The Wild Party (1975)

EP Millstone

The Wild Party (1975)

Post by EP Millstone »

A, IMO, perfect companion feature for Babylon: The Wild Party, starring James Coco, Raquel Welch, David Dukes, Tiffany Bolling, Perry King and Royal Dano.

This 1975 Merchant Ivory Production was distributed in the United States of America by (of all studios) American International Pictures. MIP and AIP: an odd couple, to say the least. Getting, perhaps, too big for its britches in its bid for "respectability," The House of Poe, Beach Parties, and Biker flicks ruinously edited the movie fashioned by director James Ivory, producer Ismail Merchant, and writer Walter Marks, succeeding in only becoming a party pooper.

Synopsis: Silent movie clown Jolly Grimm (James Coco) throws a Hollywood party to sell his comeback comedy Brother Jasper. Unfortunately for him (and others), the party disastrously ends in tragedy.

Its critical drubbing and commercial failure notwithstanding, I enjoy The Wild Party. James Coco effectively delivered a dramatic performance of a "funny man" with a contradictory name that describes and defines his dual disposition. As Queenie, the fortunate and unfortunate recipient of the mercurial Grimm's charity and cruelty, Raquel Welch does not disgrace herself but is not helped by the filmmakers who have her sing an, to me, inferior and disposable song. According to accounts by Ivory and Bolling, the tempestuous Welch was "a very, very difficult actress to work with," clashing with her director, the producer, and co-stars, and even walking off sets . . . more than once.

Writer Walter Marks loosely based his screenplay on the notorious Fatty Arbuckle scandal and the controversial poem The Wild Party written by James Moncure March. David Dukes, as writer James Morrison, recites a few lines from March's poem as narration.

One knock against The Wild Party is that it is not wild enough, failing to capture the decadent, sybaritic tone and spirit of March's ode to hedonism. However, I think, the filmmakers succeeded in staying faithful to March's poem during, for me, the highlight of the movie. Framed by torrid love-making between two osculatory lesbians, the vignette takes the audience on an erotic journey through bedrooms filled with entwined nude bodies writhing and undulating (". . . like a can of worms") as the crooning (uncredited) vocalist conspiratorially celebrates the lusty bacchanal, coaxing listeners "Ain't Nothin' But About Feelin' Good".

Some look down and frown on huggin' and squeezin'
That's because their hearts have not understood
That nothing can be wrong as long as it's pleasin'
Here's the reason
Ain't nothin' bad about feelin' good

I attended the party on Screenpix. But you can join the party right here.

Art Spiegelman on the poem The Wild Party

A Cautionary Tale for the New Roaring Twenties

Last edited by EP Millstone on March 5th, 2023, 8:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
Swithin

Re: The Wild Party (1975)

Post by Swithin »

I have never seen The Wild Party but "it's on my list." I love the films of Merchant/Ivory and worked on a project with Ismail Merchant many years ago.

The Merchant/Ivory film that precedes The Wild Party is a favorite of mine. Savages (1972), though certainly not to everyone's taste, has been called an allegory of humankind. The New York Times film critic explains the plot well:

"The Mud People, a primitive jungle tribe with strict protocols and lax morals, stand ready for the ritual execution of last year's consort to their high priestess. Suddenly, arching over the trees, they see a high-flying croquet ball—seemingly possessed of magic properties to lead them, so they cannot choose but follow. They approach the grounds of a deserted country estate, timidly enter the great house, discover stairs, paintings, toy trains, books, speech and clothes. By mid-afternoon they have become rich exurbanites, semi-civilized, much like the rest of us—except that their style of dress is elegant 1930's, not all of them wear shoes and they worship a croquet ball.This is the situation of James Ivory's "Savages," which opened yesterday at the Baronet Theater and which treats the rise and fall of a civilization, no special civilization, in 24 hours. By evening the savages are exchanging gossip and manipulating great affairs of state and commerce over dinner; near midnight the sacrificial consort drowns himself in the swimming pool; later there are wild orgies in the basement; before dawn the people have rediscovered mud, and the first daylight finds them running back into the forest, following croquet balls they have hit with their own mallets."

One of my favorite scenes features Anne Francine and a peach:

There is also a great dance number: "Stepping on a Spaniel."
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Swithin wrote: March 4th, 2023, 6:06 pm . . .This is the situation of James Ivory's "Savages". . .
The New York Times critic seems to subscribe to the auteur theory. Based on reviews in the Internet Movie Database, much of the credit (or blame) of the movie seemingly should go to the writers, one of whom was Michael O'Donoghue.

I was familiar with Savages only via its title. I'm keen on seeing it, primarily for the cast. I spotted two Dark Shadows cast members in that YouTube clip: Thayer David and Christopher Pennock. I also noticed Salome Jens, memorable to me for her roles in Seconds and especially Terror from the Year 5000.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

EP Millstone wrote: March 4th, 2023, 7:16 pm
Swithin wrote: March 4th, 2023, 6:06 pm . . .This is the situation of James Ivory's "Savages". . .
The New York Times critic seems to subscribe to the auteur theory. Based on reviews in the Internet Movie Database, much of the credit (or blame) of the movie seemingly should go to the writers, one of whom was Michael O'Donoghue.

I was familiar with Savages only via its title. I'm keen on seeing it, primarily for the cast. I spotted two Dark Shadows cast members in that YouTube clip: Thayer David and Christopher Pennock. I also noticed Salome Jens, memorable to me for her roles in Seconds and especially Terror from the Year 5000.
Michael O'Donogue was head writer on Saturday Night Live, when the show was actually original and funny.

You identify Thayer David with Dark Shadows? His star turn was obviously this role:

EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Swithin wrote: March 4th, 2023, 9:03 pm . . . You identify Thayer David with Dark Shadows? His star turn was obviously this role . . .
Actually, Nero Wolfe was Thayer David's "star turn." Unfortunately, he died after appearing in the TV pilot, which was broadcast after his death.

Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Did Perry King show his bod???
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Hibi wrote: March 6th, 2023, 2:27 pm Did Perry King show his bod???
No. The Wild Party wasn't that wild.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Too bad! No wonder I didn't see it.