Bad Movies You Love

Discussion of programming on TCM.
mrsl

Re: Bad Movies You Love

Post by mrsl »

INDEPENDENCE DAY

I searched but didn't find any reference to this one. I'm still on the fence about whether this movie was filmed tongue in cheek or on the level. Some of the lines by Mr. Loggia seem kind of 1930'ish, and although I love Bill Pullman in nearly everything he does, sometimes he seems to be going a bit over the top also. He reminds me a lot of Jeff Daniels in this because both guys often play similar roles. There is one line where the entourage is heading to the clean room where the Captain does not want to let Bill (Potus), in and Bill says: "Open . . . . . the door". The way he says it sounds like a real Pres. would act and say, but on the other hand it sounds kind of William Powell'ish in a Thin Man movie. In any case, when I'm channel surfing and run into it, I generally go ahead and watch to the end. I love Goldblum and Will Smith in the aircraft getting ready to set off the virus with their Oops, and When the fat lady sings. From beginning to end there are some interesting acting done and you think; 'This is on the level', then someone says or does something and you feel like you're back in the transition time between silents and talkies where everyone either over-acted, or continued using their faces to show emotions rather than words. If you're younger and have never seen it, you might want to take a shot at renting it for kind of a fun Saturday night to get your mind off of term papers coming up.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
DavidLanceRoten

Post by DavidLanceRoten »

I'll list a few that get mentioned among "bad" movies at times by various sources, or generally looked down upon for different reasons. Though I dig'em:

Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
The Lovely Bones
Independence Day
The Vow
TimeCop
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre II (86 version with Dennis Hopper. A riot! :D )
Vanilla Sky
Shallow Hal
Dead End (2003, Ray Wise)
D.O.A. (1988, Quaid/Ryan version)
The Villain (Kirk Douglas 1979-ish I think)

Hopefully the question wasn't related strictly to films shown on TCM :oops:
clore

Post by clore »

Bronxgirl48 wrote:Moira!!!! Can you believe I missed YOUNGBLOOD HAWKE????????? :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
I saw it listed for another airing on July 13, 430am (technically the 14th)
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

clore wrote:
Bronxgirl48 wrote:Moira!!!! Can you believe I missed YOUNGBLOOD HAWKE????????? :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
I saw it listed for another airing on July 13, 430am (technically the 14th)
Bless you, Clore! It's either wait till July or plunk down two sawbucks for the long-term pleasure of owning the DVD.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
clore

Post by clore »

My pleasure Moira. The film wasn't - I watched it a week or so ago. I prefer the earlier part of the career of Delmer Daves, but still I had to check this one out.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I love Delmer Daves earlier work too, esp. The Very Thought of You (1944), Pride of the Marines (1945), Dark Passage (1947), The Red House (1947), Broken Arrow (1950), Bird of Paradise (1951), 3:10 to Yuma (1957), Kings Go Forth (1958) and The Hanging Tree (1959). I corresponded with his son Michael awhile back and according to him, his father was trapped into the soapy (and secretly entertaining) stuff by two things:
his health (he had a very bad heart) & his unexpected success with the genre.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Thank you, clore! Oy, July?

But I've always had a yen for James Franciscus....
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I don't think he accepts Chinese currency.
Lucky Vassall

Post by Lucky Vassall »

But he'll give a sou to sue.

So sue me!
[size=85]AVATAR: Billy DeWolfe as Mrs. Murgatroid, “Blue Skies” (1946)

[b]“My ancestors came over on the Mayflower.”
“You’re lucky. Now they have immigration laws."[/b]
[i]Mae West, The Heat’s On” (1943[/i])

[b]:–)—[/b]
Pinoc-U-no(se)[/size]
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Liberace's attempt to break into the flickers is going to be aired this morning on TCM, April 7th at 9:30am (ET):

Sincerely Yours (1955) starring Liberace, Joanne Dru & Dorothy Malone in a remake of George Arliss' creaky but likable The Man Who Played God (1932). Liberace is an awful actor but he's so nice here you can (almost) understand why Joanne & Dorothy are tying themselves in knots over him. He plays (naturally) a "brilliant pianist" who becomes ill for a time and then stumbles around his strangely decorated penthouse looking for something to live for. Gordon Douglas, who directed some very entertaining films (Them!, Come Fill the Cup, I Was a Communist for the FBI, Between Midnight & Dawn, oodles of Our Gang shorts) was at the reigns behind the scenes of this one. It really must be seen to be believed. Here's a clip:
[youtube][/youtube]

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I'm actually seeing why he became such a big star . Despite the bad acting, he's very likable, and during the musical interludes I detect something I never noticed all those years ago watching him on Ed Sullivan - a ferocious ambition and drive, plus a charisma that almost forces you to watch him.

I laughed at the scenes with all the blue hairs disappointed that he was kissing Dorothy Malone. Even back then, he had a throng of older women lavishing him with their adoration. :D
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

The Sins of Rachel Cade, a bad movie with enormous entertainment value, is on TCM today, April 10th at 10:30am (ET).

Above: Angie Dickinson facing her two dilemmas: Roger Moore or Peter Finch? Moral Collapse or Seething Repression? We should all have such bad luck to wind up in a jungle with these guys.

We rambled on about this movie's um, charms, some time ago here: http://silverscreenoasis.com/oasis3/vie ... =90#p92434

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

A young Facebook friend was posting about bad movies. She mentioned THE HAPPENING. I thought she meant the 1967 comedy, which I haven't seen. But she was referring to the M. Knight Something or Other disaster from a few years ago. She's right. That one is REALLY bad!
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

OK folks, hold onto your hats or wigs (hairpieces) as the case may be - have I got a bad movie for you that you can love:

"The Prodigal" (1955):
It's on at 10:30AM (EDT) Sunday, so if you don't go to Sunday Mass or Sunday Go to Meeting, then you can worship Luscious Lana as a Highpriestess!!!

I well remember when this turkey was being made and visiting the set with Cheryl, Lana's daughter (she was 13 and I was 14). The sets were gigantic and 'out-of-this-world' and the huge snake entwinned bull shaped idol really scarred us and impressed us. I wonder what happened to it??
After this film and the next, "Diane" (1956), another stinker, Lana's career at MGM was over!!

Some gossipy trivia for you:
Lana and Edmond Purdom had a bit of an affair and it brought the end (among other reasons) to her marriage to Lex Barker).
Interestingly, Linda Christian ended Lana's liaison with Edmond, just as she destroyed Lana's affair with Tyrone Power some years before.

Larry
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

TCM is airing A Fever in the Blood (1961) tomorrow, May 14th at 4pm (ET). Angie Dickinson, the late Efrem Zimbalist, Jr., Don Ameche and an obscure actor named Carroll O'Connor pop up in this political potboiler.

All I can really remember about it from my distant childhood was that Efrem looked mighty fine to me in a plaid shirt & it was a shock to see the inventor of the telephone being seedy...see what you think of this epic, and, if you like, peruse Angie's chagrin over being sold down the river by Howard Hawks appearing in this film...now if only TCM would show The Bramble Bush (1960), my collection of Angie Dickinson Early Movie Missteps would be complete.:
[youtube][/youtube]

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks