I Just Watched...

Discussion of programming on TCM.
ElCid

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by ElCid »

LawrenceA wrote: December 18th, 2022, 11:51 am
Feinberg wrote: December 18th, 2022, 1:27 am I've been watching a lot of films from 2022 lately. I'm up to about 65, or so. And I've noticed a rather weird trend. I would say of those that I have seen about 80% of them have a scene where one of the main characters vomits.
Just thought I would share. :D
That was a trend I noticed from a few years back, as well, say 2008-2012 or so. I tend to watch movies in year order, so I saw a lot films consecutively from those years, and I was astonished by how many had vomiting scenes. And from every genre, too, not just gross-out comedies and the like.
Well, I guess as longer as the viewer doesn't vomit, its OK. :)
The car is a 1958 De Soto Fireflite Sportsman hardtop.
Masha

Post by Masha »

Feinberg wrote: December 18th, 2022, 1:27 am I've been watching a lot of films from 2022 lately. I'm up to about 65, or so. And I've noticed a rather weird trend. I would say of those that I have seen about 80% of them have a scene where one of the main characters vomits.
A search of: IMDb.com using keyword: 'vomiting' yields: 2,337 feature films. Restricting it to release date after: 2000 reduces it to: 1,717. This means that three-quarters of such movies are modern.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

Masha wrote: December 18th, 2022, 1:18 pm
A search of: IMDb.com using keyword: 'vomiting' yields: 2,337 feature films. Restricting it to release date after: 2000 reduces it to: 1,717. This means that three-quarters of such movies are modern.
There’s only two thousand movies that involve vomiting? Lawrence could finish that in a month.
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Two films I associate most with vomiting:

An Unmarried Woman
Knives Out

There is upchucking in both Postcards from the Edge and the Help, but you don't actually see it happen there.
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

CinemaInternational wrote: December 18th, 2022, 2:02 pm Two films I associate most with vomiting:
Monty Python's Meaning of Life
Witches of Eastwick
Watching until the end.
Fedya

Post by Fedya »

speedracer5 wrote: December 17th, 2022, 12:54 pm

Omg Sandra Dee's mother, is a complete b!tch, zero sympathetic qualities, even alcoholic Arthur Kennedy is more sympathetic than her.
I mentioned it on the TCM boards back in the day, but Constance Ford and Arthur Kennedy (the jilted parents in A Summer Place) wind up romantically involved in the movie Claudelle Inglish, which tries to be a trashy potboiler but doesn't get quite as trashy as some other films in the genre. It really needs garish Technicolor or a pregnancy.
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

LawrenceA wrote: December 18th, 2022, 2:10 pm
CinemaInternational wrote: December 18th, 2022, 2:02 pm Two films I associate most with vomiting:
Witches of Eastwick
How could i have forgotten that one? Veronica Cartwright's scene is legendary.
Fedya

Post by Fedya »

An Unmarried Woman
Knives Out

There is upchucking in both Postcards from the Edge and the Help, but you don't actually see it happen there.
You actually made it through An Unmarried Woman. With apologies to the women here, to me it's one of those movies that screams "chick flick" and won't shut the hell up.

I think I gave up on it when Jill Clayburgh starts describing menarche to her shrink.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

An Unmarried Woman
Knives Out

I know that you're not a horror film aficionado, CinemaInternational. So you've missed the, arguably, ne plus ultra of movies that feature vomiting -- it is an Essential for Enthusiasts of Emetic Cinema: The Exorcist. BARF-O-RAMA!

The 2022 satire Triangle of Sadness reportedly features copious upchucking.

POLL: Do you want a Like button?
Last edited by EP Millstone on December 19th, 2022, 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

EP Millstone wrote: December 18th, 2022, 4:43 pm

An Unmarried Woman
Knives Out

I know that you're not a horror film aficionado, CinemaInternational. So you've missed the, arguably, ne plus ultra of movies that feature vomiting -- it is an Essential for Enthusiasts of Emetic Cinema: The Exorcist. BARF-O-RAMA!
Mr. Millstone, I think you possibly have just coined a term for a movie sub-genre: Emetic Cinema. Love it!

PS. I also thought of THE EXORCIST as I was reading the posts.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

PPS. SCARY MOVIE 2's parody of THE EXORCIST takes the vomiting to a whole other level!
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

HoldenIsHere wrote: December 18th, 2022, 6:02 pm Mr. Millstone, I think you possibly have just coined a term for a movie sub-genre: Emetic Cinema. Love it!
I'm filing a copyright application right now!
ElCid wrote: December 18th, 2022, 12:20 pm Well, I guess as longer as the viewer doesn't vomit, its OK. :)
That's exactly what happened during the initial run of The Exorcist!

At the theatre where I saw The Exorcist, the overpowering, nauseating stench of vomit smacked one in the face -- like a knockout punch by Muhammad Ali -- instantly upon entering the auditorium. Tossing one's cookies while watching the movie was, as far as I was concerned, the most stupid and most disgusting "popular" trend at the time.

I was working at a moviehouse then. My coworkers and I anxiously prayed that The Exorcist would not play at our theatre.

POLL: Do you want a Like button?
Last edited by EP Millstone on December 19th, 2022, 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

I studied Theology at a Jesuit university. One of my favorite courses was Demonology. It was around the time of the filming of The Exorcist, and our professor tried to get Father Thomas Bermingham, advisor to the film, to lecture to us, but he was too busy. He also had a small part in the film. Father Bermingham was affiliated with the university and In fact died at his residence there in 1996.

We did have to read the book, though, as well as a wide range of other books and documents covering the subject across all religions.This is the guy responsible for all the spewing in The Exorcist:

TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Cuthbert wrote: December 18th, 2022, 7:25 pmThis is the guy responsible for all the spewing in The Exorcist:
Wow- I find it interesting the statue's hands are in the traditional Hindi posture of "unity/balance" where you are both sending & receiving energy between yourself & the universe. It's supposed to be a positive posture, I think of the Devil as negative energy.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

TikiSoo wrote: December 19th, 2022, 6:08 am
Cuthbert wrote: December 18th, 2022, 7:25 pmThis is the guy responsible for all the spewing in The Exorcist:
Wow- I find it interesting the statue's hands are in the traditional Hindi posture of "unity/balance" where you are both sending & receiving energy between yourself & the universe. It's supposed to be a positive posture, I think of the Devil as negative energy.
It's the demon Pazuzu, the personification of the southwestern wind in Mesopotamian religion. In some early cultures, he performed a positive function, but he was also associated with the wind that brought plague. Quite a lot has been written about him, if you want to Google him.