Noir Alley

laffite

Re: Noir Alley on TCM

Post by laffite »

Dargo wrote: December 5th, 2022, 12:54 pm
laffite wrote: December 5th, 2022, 2:50 am ...She gets the Giddy Award for her "It's all mine, it's all mine, it's all mine," which reminds me of a movie but with no idea which one. Pop Quiz : Name a movie that has a sequence like that. I can see Gene Wilder going wild like that, didn't he have a scene like that?
You sure you're not thinking of Dafffy Duck in 1957's ALI BABA BUNNY here, laffite???...

:wink:

My favorite cartoon short of all time, btw.

(...and btw again, I thought Jean was great in this and can see why Eddie raved about her performance...and yes, such a shame she died so young)
Yeah, Dargo, that's the idea. There was no sound but I can well imagine Daffy sounding like that.

Even better that Duck Twacy? Or were there more than one.

Dargo, a propos, do you remember Looney Tune cartoons that were what we might call generic?. None of the big stars. They were not in color. But they were a very sharp black and white. They were often not little stories but vignettes. In once cartoon it may have been about sports, a guy hits a ball to demonstrate a screaming line drive with the ball come towards the viewer and the ball is screaming like mad with a face on the ball and a big screaming mouth. I made an attempt to google this type of cartoon some time ago but with no success. I was not certain about what key words to use.

Do you remember Cartoon Carousel, 4-530pm, Ch 5 in Los Angeles, late 50s-60s. There was this fellow standing on a podium and looking at the camera and introduced each cartoon. I don't know your age but I think you are something close to me but perhaps 10 years younger than me. I don't mean to date you (O come'on you know what I mean LOL).
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

I thought Eddie oversold this one. Pretty bad. Acting. Story. Everything. Mercifully it was short. The actor who played the doctor was so bad. The Femme Fatale, ridiculously over the top. Sometimes Monograms can be pretty good. This one wasn't!
laffite

Post by laffite »

Hibi wrote: December 5th, 2022, 2:34 pm I thought Eddie oversold this one. Pretty bad. Acting. Story. Everything. Mercifully it was short. The actor who played the doctor was so bad. The Femme Fatale, ridiculously over the top. Sometimes Monograms can be pretty good. This one wasn't!
I liked the doctor, he seemed real, almost not like an actor at all, but yet enough technique to show he was. He was understated though and may not come through for everyone.

I am undecided about the FF. She was pushy in a general sense but not exactly my idea of a FF. She cajoled Frankie through iron bars but he was already smitten from the beginning. She seemed to be quite in control in general. I'm struggling with this. Was there something in Gillie's performance that missed the mark in some way?

Monograms? Maybe you'll refresh my memory, assuming that I have one.

Thanks.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

laffite wrote: December 5th, 2022, 1:57 pm

Yeah, Dargo, that's the idea. There was no sound but I can well imagine Daffy sounding like that.

Dargo, a propos, do you remember Looney Tune cartoons that were what we might call generic?. None of the big stars. They were not in color. But they were a very sharp black and white. They were often not little stories but vignettes. In one cartoon it may have been about sports, a guy hits a ball to demonstrate a screaming line drive with the ball come towards the viewer and the ball is screaming like mad with a face on the ball and a big screaming mouth. I made an attempt to google this type of cartoon some time ago but with no success. I was not certain about what key words to use.

Do you remember Cartoon Carousel, 4-530pm, Ch 5 in Los Angeles, late 50s-60s. There was this fellow standing on a podium and looking at the camera and introduced each cartoon. I don't know your age but I think you are something close to me but perhaps 10 years younger than me. I don't mean to date you (O come'on you know what I mean LOL).
The screaming baseball sequence you recall is actually in 1946's BASEBALL BUGS here at the 0:45 second mark. I've set it to that mark once you click on it:

And yes, I am indeed old enough to remember L.A.'s "Cartoon Carousel" show, and which was hosted by ventriloquist "Skipper" Frank Herman here:
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

laffite wrote: December 5th, 2022, 2:55 pm
Hibi wrote: December 5th, 2022, 2:34 pm I thought Eddie oversold this one. Pretty bad. Acting. Story. Everything. Mercifully it was short. The actor who played the doctor was so bad. The Femme Fatale, ridiculously over the top. Sometimes Monograms can be pretty good. This one wasn't!
I liked the doctor, he seemed real, almost not like an actor at all, but yet enough technique to show he was. He was understated though and may not come through for everyone.

I am undecided about the FF. She was pushy in a general sense but not exactly my idea of a FF. She cajoled Frankie through iron bars but he was already smitten from the beginning. She seemed to be quite in control in general. I'm struggling with this. Was there something in Gillie's performance that missed the mark in some way?

Monograms? Maybe you'll refresh my memory, assuming that I have one.

Thanks.
I was referring to Monogram Studios. They produced B films. Like this one. Sometimes they could be fairly good. This wasn't.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Just a note to say that I am not sure the threads can be combined. I think we would hesitate to delete one for the other with comments in there that might be lost. I would be more inclined to think one might become the primary thread for it. Lomm is the expert on all technical things but will see what can happen, if anything.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
laffite

Post by laffite »

Dargo wrote: December 5th, 2022, 3:15 pm
laffite wrote: December 5th, 2022, 1:57 pm

Dargo, a propos, do you remember Looney Tune cartoons that were what we might call generic?. None of the big stars. They were not in color. But they were a very sharp black and white. They were often not little stories but vignettes. In one cartoon it may have been about sports, a guy hits a ball to demonstrate a screaming line drive with the ball come towards the viewer and the ball is screaming like mad with a face on the ball and a big screaming mouth. I made an attempt to google this type of cartoon some time ago but with no success. I was not certain about what key words to use.

The screaming baseball sequence you recall is actually in 1946's BASEBALL BUGS here at the 0:45 second mark. I've set it to that mark once you click on it:

And yes, I am indeed old enough to remember L.A.'s "Cartoon Carousel" show, and which was hosted by ventriloquist "Skipper" Frank Herman here:

I see the show was from '59 - '63, I would have seen it only in the first couple of those years. The show was not elaborate, like the photo you posted. Just standing behind the podium, that was it. Maybe this during those early years. There seems a resemblance with the host but not overwhelming so. My host was laid back without an expansive personality as might be needed for a fuller show, and he seemed to have slight deformity with his upper lip, but not conclusive.

The person i remember may have had a show called Sports and News on Channel 13, ring a bell. Or that may be San Diego. I think he die work in San Diego after '63.

Whatever. Thanks, Dargo. There are probably other shows we both remember. i was in San Diego where a simple outdoor antenna could reach most L.A. stations. We did not get, 7, 9, 11 but all the rest, yes. Thanks.
jameselliot

Post by jameselliot »

Dargo wrote: December 4th, 2022, 5:58 pm
jameselliot wrote: December 4th, 2022, 1:40 pm Hilarious film with a good femme fatale. The kind of film that Mystery Science Theater 2000 goofs on. Sheldon Leonard made a great decision quitting acting and becoming a producer.
Aaah, c'mon now, JE. I've always liked Sheldon, and especially liked him in this film. I thought he carried off the "tough cop" role very well in it.

Btw, this conversation reminds me of the time CigarJoe (I'm pretty sure it was) and I disagreed about him on the old TCM boards years ago. As I recall, CJ said he didn't like his acting because he always felt his NYC "street" accent was always laid on way too thick and to the point of being too stereotypical, and that nobody in CJ's native NYC really talks like that.
I liked Sheldon when he played Sorgi on ISpy. My comment was more about making a good decision by choosing a career in production than criticism about his acting.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

jameselliot wrote: December 6th, 2022, 10:49 pm
Dargo wrote: December 4th, 2022, 5:58 pm
jameselliot wrote: December 4th, 2022, 1:40 pm Hilarious film with a good femme fatale. The kind of film that Mystery Science Theater 2000 goofs on. Sheldon Leonard made a great decision quitting acting and becoming a producer.
Aaah, c'mon now, JE. I've always liked Sheldon, and especially liked him in this film. I thought he carried off the "tough cop" role very well in it.

Btw, this conversation reminds me of the time CigarJoe (I'm pretty sure it was) and I disagreed about him on the old TCM boards years ago. As I recall, CJ said he didn't like his acting because he always felt his NYC "street" accent was always laid on way too thick and to the point of being too stereotypical, and that nobody in CJ's native NYC really talks like that.
I liked Sheldon when he played Sorgi on ISpy. My comment was more about making a good decision by choosing a career in production than criticism about his acting.
Ah, now I understand. Your comment was not meant in any qualitative manner as to his acting abilities, but only in regard to how his move to producing would increase his influence within the industry and his personal wealth. Good point.

(...thanks for the clarification)
ElCid

Post by ElCid »

movieman1957 wrote: December 5th, 2022, 3:36 pm Just a note to say that I am not sure the threads can be combined. I think we would hesitate to delete one for the other with comments in there that might be lost. I would be more inclined to think one might become the primary thread for it. Lomm is the expert on all technical things but will see what can happen, if anything.
I created both threads inadvertently. I created one under Crime and Film Noir before I discovered a TCM section on the Board Index. Leaving both accessible will be confusing.
Recommend that one under Crime and Film Noir be combined with one under TCM. Also, that on the Board Index page, Noir Alley be added to the three categories currently listed for TCM.
Thanks,
The car is a 1958 De Soto Fireflite Sportsman hardtop.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

ElCid wrote: December 7th, 2022, 7:51 am I created both threads inadvertently. I created one under Crime and Film Noir before I discovered a TCM section on the Board Index. Leaving both accessible will be confusing.
Recommend that one under Crime and Film Noir be combined with one under TCM. Also, that on the Board Index page, Noir Alley be added to the three categories currently listed for TCM.
Thanks,
ElCid,

Ask and ye shall receive! Check it out!

TCM FORUM
Last edited by EP Millstone on December 7th, 2022, 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
ElCid

Post by ElCid »

EP Millstone wrote: December 7th, 2022, 11:01 am
ElCid wrote: December 7th, 2022, 7:51 am I created both threads inadvertently. I created one under Crime and Film Noir before I discovered a TCM section on the Board Index. Leaving both accessible will be confusing.
Thanks,
ElCid,

Ask and ye shall receive! Check it out!

TCM FORUM

I created a Legacy Noir Ally Posts topic with a link to posts by you, Thompson, jamesjazzguitar, et al.).
Thanks for the heads up and placing a "legacy" section in there. :D
ElCid

Post by ElCid »

New Topic, Noir Alley works and is on the list under TCM on the Board Index page, Unfortunately all the comments up to this point are still under Noir Alley on TCM.
Still trying to get used to how this site works. But appears Noir Alley under TCM on Board Index page would be the place to go to discuss Noir Alley. This week's feature is Walk Softly, Stranger (1950). Joseph Cotton, Alida Valli and Spring Byington. 12:15 AM late Saturday night and 10 AM Sunday.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

ElCid wrote: December 7th, 2022, 11:09 am Thanks for the heads up and placing a "legacy" section in there. :D
You're welcome! I deleted the legacy folder after Lomm transferred your Noir Alley on TCM topic to this forum (Thank you, Lomm!), to avoid duplication and confusion.
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Boy, that Millstone knows his stuff. We want EP Millstone as moderator and general manager. He gets things done, doesn’t straddle the fence, doesn’t take no for an answer. Helps those in need without taking credit, always starts every day with a smile. I guess we could get a petition up to get Millstone elected president of the board.