father.

She also appeared in the 1947 thriller “The Two Mrs. Carrolls,” starring Humphrey Bogart as a homicidal painter and Barbara Stanwyck and Alexis Smith as his two wives; in 1948 parable “The Boy With the Green Hair,” with Dean Stockwell; and in 1949 Bing Crosby vehicle “A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court.”

Carter contracted polio in 1948; her last onscreen appearance was uncredited role in 1952 Carson McCullers adaptation “The Member of the Wedding.”

Survivors include her husband of 56 years, Stephen; three children; and three grandchildren.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

My friend....
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

As a fellow Washingtonian, I met Ann Carter once in Downtown (back in mid-1900) Seattle while attending a play and she was a gracious and charming lady and I told her that I enjoyed her work in 1949 Bing Crosby vehicle “A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court.” and she was pleased to hear this.

We talked briefly during the intermission and that's was the only time I saw her.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Moira, thanx for the info on the loving and respectful tributes on deck for Philip Seymour Hoffman. He was a fine actor who made the brave and interesting choice to portray flawed human characters. A fine actor whose work I always enjoyed. You always hit the right note.

Well THIS has me bummed out. Heard the sad news of Ann Carter's passing. She was a very soulful actress who seemed mature beyond her years. And what a beautiful little girl she was.

"My friend," indeed. :( RIP.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Ann Carter was one of the most memorable children in '40s films, particularly in psychological melodrama The Two Mrs. Carrolls (stealing scenes effortlessly from some power house actors) and the darkly enchanted The Curse of the Cat People. An old soul on screen; I was cheered to read that she had a full life away from films with a 56 year marriage, three children and grandchildren.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Thanks so much to those who posted about Philip Seymour Hoffman. He was a wonderful actor who dug into the characters he was playing in and seemed to inhabit them from the inside.

Cameron Crowe posted this on the web the other day regarding Hoffman from when he was directing him in a scene during the making of Almost Famous:

"My original take on this scene was a loud, late night pronouncement from Lester Bangs. A call to arms. In Phil’s hands it became something different. A scene about quiet truths shared between two guys, both at the crossroads, both hurting, and both up too late. It became the soul of the movie. In between takes, Hoffman spoke to no one. He listened only to his headset, only to the words of Lester himself. (His Walkman was filled with rare Lester interviews.) When the scene was over, I realized that Hoffman had pulled off a magic trick. He’d leapt over the words and the script, and gone hunting for the soul and compassion of the private Lester, the one only a few of us had ever met. Suddenly the portrait was complete. The crew and I will always be grateful for that front row seat to his genius."

Also a thank you to the community for being so respectful. Over at Crazytown the conversation quickly devolved into an argument and has now gone further off-course into a discussion of Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction.

Crazytown, always keeping it classy. :cry:

Thanks to all here who actually do on a daily basis! It's appreciated more than you know!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Lzcutter wrote:Thanks so much to those who posted about Philip Seymour Hoffman. He was a wonderful actor who dug into the characters he was playing in and seemed to inhabit them from the inside...

Also a thank you to the community for being so respectful. Over at Crazytown the conversation quickly devolved into an argument and has now gone further off-course into a discussion of Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction.

Crazytown, always keeping it classy. :cry:

Thanks to all here who actually do on a daily basis! It's appreciated more than you know!
Copycatting on what Lynn said. I love this sweet place. :lol:

Moira, thank you for posting that heartwarming image of Hoffman's first name in the snow.
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Over at Crazytown the conversation quickly devolved into an argument and has now gone further off-course into a discussion of Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction.

It takes a lot to shock me, but...
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Yeah, I was stupid and did a little reading in that thread over at Crazytown too.

And that's all I'll say. Makes me appreciate everyone here so much more. :D
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Thanks for the info on Ann Carter. I always wondered about her (seriously, not kidding), but never caught her name in the credits. Whatever the case though, she was an absolutely beautiful child and when she was on screen, you forgot she was a child she was so mature and acted like the perfect little lady.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

From the Hollywood Reporter:

Gabriel Axel, the writer and director of Babette’s Feast, the first Danish picture to win the Oscar for best foreign-language film, died Sunday in Copenhagen. He was 95.

Babette’s Feast (1987), based on the novel of the same name by Danish author Karen Blixen, revolves around two sisters and their housekeeper. The film also won a BAFTA award and was honored at Cannes.

Axel divided his time between France and Denmark, where he directed television series and movies. He also acted in several films.

Dutch films have been nominated 10 times for the foreign-language Oscar, including this year for Thomas Vinterberg’s The Hunt, starring Mads Mikkelsen. Pelle the Conqueror won in 1989, and In a Better World prevailed in 2011.

Axel’s wife of nearly 50 years, Lucie Axel Moerch, died in 1996. He is survived by their four children and eight grandchildren.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

Our morning news today brings us the very sad item that Shirley Temple has died yesterday at 85..

What an unbelievable year for our classic stars dying; there now can't be many left from the 30's...
It is especially sad since we remember her on the sceen as a child...

R.I.P. Miss Temple

Larry