POLL: Do you want a Like button? Poll has ended!

Do you want a Like button?

Poll ended at December 22nd, 2022, 2:45 pm

YES, I want a Like button.
60%
NO, I do not want a Like button.
40%

Total votes: 25

laffite

Re: POLL: Do you want a Like button? Poll has ended!

Post by laffite »

Flip-flop much, laffite?

I find your comment puzzling, considering how gung-ho you were for a Like button. With allies like you . . .

Yes, the poll has caused divisiveness and "controy of SSO newbies, seems to me, are apathetic about a Like button.

Yes, I have flipped More than once. Contrary to popular belief, there is no shame in changing one's mind. Even more than once (gasp!). I am not running for office, I have no constituency to lie to, I am not discussed on MSNBC nor Fox News. And yet I am having my voting behavior questioned and possibly ridiculed? I don't think you are being all that nasty but I ask you to realize that your criticizing me is indicative of what's going wrong here. If you think I'm bad now I might have been worse. I could have gone to the third option and that was to withdraw my vote altogether. Did your poll even offer that?

The 15-10 vote is not representative. You mention the apathetic souls that exist here. An apathetic non-vote means a no vote, because it is the pro-likes that have the burden of proof to persuade. So it is fair to say that only 15 voted for a LIKE out of a possible what?---60 or 70 or more?
"Desire" (1936)
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

laffite wrote: December 22nd, 2022, 9:50 pm The 15-10 vote is not representative. You mention the apathetic souls that exist here. An apathetic non-vote means a no vote, because it is the pro-likes that have the burden of proof to persuade. So it is fair to say that only 15 voted for a LIKE out of a possible what?---60 or 70 or more?
Yes, it's fair. More than fair. It's accurate.
laffite wrote: December 22nd, 2022, 9:50 pm I could have gone to the third option and that was to withdraw my vote altogether. Did your poll even offer that?
So if you wanted to withdraw your vote, why did you even vote? If you didn't want to stand up and be counted, why did you stand up?

More "Smilies" were added at your request, laffite. Do you think every SSO member welcomed that "improvement"?

For me, the most solid and irrefutable rebuttal to the Anti-Like Button Crowd was "No one is forcing you to use it!"
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

EP Millstone wrote: December 22nd, 2022, 10:07 pm
laffite wrote: December 22nd, 2022, 9:50 pm The 15-10 vote is not representative. You mention the apathetic souls that exist here. An apathetic non-vote means a no vote, because it is the pro-likes that have the burden of proof to persuade. So it is fair to say that only 15 voted for a LIKE out of a possible what?---60 or 70 or more?
laffite wrote: December 22nd, 2022, 9:50 pm I could have gone to the third option and that was to withdraw my vote altogether. Did your poll even offer that?
So if you wanted to withdraw your vote, why did you even vote? If you didn't want to stand up and be counted, why did you stand up?

More "Smilies" were added at your request, laffite. Do you think every SSO member welcomed that "improvement"?

For me, the most solid and irrefutable rebuttal to the Anti-Like Button Crowd was "No one is forcing you to use it!"
I don't get this apres-vote analysis and hand-wringing. We had a vote. Those who wanted to vote voted. Those who didn't care for whatever reason, didn't vote. We have a result. There was plenty of time to vote early and even the luxury of being able to change your vote. The election was fair. The Ayes have it.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Cuthbert wrote: December 22nd, 2022, 10:15 pm I don't get this apres-vote analysis and hand-wringing. We had a vote. Those who wanted to vote voted. Those who didn't care for whatever reason, didn't vote. We have a result. There was plenty of time to vote early and even the luxury of being able to change your vote. The election was fair. The Ayes have it.
Agreed!

How the poll will be interpreted by the administrators and moderators remains to be seen. They will be the final arbiters.

All this post-poll analysis -- and post-menopausal hostility -- is unnecessary and divisive.
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
laffite

Post by laffite »

EP Millstone wrote: December 22nd, 2022, 10:07 pm

Honestly, how dare you to question me like that? This is really out of line. But since you are one of our most active and helpful members here, I shall condescend to you. Obviously I had no prior intent of withdrawing my vote. That came up later when it became a viable choice. Only when this all LIKE business turned into a circus.

That was non-controversial and went smoothly. And I do not remember anyone having to start a poll about it. It's not up to me to wonder anything, it would be up to those who opposed new emoticons to speak up.

[/quote]

Well if it was a "irrefutable" then where are the votes? You cannot impose an "irrefutable" rebuttal on anyone and have it mean anything. Folks could care less about your rebuttal. The poll was set up to allow members to vote, not to react to rebuttals or arm twisting.

Nuff said.

//
"Desire" (1936)
ElCid

Post by ElCid »

In this situation, the best policy by the Administrators would be to adopt the positive majority voting system. This is not just a majority vote, but a majority of all members. So, if there are 70 members, 36 would have to vote in favor.

It also appears that millstone is being overly critical and harsh toward those who oppose his desire for a like button.
If the Administrators decide not to add a like button, it would be very poor behavior on the part of the pro-likes to start using the oversized graphics they have demonstrated.
The car is a 1958 De Soto Fireflite Sportsman hardtop.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

ElCid wrote: December 23rd, 2022, 11:25 am In this situation, the best policy by the Administrators would be to adopt the positive majority voting system. This is not just a majority vote, but a majority of all members. So, if there are 70 members, 36 would have to vote in favor.

It also appears that millstone is being overly critical and harsh toward those who oppose his desire for a like button.
If the Administrators decide not to add a like button, it would be very poor behavior on the part of the pro-likes to start using the oversized graphics they have demonstrated.
For heavens sake, ElCid, there was a vote! It has taken place! It was fair, it wasn't fake! Please live with the result!

I do have an issue with the ungraciousness of those who would deny others its use, simply because they don’t want to use it. Why would anyone be so small-minded?
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

ElCid wrote: December 23rd, 2022, 11:25 am In this situation, the best policy by the Administrators would be to adopt the positive majority voting system. This is not just a majority vote, but a majority of all members. So, if there are 70 members, 36 would have to vote in favor.

Well Cid my friend, using this sort of guideline as you suggest here, then isn't it a shame that Silver Screen Oasis isn't an Australian-based website...a place where people are fined for not voting?

Not that I'm advocating for this in this case, but because THIS would be the only way you're ever going to get a "positive majority" of people bothering to vote for anything, and especially for OR against an issue as seemingly inconsequential as this whole "like button or not" matter here.

(...nope, I'll bet the reason only 25 SSO regular members out of your estimated "70" here even bothered to vote at all was because they felt just a little more strongly about this than did those other "45" who probably couldn't care less about this, one way or the other)
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

I count ~40 active members that have joined due to the TCM exodus. There are a few of those new accounts that are spammers, and several more that have one or two posts, but are regulars at the other new message board, and seem to have chosen that as their primary "residence". I also use the term "active" loosely, as many of those accounts have only one or two posts here.

And then there are ~6 of the site veterans still active/active again due to the new influx. So the actual voting pool is closer to 46 members.

Not arguing for one side or the other, only clarifying that the number of active users here is much lower than has been bandied about thus far.
Watching until the end.
ElCid

Post by ElCid »

Cuthbert wrote: December 23rd, 2022, 11:30 am

For heavens sake, ElCid, there was a vote! It has taken place! It was fair, it wasn't fake! Please live with the result!

I do have an issue with the ungraciousness of those who would deny others its use, simply because they don’t want to use it. Why would anyone be so small-minded?
But a significant number of people do not want the change and the majority of members have not voted in favor of it. A small "majority" of 15 voters should not determine this. THAT is the point.

In this situation, a poll here is simply advisory. There is no mandate that the change be implemented.
The car is a 1958 De Soto Fireflite Sportsman hardtop.
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

Since several people have voiced that the inclusion of a "Like" button will cause them immense psychological and emotional harm, I think the matter should be dropped. I can't pretend to understand it, but that's the way it is, apparently.
Watching until the end.
Masha

Post by Masha »

A far easier and much more sensible solution is that the decision be left to the discretion of the user who is the most intelligent, attractive, reasonable and wise. That is quite clearly me and so this hubbub can be over quickly. ;)
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
Masha

Post by Masha »

laffite wrote: December 22nd, 2022, 9:50 pm
Yes, I have flipped More than once. Contrary to popular belief, there is no shame in changing one's mind. Even more than once (gasp!).
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Every reasonable person changes their mind when new information or considered reflection warrant it.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

laffite

Post by laffite »

Drat, if we could only get the 11,780 votes we need ...
"Desire" (1936)