SPORTS

Chit-chat, current events
laffite

Re: SPORTS

Post by laffite »

Last year the average of length of a game was 3:03. So far up until yesterday the average length this young season is 2:30. One game was actually 2:09 !! Wow !
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Yeah, that is great. I like the idea of more stolen bases too, or attempts. Those huge new bases look weird but it's a game of inches.
Andree

Post by Andree »

umop apisdn wrote: April 1st, 2023, 8:10 pm
Yes, this is it exactly. Theo Epstein, Cubs former team president, now works for MLB addressing pace of play issues he helped usher in with the usage of analytics.
"The executives, like me, who have spent a lot of time using analytics and other measures to try to optimize individual and team performance have unwittingly had a negative impact on the aesthetic value of the game and the entertainment value of the game in some respects," Epstein said when he resigned.
If a game is long because there is a lot of action, I don't think any baseball fan would mind.
I'm ambivalent on the new rules. Two and a half hours seems like a good amount of time for a game, but I hate to see a game
that hasn't had a time clock like other sports get one now. And it was fun to see some of those crazy looking shifts. Guess we'll
see how things work out this season. I too don't think fans mind a long high scoring game, but these three hour affairs often don't
have a lot of runs scored.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
laffite

Post by laffite »

Today the MLB Channel announced that Albert Pujols was coming out of retirement in order to pass Babe Ruth in lifetime homers. Then they revealed that was not true. It was an April Fool's joke. Then they realized that Albert might take it seriously. We all know that the worst thing that has ever happened to baseball is the DH. It's preposterous that someone gets to bat and not play in the field. Now a DH can come out retirement for the sole purpose of surpassing, let's face it, the most honored home run hitter ever and sit on his a s s while getting to take a turn at the plate. Dont do it, Al. You will disgrace yourself and disgrace baseball as well : Don't cheapen yourself.

(...and I say this as one whose favorite player of all time was Hank Aaron. He never DHed either.)
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
Uncle Charlie

Post by Uncle Charlie »

laffite wrote: April 2nd, 2023, 1:14 am Today the MLB Channel announced that Albert Pujols was coming out of retirement in order to pass Babe Ruth in lifetime homers. Then they revealed that was not true. It was an April Fool's joke. Then they realized that Albert might take it seriously. We all know that the worst thing that has ever happened to baseball is the DH. It's preposterous that someone gets to bat and not play in the field. Now a DH can come out retirement for the sole purpose of surpassing, let's face it, the most honored home run hitter ever and sit on his a s s while getting to take a turn at the plate. Dont do it, Al. You will disgrace yourself and disgrace baseball as well : Don't cheapen yourself.

(...and I say this as one whose favorite player of all time was Hank Aaron. He never DHed either.)
The universal DH has always been an inevitability. I’m surprised it took so long for the NL to adopt it. Pitcher’s batting averages dropped year after year and it reached a point where it was almost painful to watch a pitcher feebly try to hit (unless MadBum was up). The National League was the only professional league left that had pitchers batting meaning that you had guys at the plate trying to hit major league pitching when they haven’t batted since college or high school. Plus, all sports are looking for more offense. The American League out scored the National League every year since 1974 (the year after the AL adopted the DH). I also don’t buy the argument that DH takes managers strategy out of the game. The double switch is not rocket science. The best argument against the DH is that headhunter pitchers don’t have to answer for their actions by digging in against the other team’s pitcher. I guess the players have to police that themselves.
GaryCooper

Post by GaryCooper »

Caitlin Clark of Iowa is sometimes called the Larry BIrd of women's basketball. Game today for the NCAA National Women's Basketball Championship. Iowa 3.5 pt. favorite.
G.C.
Last edited by GaryCooper on April 2nd, 2023, 8:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Movies are written in sand: applauded today, forgotten tomorrow.
D. W. Griffith
GaryCooper

Post by GaryCooper »

Doesn't get any better than this for college basketball fans.
G.C.
Movies are written in sand: applauded today, forgotten tomorrow.
D. W. Griffith
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

The shift rule seemed odd to me at first, if a batter can't hit it where they ain't, then they ain't that good a batter. I think the reason for the shift rule is the problem the shift makes scoring the game ambiguous. Your 3rd baseman is playing in shallow right center field and makes an out. How do you score it? Well you have to score it a 5 something, but the play ain't anywhere near 3rd base. Lots of new stat problems will have to be addressed - pitch count for one - you can't call the time delay ball a pitch, can you since he never pitched it. What about the runner at first who's awarded second because of the pick off rule? How do you score that?
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Thompson wrote: April 2nd, 2023, 3:10 pm The shift rule seemed odd to me at first, if a batter can't hit it where they ain't, then they ain't that good a batter. I think the reason for the shift rule is the problem the shift makes scoring the game ambiguous. Your 3rd baseman is playing in shallow right center field and makes an out. How do you score it? Well you have to score it a 5 something, but the play ain't anywhere near 3rd base. Lots of new stat problems will have to be addressed - pitch count for one - you can't call the time delay ball a pitch, can you since he never pitched it. What about the runner at first who's awarded second because of the pick off rule? How do you score that?
Seems that a ball or strike due to a clock rule violation is a ball or strike. The only question appears to be how to notate it...

https://www.si.com/mlb/2023/03/09/mlb-r ... new-quirks
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Right! How do you notate it? Box scores are big with lots of fans
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Thompson wrote: April 2nd, 2023, 3:53 pm Right! How do you notate it? Box scores are big with lots of fans
MLB doesn't have rules on scorekeeping notation, though I know a "standard" has been developed unofficially over the years. My mom used to keep score when watching a MLB game in person. She also did that for Little League games.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

The new bases are monsters.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

txfilmfan wrote: April 2nd, 2023, 4:46 pm
Thompson wrote: April 2nd, 2023, 3:53 pm Right! How do you notate it? Box scores are big with lots of fans
MLB doesn't have rules on scorekeeping notation, though I know a "standard" has been developed unofficially over the years. My mom used to keep score when watching a MLB game in person. She also did that for Little League games.
MLB does have rules on scorekeeping notation, don't they? You can't just jot down any old thing you make up and make it part of a scorecard you make up as well, can you?
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Thompson wrote: April 2nd, 2023, 8:43 pm
txfilmfan wrote: April 2nd, 2023, 4:46 pm
MLB does have rules on scorekeeping notation, don't they? You can't just jot down any old thing you make up and make it part of a scorecard you make up as well, can you?
Basically you can. The official scorekeeper simply has to understand their own chicken scratch on their scorecard when they provide the official info to MLB. I suppose there is some transfer of information from the scorekeepers card to some MLB form or such, but it's not clear to me how that happens. Per the article I linked above:

MLB does not ask scorers to follow any standardized practices for keeping score. The only requirement is that they be able to read and easily understand their own notations. The scorer has to decide whether a given play is a hit or an error, a passed ball or a wild pitch, but they do not have to finish the night with a perfectly regulation scorecard. (Exact play-by-play data is recorded and entered by a data stringer.)

The data stringer is the person feeding all the instantaneous data into the up-to-the-second on-line databases that show up on MLB websites. So you have an official scorer, plus these other folks entering data simultaneously. The same thing happens at major tennis tournaments. The chair umpire has an electronic device keeping the official score, and there are data stringers in the stands typing in additional information about things like number of winners, rally lengths and other stats.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Right. All that scribbling. I used to score games. Sit there in front of the TV with a score card you gridded so perfect the night before. I scored the K. Wood 20 strikeout game. Yes I did. It's a perfect score card, I was at the top of my game at scoring games back then. I could print a K both backwards and forwards in every inningj. Of course the card is gone now so I can't prove it.