Refugee Gallery of Characters

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
jdb1

Refugee Gallery of Characters

Post by jdb1 »

Hello, everyone. So glad to be here on this new category.
Today is April 19, and here are some character/supporting actors/production people who are celebrating birthdays today.

First, the venerable May Robson
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

More April 19 birthdays.

Madge Kennedy

Elinor Donahue

jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Another 4/19 birthday - Dick Sargent (a/k/a Darrin 2)
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Also a birthday on April 19 - Miss Jayne Mansfield

jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

It's April 20. Here are some birthdays:

Gregory Ratoff

Donald Wolfit

jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

More 4/20 birthdays:

Bruce Cabot

[Real name Etienne Peilissier Jacques de Bujac. Zut!]
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Another April 20 birthday - Nina Foch
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

One more birthday on April 20 - contemporary, but significant:

George Takei

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Thanks to the Brooklyn Girl for bringing this thread over! I had no idea about Bruce Cabot's real name! Was he French, French-American or a Canuck? Tres interressante! He is in a lot of my favorite movies. He also played a devilish "role" in Errol Flynn's memoirs.

And nice picture of young Nina Foch. Did anyone catch her last night in one of "Bob's Picks", My Name is Julia Ross? In some shots she looked just like Marlene Dietrich, I swear!
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

MissGoddess wrote:Thanks to the Brooklyn Girl for bringing this thread over! I had no idea about Bruce Cabot's real name! Was he French, French-American or a Canuck? Tres interressante! He is in a lot of my favorite movies. He also played a devilish "role" in Errol Flynn's memoirs.

And nice picture of young Nina Foch. Did anyone catch her last night in one of "Bob's Picks", My Name is Julia Ross? In some shots she looked just like Marlene Dietrich, I swear!
I didn't research Bruce Cabot very far - I'm interested to in finding out what his story is. I never would have pegged him for a Frenchman in light of his screen roles, but now that we know, we'll all probably say Oh, of course!

I saw only the first few minutes of "Julia Ross," and it looked interesting. Mr. O made a comment about the budget-saving technique of using closeups, and right from the start of the film I thought "this looks like a TV show," which made it seem sort of contemporary in style. Did you see the whole thing? (I can never get over the fact that Foch was once married to James Lipton. Somehow, it just doesn't seem right.)
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I haven't found out much about Bruce Cabot other than that he was born in Carlsbad, NM, and his father was a French army officer. What a French army officer was doing in Carlsbad I cannot say.

Cabot led a kind of adventurous, knockabout life as a young man - probably trying to "find" himself. He did find himself in Hollywood, where he attended a party and met David O. Selznick, who got work for him as an actor, and that's how Bruce Cabot got into the movies.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Today is April 21, and here are a few of the birthdays of note:

Sammee Tong (rear of photo)

jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Also born on May 21 - the amazingly versitile Anthony Quinn

jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

One more birthday of note on April 21. The woman who helped Helen Mirren win an Academy Award: