Top Ten Vincent Price Films

Detective Jim McLeod

Top Ten Vincent Price Films

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

My favorites in chronological order

1) House Of Wax (1953)-Price is great as the mad artist who seeks revenge on those who destroyed his wax figures.

2) The Fly (1958)-Price is the good guy brother of a scientist who turns into a fly-man.The final scene on the spider web is still pretty shocking.

3) House On Haunted Hill (1959)-The scariest film of my childhood,with Price as millionare who invites a group of people to survive a night in a haunted house.

4) The Tingler (1959)-Price is the good guy again,playing a scientist who discovers a creature that grows on your spine when you become frightened,scream for your life!

5) Confessions Of An Opium Eater (1962)-One of the most bizarre movies ever made.Price is a sailor involved with Chinese tong wars,slavery and drugs.There is a slow motion scene that has to be seen to be believed and plenty of beautiful Asian girls doing sexy dances that must have been pretty racy back in 1962.

6)The Raven (1963)-My favorite horror/comedy with Price as a good warlock who engages in a duel of magic with evil sorcerer Boris Karloff.

7) Diary Of A Madman (1963)-Price is a magistrate who becomes possessed by an evil spirit in this underrated film.There is a murder scene that is still shocking today.

8. The Masque Of The Red Death (1964)-The best of the Poe films,with Price as a devil worshiping Prince who is pure evil and proud of it.

9) The Abominable Dr Phibes (1971)-Price is doctor seeking revenge on those who he thinks are responsible for his wife's death,good blend of horror and laughs.

10) Theater Of Blood (1973)-Price is another revenge seeking madman,this time the comedy is darker and the killings gorier
Swithin

Re: Top Ten Vincent Price Films

Post by Swithin »

WItchfinder General (1968)

His best film (and my favorite) and his most purely evil character.

LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

The only horror star that I've met. 100 movies seen.

1. House on Haunted Hill
2. The Haunted Palace
3. House of Wax
4. The Tingler
5. The Fly
6. The Last Man on Earth
7. The Abominable Dr. Phibes
8. Witchfinder General
9. House of Usher
10. Theatre of Blood
Watching until the end.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

LawrenceA wrote: December 12th, 2022, 4:15 pm The only horror star that I've met. 100 movies seen.
LawrenceA,

How did you meet Vincent Price?

I saw Price in person thrice--twice on the stage (as Oscar Wilde in Diversions and Delights and lecturing on his career in The Villians Still Pursue Me) and once at a commemoration of Boris Karloff. But I never personally met him.

POLL: Do you want a Like button?
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

EP Millstone wrote: December 17th, 2022, 7:11 pm
LawrenceA,

How did you meet Vincent Price?
I saw him on his lecture tour in the early 80's at a nearby college. Afterward there was a meet-and-greet, so I shook his hand and got his autograph in a horror movie book that I still have. I'm not an autograph hound at all, but I'm proud to have that one.
Watching until the end.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

I also had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Price just about a year or so before he passed.

My encounter with him was after a showing of Champagne for Caesar (one of his own personal favorites, btw) held at the Directors Guild Theater in Hollywood.

(...I remember he seemed truly delighted with my story about how I had already for many years been familiar with this rare comedy he co-starred in, but when I'd attempt to tell others of this film and how hilarious I thought he was in it, the people I told this to always seemed surprised to learn this, as they only ever thought of him in horror movies)
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

Dargo wrote: December 17th, 2022, 9:27 pm I also had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Price just about a year or so before he passed.

My encounter with him was after a showing of Champagne for Caesar (one of his own favorite films) held at the Directors Guild Theater in Hollywood.

(...I remember he seemed truly delighted with my story about how I had already for many years been familiar with this rare comedy he co-starred in, but when I'd attempt to tell others of this film and how hilarious I thought he was in it, the people I told this to always seemed surprised to learn this, as they only ever thought of him in horror movies)
:smiley_worship: :smiley_clap:
was "mr6666" @ TCM
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Dargo wrote: December 17th, 2022, 9:27 pm the people I told this to always seemed surprised to learn this, as they only ever thought of him in horror movies)
Even those here only mention his horror films.
Although not lead roles, Price was excellent in LAURA '44, LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN '45 and DRAGONWYCK '46 all with Gene Tierney. I always thought Price was far too handsome to be a character actor.
I love CHAMPAGNE FOR CAESAR too.

Vincent Price was brought here as a guest by our Cinephile Society in the 80's, I'm pretty sure the same tour others have mentioned.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

TikiSoo wrote: December 18th, 2022, 6:40 am
Dargo wrote: December 17th, 2022, 9:27 pm the people I told this to always seemed surprised to learn this, as they only ever thought of him in horror movies)
Even those here only mention his horror films.
Although not lead roles, Price was excellent in LAURA '44, LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN '45 and DRAGONWYCK '46 all with Gene Tierney. I always thought Price was far too handsome to be a character actor.
I love CHAMPAGNE FOR CAESAR too.

Vincent Price was brought here as a guest by our Cinephile Society in the 80's, I'm pretty sure the same tour others have mentioned.
Great points made here Tiki, as I also noticed no one here has yet mentioned anything but his horror films.

And he's also very entertaining in the film His Kind of Woman, as well.

(...btw, my wife would also agree with you about his looks)
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Dargo wrote: December 17th, 2022, 9:27 pm . . . I remember he seemed truly delighted with my story about how I had already for many years been familiar with this rare comedy he co-starred in, but when I'd attempt to tell others of this film and how hilarious I thought he was in it, the people I told this to always seemed surprised to learn this, as they only ever thought of him in horror movies)
TikiSoo wrote: December 18th, 2022, 6:40 am Although not lead roles, Price was excellent in LAURA '44, LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN '45 and DRAGONWYCK '46 all with Gene Tierney.
Vincent Price indeed had a flair for comedy and seemed to be a natural wit.

During his The Villains Still Pursue Me lecture that I attended, he spoke about working with Gene Tierney. I'm paraphrasing his witticism, but the gist of it was that "Looking at Gene Tierney always made me go limp . . . No . . . that isn't quite what I mean."

My Top Ten Vincent Price Films That Aren't Horror Films

Baron of Arizona
Champagne for Caesar
Dragonwyck
The Great Mouse Detective
His Kind of Woman
Laura
Shock
The Story of Mankind
The Whales of August
While the City Sleeps

POLL: Do you want a Like button?
Last edited by EP Millstone on December 19th, 2022, 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Laura
a Royal Scandal
Leave Her to Heaven
champagne for Caesar
His kind of Woman
While the City Sleeps
The Fly
The Great Mouse Detective
The Whales of August
Edward Scissorhands
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

EP Millstone wrote: December 18th, 2022, 3:19 pm

My Top Ten Vincent Price Films That Aren't Horror Films

Baron of Arizona

That's my favorite non-horror Price role.
Watching until the end.
nakanosunplaza

Post by nakanosunplaza »

Same for me The Baron of Arizona is my favorite non horror.
LiamCasey

Post by LiamCasey »

My ten favorite Vincent Price horror movies in order of preference:

The Abominable Dr. Phibes (1971)
Theater of Blood (1973)
The Fly (1958)
House of Wax (1953)
The Pit and the Pendulum (1961)
The Last Man on Earth (1964)
House of Usher (1960)
The Masque of the Red Death (1964)
Witchfinder General (1968)
House on Haunted Hill (1959)

And, based upon their previous posts, I am now extremely jealous of LawrenceA, EP, Dargo and TikiSoo for having had the opportunity to see Mr. Price in person. :smiley_cry: