The Legend Of Boggy Creek (1972)

Detective Jim McLeod

The Legend Of Boggy Creek (1972)

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

I love this low budget film about a Bigfoot-type creature in Arkansas.
It's done in "documentary" style with grainy photography and amateur actors. Which is a plus since the locations are real and the people's accents are genuine.
Another great thing is the music, there are some haunting folky type songs, typical of the early 70s singer/songwriter songs.
Many have criticized this film for the very reasons I have stated why I love it.
Any other fans of this one?
txfilmfan

Re: The Legend Of Boggy Creek (1972)

Post by txfilmfan »

Not much of a fan, but it gave me nightmares for a few days after seeing it in the theater on its original release. I was 8. Our house was across the street from a heavily wooded creek, BTW.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

txfilmfan wrote: February 1st, 2023, 10:28 am Not much of a fan, but it gave me nightmares for a few days after seeing it in the theater on its original release. I was 8. Our house was across the street from a heavily wooded creek, BTW.
LOL

ME!

I love BOGGY CREEK and BC2:The Legend Continues. My introduction to BC2 was MST3K and since grown an appreciation of Charles B. Pierce as a filmmaker, seeking out his movies.

I liked THE TOWN THAT DREADED SUNDOWN '76 but haven't seen any of his others-
GRAYEAGLE '77, THE EVICTORS '79 or SACRED GROUND '83.
You?
Detective Jim McLeod

[/quote]

I liked THE TOWN THAT DREADED SUNDOWN '76 but haven't seen any of his others-
GRAYEAGLE '77, THE EVICTORS '79 or SACRED GROUND '83.
You?
[/quote]

I saw Town That Dreaded Sundown and liked it very much. Pierce was able to get Oscar winner Ben Johnson to play the Texas Ranger on the case. The sack mask killer was very frightening. Pierce also acts in this one, playing a goofy town deputy.

I haven't seen the other films either.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Detective Jim McLeod wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 9:19 am
I haven't seen the other films either.
[/quote]

Sounds like a CHALLENGE!
Detective Jim McLeod

[/quote]

Sounds like a CHALLENGE!
[/quote]

The Evictors (1979) sounds like the only worth seeking out, since it seems to have the horror/suspense aspect of the others.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Check your local library...mine has this: A DOUBLE FEATURE with THE EVICTORS. No mention by the cover-not a good sign.

... I just put it on "request".

I'd burn us both a copy except it's BluRay, and I'm not sure my software can extract/burn it. (I'm just now expanding/upgrading my media station) Will also be doing searches on free streaming sites for Charles B Pierce movies.

We have a huge warehouse of a Music/Movie store here where I may find some Pierce movies for $1.99. You'll commonly find rare classics gathering dust. Plus, I have like $100 credit.
My best find was vintage 70's Bollywood Horror. You've never seen a vampire movie until you've seen one with dance numbers.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

I just finished watching THE EVICTORS '79 which has ALL the earmarks of Charles B. Pierce movie-a perfect double feature with THE TOWN THAT DREADED SUNDOWN.
It's a period piece based in the rural area of Louisiana/Texas/Arkansas. It was perfectly described as "relocates the Old Dark House on Bonnie and Clyde terrain". Pierce was an art director on several Hollywood films and this movie has a great look and atmosphere. The sets, clothes & vintage cars work perfectly, it doesn't look "designed".

The opening credits showing a police/gangster shootout was mesmerizing, definitely a Pierce shining moment. Although his movies are independent productions & distributed by AIP as B pictures, Pierce really had talent as a filmmaker. And he managed to hire real talent, often fading stars to work in them.
Like his other films, this is based on a true story, although I find it wholly implausible. The most fun was yelling out to the victims NOT to do ____ and they went & did exactly that! (don't put your finger on the trigger/you only have 6 bullets, carry extras/don't shoot indiscriminately, AIM)
It was fun, full of big "scares" and wraps up neatly at the end.