portrait of jennie

CineMaven

Re: portrait of jennie

Post by CineMaven »

Feaito....I hope that all is safe for you and your family during this devastating and catastrophic event in Chile. Be well!!!!!
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
feaito

Post by feaito »

I'm fine Theresa. There's more info on a thread that Moira created. Thanks for your concern and kind words.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

PORTRAIT OF JENNIE Is one of my favorite movies. I first saw it when I was in elementary school (I think I was home sick from school and saw it on cable TV). The memory of this movie stayed with me, but I did not see it again until I saw it on TCM as an adult. It’s the final movie pairing of Jennifer Jones and Joseph Cotten.

The first time I saw it I didn't know if the younger Jennie was played by the same actor who played her as an adult because I was not familiar with Jennifer Jones. If a movie like this were made today -- say with Sandra Bullock --- audiences would recognize the actor playing Jennie throughout because she would be familiar to them just as Jennifer Jones was familiar to audiences at the time that PORTRAIT OF JENNIE was released.

I love movies that incorporate elements of fantasy or the supernatural into an otherwise “realistic” narrative. This technique is rarely used in American movies except for horror movies. Another excellent use of this technique is found in THE LAKE HOUSE (with Sandra Bullock and Keanu Reeves). Actually, I think PORTRAIT OF JENNIE and THE LAKE HOUSE would make a great double feature.

dianedebuda

Post by dianedebuda »

Never thought about the shared aspects of both movies, but you're right. Very fond of both of them.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Below are the trailers for PORTRAIT OF JENNIE (1948) and THE LAKE HOUSE (2006).

Interestingly, the PORTRAIT OF JENNIE trailer does not mention any of the movie's fantasy/supernatural elements, instead promoting it as "An Adventure in Love" and " An Adventure in Peril." THE LAKE HOUSE trailer, on the other hand, focuses on these elements with the caotions ( "WHAT IF YOU FOUND THE ONE YOU WERE MEANT FOR BUT YOU LIVED TWO YEARS APART") and "the voice-overs ("a love without limits and a place that reaches across time").

Both trailers also emphasize the locations of the movies: New York City for A PORTRAIT OF JENNIE and Chicago for THE LAKE HOUSE. As someone from the Chicago area, I love seeing Sandra Bullock riding the CTA el, Keanu Reeves running to a departing Metra train and the cars driving down Lake Shore Drive.

dianedebuda

Post by dianedebuda »

HoldenIsHere wrote: November 20th, 2022, 9:32 pmBoth trailers also emphasize the locations of the movies: New York City for A PORTRAIT OF JENNIE and Chicago for THE LAKE HOUSE. As someone from the Chicago area, I love seeing Sandra Bullock riding the CTA el, Keanu Reeves running to a departing Metra train and the cars driving down Lake Shore Drive.
I grew up in NW Indiana (Hammond) and had similar reactions to the "L" and LSD scenes in the Windy City. Now if they'd only managed to add something at The Museum of Science and Industry... 8)
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

dianedebuda wrote: November 21st, 2022, 12:11 pm
HoldenIsHere wrote: November 20th, 2022, 9:32 pmBoth trailers also emphasize the locations of the movies: New York City for A PORTRAIT OF JENNIE and Chicago for THE LAKE HOUSE. As someone from the Chicago area, I love seeing Sandra Bullock riding the CTA el, Keanu Reeves running to a departing Metra train and the cars driving down Lake Shore Drive.
I grew up in NW Indiana (Hammond) and had similar reactions to the "L" and LSD scenes in the Windy City. Now if they'd only managed to add something at The Museum of Science and Industry... 8)
I never realized before how many of us are from the Chicagoland and Wisconsin area. It seems disproportionate to the amount of users overall.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

dianedebuda wrote: November 21st, 2022, 12:11 pm
I always like seeing familar Chicago locations in movies!

The lake house in THE LAKE HOUSE was constructed in the Chicago suburb of Willow Springs. The house was removed after filiming was completed.