Holiday Films

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
ChiO

Re: Holiday Films

Post by ChiO »

Five-and-a-half years ago, I attended a French film noir festival in Santa Monica where Bertrand Tavernier was a guest and introduced the films. One of the offerings was this gem. What I wrote then follows:

Tavernier introduced the final film of the day, the seldom-screened LE MONT-CHARGE aka PARIS PICK-UP (Marcel Bluwal 1962). The movie was met with scathing reviews upon release and thereafter ignored, much to Tavernier’s chagrin. Bluwal was, before and after, a prodigious director of TV movies; this was his first of only three feature films. The backstory: Bluwal signed with Gaumont, a giant of French studios, to make the movie. Francois Truffaut urged him not to work for Gaumont, contending that he needed to be free of such corporate influence. Bluwal replied that Gaumont was giving him complete freedom to cast, score and cut the film, and that there was nothing more he could want. Truffaut responded that he and his friends would ravage or ignore the film in their reviews. Bluwal then made the film for Gaumont, and the reviews ranged from horrid to nonexistent.

The movie is marvelous. A newly released convicted murderer (Robert Hossein), who had killed his wife’s lover, has a chance meeting with a woman and her three- or four-year old daughter on Christmas. They go to her apartment – a living space in her husband’s factory. After some music and a drink, they leave. Upon their return, they see her husband’s hat and coat. She calls his name. No response. On the sofa, his dead body…a suicide. Hossein panics. Given his past, the last place he needs to be is by a dead husband. Into the night. He goes to Mass. He sees the woman. She passes out. She is attended to by a man. He takes her to her apartment. Hossein follows. As do twists, turns, and intrigue.

Outstanding performances by the three major actors. Hossein is becoming my favorite French noir male actor – after Jean Gabin – thanks to my exposure to his work through these French noir festivals. The directing is tight with nary a wasted shot. I envision a home double feature this coming Merry Christmas – BLAST OF SILENCE (Allen Baron 1961) and this. And a Happy New Year!
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
Masha

Post by Masha »

TheGayDivorceé wrote: December 23rd, 2022, 12:49 pm
Yes, Hallmark tends to be a bit schmaltzy. There's one I look for each year, LOVE AT THE THANKSGIVING DAY PARADE with Amber Reeser (I think). It's a step above many of them and the main character dresses in '50s/'60s vintage, always a plus.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
Marysara1

Post by Marysara1 »

ElCid wrote: December 23rd, 2022, 2:13 pm
TheGayDivorceé wrote: December 23rd, 2022, 12:49 pm
ElCid wrote: December 22nd, 2022, 5:41 pm Slightly off topic here, but the local news stations are reporting that a new Hallmark Movie is being filmed at the Biltmore Estate in Asheville NC for presentation next year.
I have only watched about 3 or 4 Hallmark movies and can recommend none of them.
Yes, Hallmark tends to be a bit schmaltzy. There's one I look for each year, LOVE AT THE THANKSGIVING DAY PARADE with Amber Reeser (I think). It's a step above many of them and the main character dresses in '50s/'60s vintage, always a plus.
Thanks, might be tempted to try and find it. There is one Hallmark movie that I expected a lot from - The Christmas Train. It is based on the book by David Baldacci and the book is excellent. However, the movie is very poor despite having a good cast.
They did a Jewish version of You Got Mail .