British Films on 11/25/07

Discussion of programming on TCM.
moira finnie
Administrator

British Films on 11/25/07

Post by moira finnie »

Draw the curtains, put out the cat, pour a wee dram or open a bottle of Yoo-hoo if you prefer, but--in any case, do yourself a favor on a dark November evening and curl up before the electronic hearth with a bushelful of movies that will warm any cinephile's heart.

Thelma Schoonmaker, the widow of director Michael Powell and the renowned film editor, noted particularly for her long collaboration with Martin Scorsese, is the guest programmer for this evening's line-up of movies on TCM. Most have rarely been broadcast on American tv and some may not be available on dvd either. Here's the rundown:

Green For Danger (1946)
8:00 PM ET
A police inspector investigates an operating room death that may be murder. Cast: Sally Gray, Trevor Howard, Alastair Sim. Dir: Sidney Gilliat. BW-91 mins.

This is the first film that taught me that if necromancers do exist, they might just be shaped like actor Alastair Sim. Sims' unsettlingly calm and observant police inspector draws the truth out of an intense group of medicos in a wartime hospital. A very young Trevor Howard and Leo Genn are among the memorable staff members in this mystery.

The Edge of the World (1937)
10:00 PM ET
A fisherman fights to prevent changing times from destroying his family. Cast: John Laurie, Belle Chrystall, Eric Berry. Dir: Michael Powell. BW-72 mins, TV-PG

One of the first distinctively different Michael Powell films, shot on a shoestring and against considerable natural and financial odds in the Shetland Islands in a semi-documentary style. The remarkable landscape and unnerving shots of a people clinging to a spot on the sea as well as the strong undercurrent of Celtic darkness and poetry running through it helps to make this brief film unforgettable once it is seen.

The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp (1943)
11:30 PM ET
An aging military man looks back on the loves and friends who shaped his life. Cast: Roger Livesey, Deborah Kerr, Anton Walbrook. Dir: Michael Powell, Emeric Pressburger. C-163 mins, TV-G

A chance to see the recently deceased Deborah Kerr at the height of her red-haired beauty and on the cusp of a great international career. Powell and Pressburger's unique blend of the fanciful, the humorous and the elegaic in the British spirit was, according to some, a thorn in Winston Churchill's government's side because the film suggests (rather gently in retrospect), that being a gentleman and a warrior simultaneously while fighting a world war might not be possible. And of course, there are those of us more than a bit partial to a certain Mr. Roger Livesey and the dashing, yet reserved and thoughtful Anton Walbrook. Now, if only TCM could snag the rights to Dangerous Moonlight(1941) or La Ronde(1951)...

Age Of Consent (1969)
2:30AM ET
An artist runs off to the South Pacific and falls for a young girl there. Cast: James Mason, Helen Mirren, Jack McGowran. Dir: Michael Powell. C-107 mins, Letterbox Format

Haven't seen this in about 15 years, but if memory serves, the sensuality of the Great Barrier Reef, a blooming Helen Mirren, and the quiet magnetism of the unjustly forgotten James Mason, as well as a few rueful truths about time and the artistic impulse enliven this film. This is Michael Powell's last full length film. And there's a very amusing dog companion who competes with the noteworthy scene-stealer Jack McGowran for the comical moments here.

The Seventh Veil (1945)
4:15 AM ET
A concert pianist with amnesia fights to regain her memory. Cast: James Mason, Ann Todd, Herbert Lom. Dir: Compton Bennett. BW-94 mins, TV-PG

Boy, if you haven't seen this Freudian doozie before, you owe it to yourself to tape this one. Lots of psycho-babble from Herbert Lom as Ann Todd's shrink, trying to puzzle out the tangle of emotions she feels for the men in her life, particularly that chilly fellow, Mr. Mason.
Jezebel38

Post by Jezebel38 »

Well, I will be hunkered down on my sofa this evening watching this line-up, even though I've seen these titles several times over. Except for Age of Consent - this will be a first time for me - very curious to see such a young Helen Mirren. I just finished watching all of the intro/outro clips Thelma and RO taped over at the media room on the TCM site. She mentions that she and Martin Scorsese are working on a documentary about British film history/industry - yeah! - although she says it probably won't be completed for a couple years - boo!
klondike

Post by klondike »

MOIRA!

Thanks so much for this reminder!!
I have been on the prowl for an affordable copy of Edge of the World on eBay for well over half a year now . . just can't seem to nail one for less than the early 20's, after S&H . . I know, I know, it's Michael Powell, fer cryin' out loud, I shouldn't be so d#@*#d cheap . . but after topping out at paying $41.85 for a VHS of Disney's Alias Dr. Syn 3 years ago, I've gotten really tough with myself, and have become extremely reluctant to pay more than a total of 7 or 8 bucks each, for even those films I REALLY want!
:?
(I waffled for 6 weeks this past summer before bleeding forth $12.49 to Amazon for a DVD of A Canterbury Tale.)
:oops:
But thankfully, one of my true, old friends has an upscale disc system (and a Big Heart), and after whining to her on the phone just now, has agreed to burn me a copy, and even volunteered to round it out w/ Colonel Blimp, which will be fun to view if only to spot the elements that purportedly so vexed one Mr. W. Churchill.
Bogie

Post by Bogie »

I'll be watching Green For Danger, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp (again, as I LOVED that movie the first time I saw it) and maybe The Seventh Veil
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

I just saw Edge of the World and I must say that was a spectacular film. Incredible shots and good story. Kind of reminded me of Italian Neorealism before there was such a thing. Klondike you cheapskate, you shoulda told us about this movie a long time ago. 8)
Bogie

Post by Bogie »

Well my movie night got thrown out the window. First of all I couldn't understand half of what everyone was saying in Green For Danger and then I got disturbed by other people. I then watched the football game which oddly enough was actually good.

So....no movies for me tonight. :(
klondike

Post by klondike »

Mr. Arkadin wrote:I just saw Edge of the World and I must say that was a spectacular film. Incredible shots and good story. Kind of reminded me of Italian Neorealism before there was such a thing. Klondike you cheapskate, you shoulda told us about this movie a long time ago. 8)
Aye, 'tis guilty as charged I am, and offer ye no defense. :(
I shall report to the local pub of your choice, and surrender myself to downing Guinness/Drambuie boilermakers at gunpoint until I can be deemed properly punished - och, offer me no mercy, I nae deserve it!
Of Powell's magnificent The Edge of the World, I'll now say no further, as whate'er I could say, Moira can say 10 times the better, and should - and 'tis now your responsibility to see that she does . . and soon!
But, now, Green Is For Danger, what the little gem that was!
Droll, and yet taught with an almost Lewtonesque tension, with many welcome similarities to other 40's British Noir, for me most notably Ministry of Fear, and The Dead of Night. Crowning the capable ensemble acting therein is the incomparable Alastair Sim, so much an icon to filmgoers in the UK, held in great esteem by Hitchcock, and Bradbury, and Elizabeth II, not to mention the legion of fans of Dickens, Shakespeare and Barrie . . . and small wonder, I should say, as his own mother was born to Clan MacIntyre, whose feats & deeds pepper the Highlands near as thick as does the heather which is their ancient plant-badge . . . . what, gotten a little off-track you say?
Och-aye, but my devotion to Silver Screen Oasis remains at least 86 proof!
:wink:
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

Well, I watched "Green for Danger" last night. The mystery itself was very cleverly done, and I loved Alastair Sim as the mean detective.

However, the set up to the mystery, establishing everyone's motive for murder, got to be too much of a hospital soap opera for me. My wife walked out of the movie when the one nurse hystically stopped the dance and declared that someone was a murderer, etc. This was 2/3rds of a good movie chained to 1/3rd of a mediocre one.
SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

I recorded all of these based on moira's rec. Since I haven't watched them I have no opinion on how they are as films. Nevertheless, when I got up and flipped on the TV this morning, Age of Consent was on, and saw an utterly gorgeous Helen Mirren wearing a completely soaked and translucent shirt. No idea if the movie is good, but it's definitely getting burned to DVD.
knitwit45

Mr. Klondike....

Post by knitwit45 »

Would the fair sex be allowed to join ye in the Drambuie/Guiness boilermakers? OCH!!!! (McComb on me mither's side)

Does anyone have any info on Megs Jensen? She was really great in "Green for Danger"