Astoundingly incoherent scenes in musicals

Uncle Stevie

Astoundingly incoherent scenes in musicals

Post by Uncle Stevie »

In the Movie Musical "Rich Young And Pretty" (1951) with Jane Powell, Vic Damone, Wendell Corey, and Danielle Darrieoux there is a picnic scene in the first quarter of the movie. Wendell is taking Danielle out for a picnic on the Sein and just the two of them are surrounded by no less than seven large picnic baskets all filled with breads and wines and appears to be a feast for 12 people or more. Just a little over kill I would say. Isn't that the job of the "continuity" person?

Have any scenes struck you that way in Musicals? I pick on Musicals because they are most likely to involve a flamboyant production.
Uncle Stevie

"Great Marriages Are Made In Heaven,
So Is Thunder and Lightning"
knitwit45

Re: Astoundingly incoherent scenes in musicals

Post by knitwit45 »

It's been a while since I saw the movie, US, but wasn't that the whole point of the multiple picnic baskets...overkill? He was wooing her, and showing off his wealth at the same time??? As I said, it's been a while since I saw this, but I thought the whole scene was played with tongue firmly planted in cheek.
Uncle Stevie

Post by Uncle Stevie »

You may be right. I never looked at it that way.
Uncle Stevie

"Great Marriages Are Made In Heaven,
So Is Thunder and Lightning"
Fossy

Post by Fossy »

Perhaps They were hungry.

I will get the film out later and check it out.
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

I was watching Le Million by Rene Clair and it struck me as odd the main character’s creditors all just get along with him happily after he wins the lottery despite not showing them actual proof (ie he didn’t have the ticket but they were all being nice to him anyways).