I Stream! U Stream! We All Stream for . . .

When was it made? Who was he or she? Where do films go? Helpful links here.
EP Millstone

I Stream! U Stream! We All Stream for . . .

Post by EP Millstone »

"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
Lomm
Administrator

Re: I Stream! U Stream! We All Stream for . . .

Post by Lomm »

Tubi and Pluto TV are both great free services. I hadn't seen Classix before. I think I have most/all of the classic films on there that I want to see though, at least anything essential.
ElCid

Post by ElCid »

Lomm wrote: January 9th, 2023, 3:18 pm Tubi and Pluto TV are both great free services. I hadn't seen Classix before. I think I have most/all of the classic films on there that I want to see though, at least anything essential.
I only watch services that are free and can be seen on an actual smart TV. Tubi, freevee, etc.
The car is a 1958 De Soto Fireflite Sportsman hardtop.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Lomm wrote: January 9th, 2023, 3:18 pm Tubi and Pluto TV are both great free services. I hadn't seen Classix before. I think I have most/all of the classic films on there that I want to see though, at least anything essential.
I used to watch Pluto TV, primarily episodes of American Gladiators (strictly because of the female "gladiators"). But I ultimately bailed because of the, for me, insufferable abundance of ads. I HATE ads*!

Tubi has ads, but nothing compared to the avalanche on Pluto TV.

I haven't yet checked out Classix.

* I like how Peacock delivers ads (for movies, at least). It front-loads about five minutes worth of ads before a movie, which then can be watched without interruption.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

LawrenceA wrote: January 9th, 2023, 4:15 pm I sub to Netflix, Apple+, Disney+, Hulu, HBOMax, Peacock Premium, Shudder, Criterion Channel, and Prime Video. Through Prime, I also get a few more "channels": Paramount+, Showtime+, and Screambox.
With the exceptions of Netflix, Apple+, HBOMax, Paramount+, Showtime+, and Screambox, I subscribe to the streaming services that you named. I used to subscribe to Netflix but dropped it after a price hike and mainly because there wasn't much on it that appealed to me. I currently subscribe to Shudder, but I'm letting that subscription expire for the same reason I ash-canned Netflix.

Other streaming services that I subscribe to are EPIX, Mubi, and Sling TV -- all via my Roku streaming device.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

VCI Entertainment, "the oldest surviving home video studio in the USA" and "a pioneer in Home Entertainment" has entered the streaming service market.

EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Classic Film Time, an app available on Roku streaming devices, is a, to me, worthwhile resource for "classic" movies and television series.

I watched the first two episodes of Richard Diamond, Private Detective (AKA Call Mr. D) starring David Janssen and created by Blake Edwards. I did not find them impressive. Diamond is no Peter Gunn . . . who was no Phillip Marlowe. But, I'm going to stick with Mr. D and hope that the popular, relatively long-running (four years) series improves.

I've been thrilled by British mysteries produced by Exclusive Films (later Hammer Films) and based on BBC radio series such as The Man in Black and The Adventures of PC 49. Prints and transfers range from good to excellent. Most recently I enjoyed Penny and the Pownall Case, a 1948 thriller that features a 26-year-old Christopher Lee in his first starring role and a brunette Diana Dors.

Not all presentations on Classic Film Time are high quality -- some are downright atrocious. The CFT catalog is strictly public domain offerings, which can be watched free with ads or without ads for a monthly subscription of $8.99. At that price, CFT should provide better quality presentations, as far as I'm concerned.