TCM Message Boards

Chit-chat, current events
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

OK, thanks Vallo. I sent TCM an enquiry. Maybe they are updating the site again. Hopefully, this time for improvements! :)
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Me too.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Me too at 11am CST ! :cry:
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I have to agree with Inglis and Vallo, Why does anyone even try to post on TCM any longer? All of those trouble makers are still there, posting is a real problem technically speaking, and most of the members are what TCM has been searching for with their TV channel - younger ages. To each his own, but I can't help wondering why you continue to let the dog bite you.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

True enough, there are some trouble makers left there but there are also some folks that have some interesting things to say that don't post here. It's funny but there are half a dozen or so from TCM who have signed up here and never posted a thing. Others have quit after a short time with us.

Until Kyle and "filmover" and and "Chip" and "Frank Grimes" and some of the other good people jump ship and settle here I will still check in. Besides I can read Moira's blog there.

That being said, this is where I sign in first.
Chris

Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

I still post there, but I don't really devote much time to the place. I'd personally just rather post here. There are a few interesting people as movieman1957 says, that make the place worth it for me. For that reason, I keep signing in.

As for the rest, I just find it boring. If you're talking to people who are interested in having conversation and sharing info or knowlege, that's one thing, but many threads tend to lean toward total appreciation or condemnation of their subject. There is very little interaction going on. In short, some people are just talking to hear themselves talk.
Erebus

Post by Erebus »

I assume it’s fairly obvious to folks here that the TCM message board is going to persist as a forum of at least some insightful movie commentary, and that that’s as it should be. In addition to that, a fair number of thoughtful folks are going to stay away from the Oasis for no other reason than that the Oasis is infested by several arrogant, self-assured, politically overt people. I myself always come here armored in hip-waders. You know, “hip deep”? It’s in the water.

I usually don’t rise to the bait, mostly due to lack of effort, but I do notice, and it does impact behavior. Care not, or do. As for myself, I have no doubt as to how history will judge the cultural insanity of the early twenty-first century, but then I’ve always been a guy to set his eyes just a few degrees above what most take for the horizon. Some few of us will see the future as a function of the past, human nature being what it is.
vallo

Post by vallo »

I still like going there,only for the trivia and Information sections. Maybe because I keep a low profile on all the sites I go to, so I never had any confrontations with the trolls there. I still come here daily but you can find me there from time to time.

vallo
"We're all forgotten sooner or later. But not films. That's all the memorial we should need or hope for."
-Burt Lancaster
vallo

Post by vallo »

vallo wrote:I still like going there,only for the trivia and Information sections. Maybe because I keep a low profile on all the sites I go to, I never had any confrontations with the trolls there. I still come here daily but you can find me there from time to time.

vallo
"We're all forgotten sooner or later. But not films. That's all the memorial we should need or hope for."
-Burt Lancaster
SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

Erebus wrote:I assume it’s fairly obvious to folks here that the TCM message board is going to persist as a forum of at least some insightful movie commentary, and that that’s as it should be.
I agree with that. I don't post there much anymore, but that's largely a question of time, not of interest. While this site started as an offshoot of the TCM boards, we kept it going in the hopes of doing some different things. Hence our guest stars program, where we try to bring you direct contact with interesting people with a connection to classic films. Some people do resent the TCM boards, which I understand. But the staff here isn't filled with animosity towards them.
In addition to that, a fair number of thoughtful folks are going to stay away from the Oasis for no other reason than that the Oasis is infested by several arrogant, self-assured, politically overt people. I myself always come here armored in hip-waders. You know, “hip deep”? It’s in the water.

I usually don’t rise to the bait, mostly due to lack of effort, but I do notice, and it does impact behavior. Care not, or do. As for myself, I have no doubt as to how history will judge the cultural insanity of the early twenty-first century, but then I’ve always been a guy to set his eyes just a few degrees above what most take for the horizon. Some few of us will see the future as a function of the past, human nature being what it is.
Full disclosure: I'm a political liberal, but you knew that. Most people I know with an interest in politics at all, regardless of persuasion, are pretty intelligent people who keep their eyes above the horizon. We just have a different vision of what we want to see.

But this is not a liberal board. There is no homogenous viewpoint among either the members or the staff. We allow political topics in General Chat, which I mostly avoid because I'm the site administrator and I pay the bills here, and I don't want anyone leaving because of a real or perceived political bias on my part.

The only intervention you'll see from the moderators, liberal or conservative, will come when the discussion gets nasty and personal. Unless you want to confine yourself to posting at Free Republic or Red State, you're going to have to deal with differing viewpoints if you choose to post in political topics.
Bogie

Post by Bogie »

I visit the TCM boards from time to time. Mainly to read any interesting comments or to get a peek of the latest (early) schedule. I will say something every once in a great while but really this is where I read and post at the most.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Anyone having a problem getting on TCM board today?
Chris

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I haven't been able to log on once today. I had trouble over the weekend, too, periodically but not as bad as today.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

The message board has been down since about 6:00ish/9:00 (PST/EST) this morning.

I contacted TCM hours ago so hopefully they are working on it.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese