Damages

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

I'm glad you answered my questions, but actually I was trying to be rhetorical rather than inquiring. But as usual, I love your analytical mind.>> :oops:

How do you know there are only three episodes left? What did I miss? >>

There was a commercial last night for new series premiering at 10:00 pm on 10/30.

So, I'm thinking that Damages is coming to a season close the week before....

Can this show sustain more than one season? Is there enough intrique to keep us coming back next season (yeah, there probably is).

Has Fox renewed it or will they? I would hate to think it ends on a cliff hanger and then gets canceled. Will ensure that I never watch the FX channel again.

But Ted Danson and Glenn Close, it has to get renewed, right?
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Holy Crap!!!

Anne:

Our posts got lost in the server crash but I saw your response to mine and agree that something is afoot.

Something made Patty flee after she left Ellen that final night in her (Patty's co-op) but what could it be? Did Frobisher finally get wise?

Seems Lila has been hanging in the apartment when Ellen and David aren't around. Ewww.

And it looks like Katie found the videotape and delivered it to David.

Poor Ray.

I will miss his wonderful Southern accent and hope the story line shows him to be vindicated.

Two eppys left!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Lynn:

That's the first thing we disagree on regarding Damages - I didn't like Ray at all ever from the beginning, so I'm not sorry to see him go, except in the way he did, yikes!!!

BTW, the writers are Tod and Glen Kessler, I'll have to figure out some connection to Tomorrow is Forever since their name and Orson Welles are the same.

That videotape is definitely the key to the whole 13 weeks. I read in the message boards that this is possibly going to be a regular thing on the order of 24 where a complete mystery is solved in a certain time frame although not a 24 hour one, but a kind of season mini-series, but not necessarily with the talents of Glenn Close and Ted Danson.

I kind of regret there only being two episodes left. I like seeing a show that holds my attention. I think you know I never missed an episode of The West Wing, nor Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip mainly because they were so well written and you never knew what was going to happen next. It sucks that Studio 60 wasn't renewed, but I think it just shows the mentality of your normal TV viewer right now. No thinking processes at use, except whether to pick A,B,C, or D.

You have to go to the cable channels to get any kind of noteworthy stuff, but this is an exception, I think since Nip and Tuck is sicko, and I don't care for Ad Men. Except for Nip and Tuck, FX seems to hold the honors for quality starting back a few years ago with The Shield.

I still find ER fascinating and since West Wing is gone, ER is back up there IMHO as the ace in writing, Law and Order has thinned itself out too much. I have other shows I watch, but none of them make you think like Damages has done, and I miss that.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Between 'catching up' on Jericho, Eureka, and Deadwood, I must be losing it badly. I could have sworn Katie had been done away with, but I probably had it confused with one of the other shows.

So, Peter Riegert was on the Securities Exchange and played around with insider trading huh? Okay, I can buy that!

Maybe there is going to be a 2nd season. The lead in could have been Ellen telling Patti she was going to get her absolved of David's murder, and then help her find out who killed him. There's the 2nd season, the search for David's killers.

I'm dying to know where the secret hiding place is.

Lynn, do you have any reasoning why the older guy used Patti's name in getting Ellen out of jail? Isn't he a lawyer also? Ellen worked for him originally didn't she? Now that I've asked you, I wonder if Ellen told him to do it that way to make Patti the attorney of record from the start of her case.

Gee whiz, gosh, and golly, did you notice how effective the acting, the look of fear and pain, and the regret all worked together to put across the fact that David went through some H**l before he died? We didn't even have to see and hear his moans, groans, and screeches to know something awful happened. I would call that a good job of acting and directing to forecast that kind of information wouldn't you Lynn? My imagination was working overtime while Ellen was looking around the bathroom. Such a shame that movie directors can't understand that fact.

Now we just have to contend with that final scene of those two guys following Ellen until next Tuesday!!!!!

Anne
Anne

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

I could have sworn Katie had been done away with, but I probably had it confused with one of the other shows. >>

Gregory Malina went to visit her for a weekend while her parents were out of town. While there, he made the videotape then took the dog out for a walk. While walking the dog, he was hit by a car. Katie woke up hearing the sirens responding.

Maybe there is going to be a 2nd season.>>

I'm thinking there has to be. I don't see how in one hour next week they can tie all the loose ends up. I can see the second season being about Ellen's trial and the hunt for not only the real killers but the link to Frobisher as well.

Lynn, do you have any reasoning why the older guy used Patti's name in getting Ellen out of jail?>>

Patti put up Ellen's bail but Nye (the older lawyer) is still the attorney of record. I thought he was the one decent guy in the show but after the phone call he made last night, I don't trust him.

I agree, the entire scene with Ellen walking around the apartment was very well done.

I still feel there is major secret about Patti that we don't know yet and it's not looking too good for her son right now either. Was he involved in the attack?

Cannot wait till next week! This has been a terrific series!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Anne,
Don't forget the finale (I'm thinking season) of Damages is TONIGHT!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Hi Lynn:

Just some thinking 'out loud'.

For the first time in all the episodes, I knew Frobisher was going to get shot from the very beginning of that scene by that older guy - the question is - Is he alive or dead?

Julia Hewes - Is Frobisher the Dad - did he dump Patti and that's why she hates him so much? And what's with Patti's son?

So, is Nye decent or not, working with the FBI doesn't necessarily make him a good guy.

Some secret hiding place!!!! Did you have any inkling?

What questions do you have and/or what other threads were left hanging?

FX is like all the other cable stations and runs their series every now and then in what they usually call a marathon. They did that with Damages on Saturday (I wish I had known, I would have called a friend who I'm sure would love this show), and I wouldn't put it past them to do it again this weekend in case you have any friends you want to get interested. Check it out on their site.

I'm going to have to make it a weekly habit to check the site to see when season two is going to start.

Tell me your thoughts.

Anne
Anne

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

For the first time in all the episodes, I knew Frobisher was going to get shot from the very beginning of that scene by that older guy - the question is - Is he alive or dead?>>

I'm not sure. No one is dancing on his grave, no press reports of his body being found, no one saying OMG Arthur Frobisher has been killed! Very strange. I kept expecting him to grab his cell phone and call 911. The man, after all, lived on his cell.

Julia Hewes - Is Frobisher the Dad - did he dump Patti and that's why she hates him so much? >>
Wow! I never made that leap but now that you have it certainly explains so much. That makes some sense too. Would explain Patty's hatred of Arthur and their off the books relationship. How many attorneys show up while you are having dinner to tell you what you are going to do and how much it will cost you. There is definitely a back story of some sort there.

And what's with Patti's son?>>
I got the feeling that Stepdad thinks he had something to do with the attack on Ellen (probably thinking it was meant to be Patti because he doesn't know it was Patti herself that called the hit).

So, is Nye decent or not, working with the FBI doesn't necessarily make him a good guy.>>

I'm glad it turned out to be the Feds and not Frobisher. But I don't trust the guy.

Some secret hiding place!!!! Did you have any inkling?>> None!

What questions do you have and/or what other threads were left hanging?>>

The dirty cop who came to the crime scene and took the flashlight. I'm guessing he will be a loose end tied up next season when the search for David's killer continues. I think that will be the secondary story line along with Ellen working for the Feds while Patti and Ellen take on another juicy case.

Also, the crazy girl Lila hasn't been completely cleared up. She was stalking David and hanging out in the apt. when they weren't there.

Do you think Ellen knows it was Patti that had Katie's dog killed in the beginning of the show?

FX is like all the other cable stations and runs their series every now and then in what they usually call a marathon. They did that with Damages on Saturday (I wish I had known, I would have called a friend who I'm sure would love this show), and I wouldn't put it past them to do it again this weekend in case you have any friends you want to get interested. Check it out on their site.

I'm going to have to make it a weekly habit to check the site to see when season two is going to start.>>

If FX stays true to form, look for it return next summer at about the same time it started this year.

Tell me your thoughts. >>

I thought it was a great series. It had some wonderful acting and took some great twists and turns that I wasn't expecting. It was skillfully written and directed. I am definitely coming back next season!

By the way, the lawyer who took over for Ray was played by the same actor who played Jack McCall, the guy who killed Wild Bill on Deadwood. Garrett Dillahunt.

TV Guide is saying it has been picked up for another 13 eppys next season.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

cmvgor

Post by cmvgor »

I stayed with this story from the first. Got tired of some of the jumps back and forth, but put up with them. Expected to be disappointed, and also expected the story to hang fire until the next season for some of the
important results. (Suit verdict? Homicice verdict? etc.) However, both of these issues were laid to rest, and it was a very satisfactory downfall of
a very irritating villain. I can go either way on keeping the Danson character alive to experience more humiliation.

It will be interesting to see what further information comes to light re the
Patty character. And there's a whole nother subplot awaiting with that
venomous son of hers.

I repeatedly went back to this show because there was usually nothing of
greater interest on at the time. I'm now glad I did see it.
"Faint heart never filled inside straight"
--Bret & Bart's Pappy
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Lynn:

Dillahunt looked vaguely familiar but I couldn't place him, plus the fact that everyone is so scrungy on Deadwood.

You're right, Ellen was never in the loop on Katie's dog.

Lila may just be gone because didn't Ellen have a face to face with her and tell her to get out of both her and David's life?

Now. . . was Patty's crying scene because she had planned Ellen's death, or because she realized someone had tried to kill her and got Ellen instead? I realize it seems like Patty set it up for Ellen to be in her apartment, but could that be coincidence?

cmvgor: lzcutter and I have watched from the first show. These writers are good enough to keep us interested and every week we have this little discussion, join us next season - always - the more the merrier!

Anne
Anne

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Now. . . was Patty's crying scene because she had planned Ellen's death, or because she realized someone had tried to kill her and got Ellen instead? >>

Anne,

I think Patty was crying because she sent someone to her home to kill Ellen and they screwed up. This is a loose end that she can't tie up very easily and will likely come back to haunt her next season.

Though I do like how Patty is trying to make Mr. Patty suspicious of her son and make him (hubby) believe that she was the intended target and not Ellen.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Anne!

It's official, Damages has been picked up for two more seasons. If the writer's strike does not go long, episodes will begin shooting later this winter for airing next summer.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

This just in: Glenn Close and Ted Danson have been nominated for a Golden Globe, as has the series itself.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Thanks for the info knitwit. That show certainly deserved some kind of recognition. It didn't seem to be getting any while it was on until the very last couple of weeks.

Anne
Anne

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Anne,

It's coming!!!

Wednesday evening/night is the premiere of season 2!!!!!
Lynn in Lake Balboa