Hey, jdb!

Chit-chat, current events
klondike

Hey, jdb!

Post by klondike »

Hey, you Brooklyn gal!
Could that possibly be the lustrous & vastly underappreciated Ina Balin, featured so sweetly in your avatar?

Klondike
jdb1

Re: Hey, jdb!

Post by jdb1 »

klondike wrote:Hey, you Brooklyn gal!
Could that possibly be the lustrous & vastly underappreciated Ina Balin, featured so sweetly in your avatar?

Klondike
Yes, that's the former Ina Rosenberg of Brooklyn. Underappreciated is right - a lovely woman and a very capable actress. As I said elsewhere, this photo looks so much like me in my salad days that it's creepy - same hairdo, clothing and everything, only I have dark eyes, and Ina had green ones.

Now I'm looking more like Laura Hope Crewes on a bad day.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Ina was a great beauty. She left us too early. I could never see why her film career never took off. :cry:
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

ken123 wrote:Ina was a great beauty. She left us too early. I could never see why her film career never took off. :cry:
Not glamorous (read: "trashy") enough, I suppose. And not enough nice, dignified roles for someone like her - those were taken for the most part by actresses like Suzanne Pleshette. Ina did plenty of TV though. I saw her recently in a "Bonanza" rerun. I loved Ina in "Black Orchid." Have you seen it? She does quite well up against Sophia Loren, of all people.
klondike

Post by klondike »

I know what ya mean about Time playing etch-a-sketch with one's looks, jdb1; in the late 70's, I was physically likened to TV actor Dan Haggerty; in my early 40's, I was told (with annoying redundancy) how much I resembled Jerry Garcia; and for the last 5 years, the Missus likes to remark how much the character of Onslow on BBC's "Keeping Up Appearances" reminds her of my brother.
"But you're 19 years younger than he is!", she always concludes, bless her generous nature!

Klondike
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Does he wear sweater vests with a too long tee shirt? (Oh nice!)
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
ken123

Post by ken123 »

jdb1 wrote:
ken123 wrote:Ina was a great beauty. She left us too early. I could never see why her film career never took off. :cry:
Not glamorous (read: "trashy") enough, I suppose. And not enough nice, dignified roles for someone like her - those were taken for the most part by actresses like Suzanne Pleshette. Ina did plenty of TV though. I saw her recently in a "Bonanza" rerun. I loved Ina in "Black Orchid." Have you seen it? She does quite well up against Sophia Loren, of all people.
I have not seen " Black Orchid " in years, and I really don't remember anything about it. I remember Ina being very beautiful, but I may be confusing Black Orchid with another film. I found Ina very appealling from the first time that I saw her, probably in " The Comancheros " with John Wayne. :)
Last edited by ken123 on April 21st, 2007, 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
klondike

Post by klondike »

> "Does he wear sweater vests with a too long tee shirt? (Oh nice!)

Chris: HA! Thanks for that; when I read your quote, I could actually hear actor Geoffrey Hughes uttering that trademark phrase!
As for the way my brother dresses, he'd forego anything like a sweater vest as "faggy"; I have seen him in a "wife beater" (strap-style undershirt), and trust me, as he's built like an industrial-model Frigidaire, it's anything but "nice!"

Klondike
SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

klondike wrote:I know what ya mean about Time playing etch-a-sketch with one's looks
I grow more handsome all the time.
klondike

Post by klondike »

> "I grow more handsome all the time. "

And you're an Administrator for this site!

Great!

Next, I'll learn that you're a Microsoft stockholder, and you've got season tickets to Lambeau Field! :x

Klondike
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Next, I'll learn that you're a Microsoft stockholder, and you've got season tickets to Lambeau Field! Mad

Klondike

Around my family we call that LOmbeau field.

My sons and I have our own private little 'hate the Packers' clique.

Sorry Klondike!

Anne
SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

klondike wrote:Next, I'll learn that you're a Microsoft stockholder, and you've got season tickets to Lambeau Field! :x

Klondike
Well I have some Apple. I'm a Mac guy all the way, unless I'm at work where I have no choice.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

ken123 wrote:
jdb1 wrote:
I have not seen " Black Orchid " in years, and I really don't remember anything about it. I remember Ina being very beautiful, but I may be confusing Black Orchid with another film. I found Ina very appealling from the first time that I saw her, probably in " The Comancheros " with John Wayne. :)
The Comancheros is shown on cable fairly often. The thing I remember most about Black Orchid is that although Loren and Ina are supposed to be at odds over Loren's potential assumption of the role of Ina's stepmother, they acutally resembled each other quite a bit. I remember liking the movie very much, and haven't seen it since it's release decades ago. I remember the last scene, where Loren teaches Ina the proper way to pan-fry sausages. I often think of that when I am doing the same. Sometimes it's the little things that make movies a part of our lives.
klondike

Post by klondike »

> "Around my family we call that LOmbeau field.
My sons and I have our own private little 'hate the Packers' clique.
Sorry Klondike!
Anne[/quote] "

Cheer up, Anne, don't be despondent; once upon a time, da Bears went to the Superbowl and actually won, and in another 20 years, they'll probably get another chance!

Klondike
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

I enjoyed Ina Balin's performances a great deal. Black Orchid was a great movie, kind of reminiscent of The Rose Tatoo in some ways.

Anthony Quinn was great. I just remember Sophia making all those flowers and how Ina Balin's character shut herself up in her room like her mother did before she died. I haven't seen that movie in decades, but it was indelible for me.

Also, Balin was in an episode of The Dick Van Dyke show appearing as an artist and made Rob verrrry nervous and Laura naturally suspicious.
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor