Rio Bravo

GaryCooper

Rio Bravo

Post by GaryCooper »

Movies are written in sand: applauded today, forgotten tomorrow.
D. W. Griffith
ElCid

Re: Rio Bravo

Post by ElCid »

About the only two John Wayne movies I like are Rio Bravo and El Dorado. El Dorado is ahead because it has Robert Mitchum and a young James Caan. I do like Dean Martin and Angie Dickinson in Rio Bravo, but don't see much use for Ricky Nelson.
I understand that El Dorado was a reworking of Rio Bravo.
The car is a 1958 De Soto Fireflite Sportsman hardtop.
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

ElCid wrote: December 8th, 2022, 7:15 pm About the only two John Wayne movies I like are Rio Bravo and El Dorado. El Dorado is ahead because it has Robert Mitchum and a young James Caan. I do like Dean Martin and Angie Dickinson in Rio Bravo, but don't see much use for Ricky Nelson.
You don’t like Stagecoach? :o
ElCid

Post by ElCid »

LostHorizons wrote: December 8th, 2022, 9:06 pm
ElCid wrote: December 8th, 2022, 7:15 pm About the only two John Wayne movies I like are Rio Bravo and El Dorado. El Dorado is ahead because it has Robert Mitchum and a young James Caan. I do like Dean Martin and Angie Dickinson in Rio Bravo, but don't see much use for Ricky Nelson.
Haven't seen it in many, many years and it was OK, but not something I am interested in watching again.
The car is a 1958 De Soto Fireflite Sportsman hardtop.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Stagecoach is a first rate Western. I don't really view it as a John Wayne film but more of an ensemble film with many fine actors. Wayne plays his part well and has solid chemistry with Claire Trevor.
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

ElCid wrote: December 9th, 2022, 11:14 am
Haven't seen it in many, many years and it was OK, but not something I am interested in watching again.
I find that surprising as it’s generally regarded as the quintessential western. I could understand if you said that exact line about the Searchers though because that one never really was all that great to me.
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: December 9th, 2022, 12:26 pm
Stagecoach is a first rate Western. I don't really view it as a John Wayne film but more of an ensemble film with many fine actors. Wayne plays his part well and has solid chemistry with Claire Trevor.
I view it as a John Wayne film. The climax is the Ringo Kid fighting the bad guy and it ends with him riding off gallantly into the sunset. The other characters like Doc Boone are good but I would hardly call it a Doc Boone centered movie.