Mary Astor

LostHorizons

Re: Mary Astor

Post by LostHorizons »

Did anyone else get irrationally angry at her character in “Red Dust?” Not only was she the instigator of that but she shot Gable’s character and got off the hook entirely Scott free. What message about infidelity does that send? :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
laffite

Post by laffite »

LostHorizons wrote: March 6th, 2023, 4:44 pm Did anyone else get irrationally angry at her character in “Red Dust?” Not only was she the instigator of that but she shot Gable’s character and got off the hook entirely Scott free. What message about infidelity does that send? :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
Oh goody, Mary as a bad girl. I can't wait. I have it on the DVR.

Permit me a small correction : it is "scot-free." Scot was a tax in medieval times and if you evaded paying, then you got off scot-free. I knew the spelling but I didn't know what scot meant till now. So we both come out ahead. Thanks.
Mona
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

LostHorizons wrote: March 6th, 2023, 4:44 pm Did anyone else get irrationally angry at her character in “Red Dust?” Not only was she the instigator of that but she shot Gable’s character and got off the hook entirely Scott free. What message about infidelity does that send? :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
What message? A pre-code message!

The Astor character had major character flaws.
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: March 8th, 2023, 3:08 pm ...
And ain't it fun?
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: March 8th, 2023, 3:08 pm
What message? A pre-code message!

It’s a really depressing ending that she stayed with Gary because Dennis’ plan puts a lot of trust in the idea that she will remain faithful for him. Also I don’t like Gables guy getting with a prostitute. Bad film all around.
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

LostHorizons wrote: March 8th, 2023, 4:57 pm Bad film all around.
I liked it.
Watching until the end.