Remembering (or forgetting) Veteran's Day

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Hollis

Remembering (or forgetting) Veteran's Day

Post by Hollis »

Good afternoon all,

I don't know how anyone else feels, but I'm more than a bit disappointed by TCM's failure to commemorate Veteran's Day. Rather than pay tribute to those of us who have served our country, and more importantly, those who made the supreme sacrifice while doing so, TCM chose to grace us with a morning of "Dick Tracy" and an afternoon of "The Saint." I understand that it's "Guest Programmer Month" and I wouldn't presume upon them to alter their schedule during prime time, but I don't think it's asking too much to at least make mention of the holiday. After all, it's the lives of those who fought and died that paid for their right to air whatever they please, whenever they please. Given that the passing of a film star of the "Golden Era" is sufficient cause to preempt already scheduled programming, would one day's variance from an already published schedule be asking too much? I hardly think so. I'm certainly not calling for a boycott of TCM, and I'll remain a viewer for as long as they continue to broadcast, but I do feel as though a protest of some form be mounted. The only avenue I'm aware of is through e-mail, so that's what I've done. I wrote to "[email protected]" and expressed my feelings. I was neither vulgar nor profane because that sort of expression is simply uncalled for, but I did get my point across. Or at least I hope so. I strongly urge the rest of you to do the same if you feel at all like I do. It's not too soon to ensure that next year's holiday isn't neglected. Think of how John Ford, Jimmy Stewart, Bette Davis, John Garfield and the like who gave of themselves for their country would feel.

Respectfully and as always,

Hollis
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

I certainly feel as you do Hollis. These days come once a year for the freedoms we enjoy all year round. I don't think it's asking too much. There is a thread on TCM right now (in Hot Topics) where you can voice your feelings. While TCM does usually honor Memorial Day, I don't think a few films on Veteran's Day are out of line.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Thanks guys:

That's how much I respect both of you Hollis and Mr. A. First time in months I posted on TCM.

Here's a copy:

Considering how many actors and actresses of the day put a hold on their careers to join the army during WWII and Korea, it seems only right that TCM should repay the courtesy by running a couple of films in honor of the day. Since You Went Away, Until they Sail, and much as I am tired of it, even From Here to Eternity would have been nice, or Perfect Strangers. All are concerned with the war, but not necessarily with war scenes.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
klondike

Post by klondike »

Good for you, Anne; but let's not forget the Viet Nam vets, either; that war may not have the same patina of patriotic nostalgia to it (in people's memories, or in the films about it), but the experiences that arose from it were, and are, vital to the identity of 21st Century America.
And numerically, the death toll of "my" war competes easily (& sadly) with any of our other foreign conflicts.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Except for using them as props the Bush Regime ignores the plight of the veterans. Suicide rate among Iraq War vets is twice the national average. More on that tonight on the CBS Evening News with Katie Couric ! :(
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Klondike:

Please forgive me - Vietnam was my war, but the movies from that time were becoming too violent and I really didn't see many of them. Friends who knew me warned me so I stayed away. So my examples were WWII. Treatment of Vietnam vets was another example of dirty tactics our government plays, and has played since the settling of the West.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

While it is a shame that TCM didn't do more to observe Veteran's Day, it must be admitted that sometimes some stations (and theaters) do stuff in the name of Veteran's Day, or Memorial Day, that just isn't really well thought out.

For example, it really bugs me when "The Dirty Dozen" is scheduled as part of "a tribute to America's military personnel."

Did anyone really think that decision out? Do the characters played by Telly Savalas, Donald Sutherland and John Cassavettes really reflect honor on the people who wear the American uniform?
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

I suggest you save some of that liquor for Mr. Maggot. :wink:
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Me love you long time, joe(l) !

As always,

Hollis