Movie trivia?

LostHorizons

Re: Movie trivia?

Post by LostHorizons »

laffite wrote: December 5th, 2022, 8:17 pm Who is the only character to be brought back to life in a noir?
Was it Frankie Olins in Decoy? I’m sure there are other examples if you include neo-noir. The Spirit (2008) also comes to mind.
laffite

Post by laffite »

LostHorizons wrote: December 5th, 2022, 10:49 pm
laffite wrote: December 5th, 2022, 8:17 pm Who is the only character to be brought back to life in a noir?
Was it Frankie Olins in Decoy? I’m sure there are other examples if you include neo-noir. The Spirit (2008) also comes to mind.
Yes, it was ; playing off the recently shown Decoy on Noir Alley. Good one.

It's your play
Winter
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

The last truly silent film released by Hollywood in the US. Note: it’s not silent with a synchronized score but rather truly silent in case you were thinking of a certain Chaplin film. Also it is in two strip techcnicolor.
MilesArcher

Post by MilesArcher »

It is "Legong: The Dance Of The Virgins" or "Legong The Killer" from 1935.
It was directed by Henri de ls Falaise, a French director who was previously married to Gloria Swanson. At the time he made this film, he was married
to Constance Bennett. It was rumored that she put up most of the money for the movie, which was filmed on location in Bali.
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

MilesArcher wrote: December 7th, 2022, 4:38 pm It is "Legong: The Dance Of The Virgins" or "Legong The Killer" from 1935.
It was directed by Henri de ls Falaise, a French director who was previously married to Gloria Swanson. At the time he made this film, he was married
to Constance Bennett. It was rumored that she put up most of the money for the movie, which was filmed on location in Bali.
Yes, correct, Miles. This film is little remembered today but it is the last true silent of the silent film era. You’re turn to pose a trivia question.
MilesArcher

Post by MilesArcher »

Thanks, LH.
Now, who was the very pretty chorus girl who was featured in the "Young And Healthy" production number with Dick Powell in "42nd Street"?
KayFrancis

Post by KayFrancis »

MilesArcher wrote: December 7th, 2022, 5:08 pm Thanks, LH.
Now, who was the very pretty chorus girl who was featured in the "Young And Healthy" production number with Dick Powell in "42nd Street"?
Toby Wing ?
MilesArcher

Post by MilesArcher »

That is correct, Kay. She had small roles, usually unbilled, in several thirties movies. Kay, you're up next. By the way, I tried to send you a PM in SSO
a few days ago. Please let me know if you got it.
KayFrancis

Post by KayFrancis »

According to this Oscar winning actress ( not an Oscar winner for this film question is about ), she said that her co-star was so nervous that some scenes had to be done 30 to 40 times. The actress did not complain. Years later the actor thanked her for being so nice to him and told her he loved her for it. It's a 1950's drama
Film, Actress and Actor ???
KayFrancis

Post by KayFrancis »

The actress was nominated for this film but didnt win this time
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

KayFrancis wrote: December 17th, 2022, 10:50 am The actress was nominated for this film but didnt win this time
This is a wild guess, but for some reason I'm thinking Liz Taylor, Paul Newman, and Cat On a Hot Tin Roof?
Watching until the end.
KayFrancis

Post by KayFrancis »

That's a good guess but not the film and not those stars.

Here's a new clue

The director was known for his melodramas and use of beautiful, colorful cinematography
KayFrancis

Post by KayFrancis »

This film is a remake of a 1935 film with the same title
MilesArcher

Post by MilesArcher »

I think you are referring to "Magnificent Obsession" with Jane Wyman and Rock Hudson. It was directed by Douglas Sirk. The original version in the thirties starred Irene Dunne and Robert Taylor. A year after "Magnificent Obsession", Jane and Rock were teamed up again in "All That Heaven Allows" with Douglas Sirk again directing.
KayFrancis

Post by KayFrancis »

MilesArcher wrote: December 20th, 2022, 1:37 am I think you are referring to "Magnificent Obsession" with Jane Wyman and Rock Hudson. It was directed by Douglas Sirk. The original version in the thirties starred Irene Dunne and Robert Taylor. A year after "Magnificent Obsession", Jane and Rock were teamed up again in "All That Heaven Allows" with Douglas Sirk again directing.
All correct Miles. Jane Wyman and Rock Hudson in The Magnificent Obsession. It was the start of Rock's career. Jane told this story and then said Rock thanked her years later and loved her for having the patience and helping him . Douglas Sirk of course was the director known for his melodramas that are now known as classic masterpieces.
Good work Miles, I hope this thread will have some participation
Your turn