TCM announces it is sunsetting the TCM Forums

Discussion of programming on TCM.
jamesjazzguitar

Re: TCM announces it is sunsetting the TCM Forums

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Feinberg wrote: December 7th, 2022, 6:22 pm
jamesjazzguitar wrote: December 7th, 2022, 11:41 am Nipkowdisc won the lottery.
Actually Nipkowdisc came fourth. There were three winners then Nipkowdisc became the alternate. Sort of like if Miss America cannot fulfill her duties Nipkowdisc would step in and get the $10 gift certificate.
Yes, I now recall. Are you Bogie56 from the TCM site? I ask because the avatar photo is the same.
Feinberg

Post by Feinberg »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: December 7th, 2022, 6:23 pm
Actually Nipkowdisc came fourth. There were three winners then Nipkowdisc became the alternate. Sort of like if Miss America cannot fulfill her duties Nipkowdisc would step in and get the $10 gift certificate.
Yes, I now recall. Are you Bogie56 from the TCM site? I ask because the avatar photo is the same.
Yes, I am. I confessed as much when I joined a few weeks ago and added that I didn't really like my old name. It was the only thing I could think of at the time when I was promoted to do so when joining TCM.
I thought the "alternate" added a level of yokel cheese to the contest over there. Not quite like being selected as "alternate" should the powerball winner not turn up to collect.
jamesjazzguitar

Feinberg wrote: December 7th, 2022, 6:30 pm

Yes, I am. I confessed as much when I joined a few weeks ago and added that I didn't really like my old name. It was the only thing I could think of at the time when I was promoted to do so when joining TCM.
I thought the "alternate" added a level of yokel cheese to the contest over there. Not quite like being selected as "alternate" should the powerball winner not turn up to collect.
Well you answered one of my questions about this site and that was if Canadians could join. I assumed YES, but I don't recall seeing MSWonderly and some of the others. Look forward to discussing films with you and I plan to stay out of politics (I don't even know if this site allows for that, but even if they did, I'm trying to avoid such topics).
laffite

Post by laffite »

I think you're safe. And ditto for me.
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

OR perhaps in Nip's case, "Miss 50ft America"??? Too bad Bert Parks still isn't around to see THAT, ain't it?!

(...btw, nice to see you aboard here, Bogie..err..Feinberg)
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Ha Ha!
This reminds me of Geraldine Page's line in WHATEVER HAPPENED TO AUNT ALICE: "I won! I won! Well, third prize."
Masha

Post by Masha »

HoldenIsHere wrote: December 7th, 2022, 11:05 pm
This reminds me of Geraldine Page's line in WHATEVER HAPPENED TO AUNT ALICE: "I won! I won! Well, third prize."
And the Lord said unto John, “Come forth and you will receive eternal life.” But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
Feinberg

Post by Feinberg »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: December 7th, 2022, 8:16 pm

Well you answered one of my questions about this site and that was if Canadians could join. I assumed YES, but I don't recall seeing MSWonderly and some of the others. Look forward to discussing films with you and I plan to stay out of politics (I don't even know if this site allows for that, but even if they did, I'm trying to avoid such topics).
Ditto. I'm penning this from England, so unlike TCM I assume this forum is open to people from Europe as well.
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

Feinberg wrote: December 8th, 2022, 1:10 am

Ditto. I'm penning this from England, so unlike TCM I assume this forum is open to people from Europe as well.
The TCM board only blocked Europe due to the large amount of spam bots originating from there. This board has a different feature where such bots can not sign up typically.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Fedya wrote: December 6th, 2022, 7:30 pm As I mentioned somewhere else on the site, I'm the same Fedya from over on the TCM boards, although I put up an avatar that's actually a picture of me, although it's several years old. My avatar on the TCM boards was the scowling Charles Coburn.
Thanks for keeping Coburn in your signature at least, it'll take me awhile to recognize you.

That photo of you reminds me of the Viking on Ghosts:

I do like the expanded photos-especially JamesJazzGuitar's, Dargo's & Feinberg's. Feinberg is now appropriate, since Bogie never used a photo of Bogart!
Last edited by TikiSoo on December 8th, 2022, 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: December 7th, 2022, 11:48 am I find it hard to believe you, with your thick skin was insulted, but thanks for making me look like an ass.
His specialty!

You're not an ass, I fully understood what you were saying, as I'm sure others did too.
Feinberg

Post by Feinberg »

LostHorizons wrote: December 8th, 2022, 3:59 am

The TCM board only blocked Europe due to the large amount of spam bots originating from there. This board has a different feature where such bots can not sign up typically.
Everywhere outside of North America was blocked including the Caribbean.
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

Masha wrote: December 7th, 2022, 4:57 pm I suspect that the problem is one of nomenclature/perception. Perhaps Hibi is asking for a new board which can contain multiple threads rather than simply a new topic which is a single thread in which all replies are lumped and it is difficult to find comments on specific movies.

It may also be that he does not have permission to start a new topic and so the: "New Topic" button is not shown. It is often that I do not have permissions. I must log out, clear cookies and sign back in before being able to do very much. See red oval at bottom of:

The column of ovals at the right are because I prepared this image in anticipation of asking why the forum is time-locked so that it is at all times: 4:43am or 4:43pm. I have decided it is not important but I do not have a version of the image before ovals to post here. I am reminded of an episode of Doctor Who wherein time does not change because someone altered a set/fixed point in time and so all was unravelling.
Masha I do not see this issue of the time locked forum, and if you sometimes have to clear cookies to post then something may be amiss with your web browser. You can try doing a clear browsing data (clears out all the old junk) to see if that helps.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

LMREO!!!! Poor Nip! :D
jamesjazzguitar

LostHorizons wrote: December 8th, 2022, 3:59 am

Useful info since I go to the EU at least once per year. Thanks