Any Trouble Accessing TCM Message Board?

Discussion of programming on TCM.
moira finnie
Administrator

Any Trouble Accessing TCM Message Board?

Post by moira finnie »

Has anyone else had any problems with access to the TCM Message Board today, Sat., Dec. 8th? Did the squirrel fall off his treadmill or am I the only one who doesn't seem to be able to view it?
Thanks. Just wondering :?
Jezebel38

Post by Jezebel38 »

Yeah - I've noticed the problems today; either very slow or cannot access the boards at all.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Thanks, Jezebel. Maybe they're trying to repair some of the unfortunately lost features that were affected by the upgrade in September.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Count me in as having access problems as well.

No matter what I do it won't load the message board page properly.

Luckily, I can access the schedule page no problem.

Count me and Mr Cutter in for those watching Casablanca tonight!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

I can get on the site, but not the message boards.

Sandy K
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

As for me, screw the message board, but I will be watching Casablanca tonight for the 150 time.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Mr Cutter and I had a great time watching TCM this evening.

I was looking forward to writing about my observations in the Casablanca thread.

But alas, the damn message board is still not working properly.

It's amazing how difficult that message board can be to access on a daily basis.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

lzcutter:

Is THAT why there are no continuing discussions on certain movies on this board? Why not start a thread devoted to certain movies here? I've done it and always wondered why so few people never responded, yet when I go over there, I find posts on the very movies I posted about. This is very irritating. I prefer to discuss classic movies with classic movie fans, of which there are very few on the TCM boards anymore, but if you are putting your comments on the TCM boards and not here, then why was this board started other than to get away from certain troublesome egos? I know some of you still retain a certain sense of loyalty to TCM, and if you do, I get it, but at the same time, if you do post about something over there, I wish you would copy it over to here also.

Ms Goddess, moirafinnie, lzcutter and several others are the reasons I like this board so much; they give sensible, interesting credence to many movies and it bothers me that I may have missed some of their comments because they are not posting them here. When I do go over there, I never sign in anymore unless I see something I want to comment on in the Western genre, and when I do that, I copy the post to the same thread here. I know that can be time consuming, but please do so if you can.

It just seems to me that TCM has mastered their goal, and their boards seem to be filled with more and more post 1960 fans week after week.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

I very much agree with Anne's sentiment. We should be discussing that stuff here. I would have liked to give my thoughts on Casablanca (which are not positive--sorry), but felt I would just be shouted down by the majority there who don't really want to discuss the film.

I personally would like to see interaction like that here where I actually think it could become meanignful and go somewhere.

Many threads at TCM are dominated by posts that have nothing really to contribute in knowlege or insight to the thread. They are simply adding on to it. While I think everyones POV is valid and worth sharing, I'm not interested in reading 8 pages of "I love it too" type posting. Many times when people have different insights at TCM it becomes an ego battle. People are less concerned with gaining knowlege (beit positive or negative) than winning an argument (threads should never reach an argument stage--they should just be discourse).

I feel that everyone here is mature enough to take a film like Casablanca (or anything else) and analyze it from all sides. The idea is not to convert people to your way of thinking, but to stockpile information that will let whoever reads the thread in the future have many different viewpoints and make up their own mind about the subject in question.
Jezebel38

Post by Jezebel38 »

I visit the TCM boards, as well as post here, and wish the activity level here was a little more brisk - maybe in time. My hunch is that the people here, being generally bright and knowledgeable, perhaps spend less time on the internet, especially over the weekends, than those over at the TCM boards. There still are a few weirdo's and obsessive types over there, who wouldn't fare well over here, since we are moderated.
SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

I also wish we had more activity, but I'm as much to fault for that as anyone. But feel free to invite any movie fans to the site. We did just gain our 100th member!
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I have had trouble accessing the forums since Saturday and this morning I can't get on at all.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, this site is not picture-friendly and I'm too inordinately fond of attaching large images to ever give up TCM entirely (so long as it remains picture-friendly). Also, I don't often have alot to contribute knowledge-wise to discussions but I do like to say silly things, lol.

However, I visit here most every day.
vallo

Post by vallo »

I can get on the forum. But, not sign in...There loss :lol:

vallo
"We're all forgotten sooner or later. But not films. That's all the memorial we should need or hope for."
-Burt Lancaster
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I'd like more people to post here, but think perhaps the people who do post, do so pretty thoughtfully here. Perhaps it should bother me more than it does that we don't have oodles of people who will post 24/7--but it seems that our quiet growth since April might be indicative of quality over quantity. As Jezebel points out, many of us can only post occasionally due to our real world responsibilities, not necessarily our interest in a topic. I wouldn't take it too personally if others don't respond to a comment or a thread immediately. Sometimes it takes time for others to see films or to find time to write here.

Regarding people who post here and on TCM: why not?
Just as a person can have more than one friend at a time, I see no reason why any of us should restrict our postings solely to this board. TCM's board has several interesting people who choose to post there but who also visit our board regularly to read the threads. Some of them post here as well, but not all. It's a different mix at each message board or discussion group one visits and who doesn't like variety?

The fact that this board is actively moderated may inhibit some, but there's certainly room for differing opinions here, and if one wants to get into a tussle--okay, but as long as we keep it clean and remember, it's only a movie!...we'll each of us survive, one way or another.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

It would be good if we had more activity but I'm more curious as to why some have not continued with us. Also if you look at the memberlist most of the recent members haven't posted much, if at all. Where else are you getting guests who are willing to answer questions. That's been wonderful. The board is very user friendly and we've kept it to a manageable scale.

I do still look in on TCM. Some of the people there don't post here and I like to see what they are up to. I sure don't go through it like I used to. I also like to do the Programming Challenge (this time hosted by the sorely missed Kyle.) There's room for both.

I think that if one sees a topic there and think it will work here why not start it here too. We've done it before with good results.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."