What Movie Related Book Have You Read Lately?

Read any good books lately?
TikiSoo

Re: What Movie Related Book Have You Read Lately?

Post by TikiSoo »

EP Millstone wrote: March 11th, 2023, 6:45 pm I was merely expressing my opinion,
I don't care about other people's opinions,
That says it all.
I was trying to say that exact same thing, albeit a little more gently.
BagelOnAPlate

Post by BagelOnAPlate »

speedracer5 wrote: March 11th, 2023, 9:39 pm
I just started reading Veronica Lake's memoir, the aptly titled, "Veronica: The Autobiography of Veronica Lake." I'm only at the beginning of it, but she seems very matter of fact and not at all enamored of Hollywood. She treated it like a job, in the same way that she treated her (later in life) bartending job as just a job.
When Veronica Lake was promoting her autobiography in the UK, she received offers to work on the English stage. One of the roles she played, to rave reviews, was Blanche DuBois is a revival of A Streetcar Named Desire. In her autobiography, she candidly discusses her own alcoholism, and she probably drew on her own experience to portray that aspect of Blanche's character. She would have already been suffering from cirrhosis of the liver which would be officially diagnosed in 1973.

Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Charles Willeford -- Miami Blues
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Thompson wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 4:08 am Charles Willeford -- Miami Blues
Should I ever regain my taste for fiction, Charles Willeford's stories will definitely be on my Must Read list.

The Life and Times of Charles Willeford—Miami's Weird, Wonderful Master of Noir

Nothing Is Inchoate (Charles Willeford)

The Complete Memoirs of Charles Willeford

Charles Willeford by Lawrence Block

Image Image Image Image Image Image
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

I collect those pulp paperbacks for the covers and used to own a few of the original paintings. Never read them, mostly keep the more unusual titles, some movie-related.
IMG_4012.JPG
IMG_4012.JPG (83.65 KiB) Viewed 4359 times
...to use for making switch plate covers:
IMG_4013.JPG
IMG_4013.JPG (63.57 KiB) Viewed 4359 times
(this has been in my studio's public washroom over 15 years & pretty worn, need to make a replacement!)
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Yeah EP,. he's a real original, Willeford. Fun as all get out to read.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

David Goodis is my hero because his characters say things without sound. They don't talk to themselves exactly, they talk out loud without sound. I talk to myself too but it comes out loud, and the landlord bangs on the door at 4 in the morning reading me the riot act . . . if I could just learn to talk without sound.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Thompson wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 4:08 am Charles Willeford -- Miami Blues
I revisited the 1990 movie adaptation starring Fred Ward as Hoke Moseley, Alec Baldwin as Frederick J. Frenger Jr. (AKA "Junior"), and Jennifer Jason Leigh as Susie Waggoner. I'd forgotten how much humor it had -- like for instance, Moseley's wolflish appraisal of Ellita Sánchez (Nora Dunn) after she returns his false choppers to him and he pops them into his mouth -- giving her the once-over. Ward's confident grimace cracked me up. IMO, Baldwin's standout acting ranks up there with the performances of Robert Mitchum (as "Harry Powell" in The Night of the Hunter) and Ray Liotta (as "Ray Sinclair" in Something Wild) -- each of whom created a psycho who is comedic, creepy, charismatic . . . and wholly terrifying.

Recipe for Vinegar Pie
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

EP Millstone wrote: April 7th, 2023, 7:13 pm Recipe for Vinegar Pie
Why include the vinegar pie recipe?
Thanks for reminding me how much I love it, now I'll have to bake one.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

TikiSoo wrote: April 8th, 2023, 6:58 am Why include the vinegar pie recipe?
Vinegar pie is an important "ingredient" in the movie (I don't know if it is in Willeford's book).

After learning that "Junior" has lied to her about his past, Susie Waggoner makes him a vinegar pie -- loaded with vinegar! When "Junior" takes a mouthful, his startled physical reaction is honest. But he tells her, "It's really great . . . one of your best," further confirming that he is a liar and untrustworthy.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

EP Millstone wrote: April 8th, 2023, 12:20 pm
TikiSoo wrote: April 8th, 2023, 6:58 am Why include the vinegar pie recipe?
Vinegar pie is an important "ingredient" in the movie (I don't know if it is in Willeford's book).
Oh yes!! It's the exit chapter in the novel and rollover funny. There is some mention of 'pie' earlier between Hoke, Henderson, and Susan's dad that will stay with you forever. The false teeth getting tossed out the window i just thought was classic funny. I haven:t seen the movie and I apologize for this flip phone i cant navigate with - Thompson.
After learning that "Junior" has lied
to her about his past, Susie Waggoner makes him a vinegar pie -- loaded with vinegar! When "Junior" takes a mouthful, his startled physical reaction is honest. But he tells her, "It's really great . . . one of your best," further confirming that he is a liar and untrustworthy.
C*i*g*a*rTheJoe

Post by C*i*g*a*rTheJoe »

I have recently read Raymond Chandler's Short Stories "Killer in the Rain, "and "The Curtain" these two stories were "cannibalized" and used in his novel "The Big Sleep."
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Hey Cigar Joe!!! Good to see ya!!! Chandler and me never got along. I tried The Lady in Red , I think that's the title, umpteen times and tossed it in the corner with the other books that I'll never read.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

I know I keep harping on this gal Patricia Highsmith who created Tom Ripley. The first novel, The Talented Mr. Ripley, was a semi successful movie that I didnt see. Patty, I call her Patty Baby, was another true original and master of language. Mean as all get out too.
speedracer5

Post by speedracer5 »

I finished Veronica Lake's book a while ago. It was pretty good, but I couldn't help but come away with a somewhat unfavorable opinion of Veronica as a person. I love her movies, especially with Alan Ladd, but she doesn't seem like someone that I'd want to be friends with. She is so apathetic about life, which can be an admirable quality at times, but to me she comes across as selfish. She had 4 children, one of which passed at a week old. It seems that Veronica divorced her children when she divorced the husband. She is so blasé and nonchalant about the fact that she didn't have a relationship with her children, I can honestly see why none of them claimed her cremains upon her death in 1973. She barely devotes any pages to her children, or even her movie career, but many chapters are devoted to discussing her last partner, and drinking buddy. While I do find actors' lives interesting (e.g., Errol Flynn's and Desi Arnaz's), Veronica's was not. I would have liked to have learned more about her film career, but she doesn't devote a lot of space to it. She does go through her film career, but it's very brief. She devoted the most time to "Sullivan's Travels," so I will assume that that was her favorite film. I liked reading about her feud with Fredric March. I could see the two of them not getting along. Lol.

Now I am reading Lana Turner's autobiography. It is much more interesting and Lana seems like a person who you'd want to have as a friend. While Veronica just seemed to go through the motions of living her life (except for a few occasions), Lana seems to have a zest for life and loves being a movie star and all the perks that come with it. It is obvious how much she loved her career--she loved the clothes and going to the nightclubs. If only Lana had devoted as much time to picking a decent husband as she did to being a movie star. I'm just up to the point where she's filming "The Postman Always Rings Twice." She's 25, has had a pregnancy/birth from hell (due to a genetic blood disorder), and has been married and divorced twice. Artie Shaw sounds like a real p rick, which is exactly what another ex-wife, Ava Gardner, said about him. Ava and Lana were also BFFs.
Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/kayla622/
Reddit: kayla622
Twitter: kaylar622
Blog: Whimsicallyclassic.wordpress.com