*CANDIDS*

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
mongoII

Re: *CANDIDS*

Post by mongoII »

Judith, no doubt that "The Incredible Shrinking Man" was Williams' best role. It's too bad that Universal didn't chance him in better roles as they did with Rock. And it's too bad that he left us so early.
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Trouble in paradise for birthday gal Shelley Winters and hubby Anthony Franciosa
Joseph Goodheart
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Yes, Grant Williams did have a few meaty roles. He could have been maybe an Alan Ladd type, if he'd gotten the appropriate breaks. I've been unable to find much information about him, so I don't know what held him back. Could have been any number of things, I suppose. At least we have some interesting films to remember him by. And that great photo Joe posted.
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Sadly, it seems the sci-fi actors at Universal-International did not fare as well as the main streamers like Hudson, Curtis and Chandler. Fellas like Grant Williams, Jeff Morrow, John Agar and Rex Reason seemed to have hit their high at U-I and then their careers more or less went downhill.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Director Vincent Sherman and Ida Lupino on the set of "The Hard Way"
(just how cute is Ida Lupino?)
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

David Ladd visits his dad, Alan, on the "Saskatchewan" location at Banff Nation Park in the Canadian Rockies
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY
JILL ST. JOHN is 74 today

DEBRA PAGET is 81 today

MARIE WILSON (1916 - 1972)
Joseph Goodheart
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

Where is that vest that Grant Williams is wearing?
I want it.....

Larry
Last edited by Vecchiolarry on August 19th, 2014, 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Three years to retirement. I look forward to it every day.

Following up on Robert Culp, he was a friend of Sam Peckinpah's and appeared in an episode of The Westerner. He wrote a wonderful essay on The Wild Bunch, "Sam Peckinpah, the Storyteller and The Wild Bunch: An Appreciation," which was collected in Michael Bliss' anthology, Doing It Right: The Best Criticism on Sam Peckinpah's the Wild Bunch. He was as gifted a writer as he was an actor.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Image]
John Garfield shows Michael Daves, son of "Destination Tokyo" director Delmer Daves, how to operate an electric truck that hauls things around on the Warner Bros. lot
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Oscar nominated costume designer Irene.
Doris Day wrote in her 1975 autobiography that she got to know Irene quite well. One night after Irene had a few drinks, Irene told Day that the "love of her life" was Gary Cooper. On several other occasions Irene spoke about the intensity of her love for Cooper, and Day got the feeling that Irene had never mentioned this to anyone before her. Day wrote that today she honestly could not tell if they actually had or were having an affair, or if it was a one-sided love. Irene took her own life about a year and a half after Cooper's death from cancer.
On November 15th, 1962, she took a room at the Knickerbocker Hotel in Los Angeles, under an assumed name. She cut her wrists. This did not prove immediately fatal so she jumped to her death from the fourteenth floor window. Her suicide note read: "I'm sorry. This is the best way. Get someone very good to design and be happy. I love you all. Irene." She was 61 years old.
Joseph Goodheart
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Joe,

I remember very well that horrible day in Los Angeles. No body could believe that so wonderful and talented a lady would end her life that way.
I never knew Irene, but saw and spoke to Helen Rose often and knew Jean Louis and his wife, Maggie, quite well. We all were shocked...

Whenever I see her name listed in the credits, I remember first hearing that dreadful news.

Larry
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

The ultimate movie star of the 1940s
Joseph Goodheart
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Joe,

Gorgeous and glamourous - yes and a great star.

I often think of her shipped off in that mummy case in "The Man Who Came to Dinner" and what happened to her....
There's a whole new movie there, but Warners dropped the ball...

I love her voice too!!

Larry
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Ahhhh, the Oomph Girl. She's steeped and glammed to the teeth in the 1940's.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com