This week on SVENGOOLIE...

EP Millstone

Re: This week on SVENGOOLIE...

Post by EP Millstone »

Hibi wrote: April 13th, 2023, 5:17 pm What's on this week?
LiamCasey wrote: April 1st, 2023, 10:41 am This month on Svengoolie...

4/1: Abbott and Costello Meet the Mummy (1955) w/ Bud Abbott and Lou Costello. Plus Marie Windsor, Michael Ansara, Dan Seymour and Richard Deacon. And directed by Charles Lamont.

4/8: The Old Dark House (1932) w/ Boris Karloff, Melvyn Douglas, Charles Laughton, Gloria Stuart, Lilian Bond, Ernest Thesiger, Eva Moore, Raymond Massey, Elspeth Dudgeon and Brember Wills. And directed by James Whale.

4/15: This Island Earth (1955) w/ Jeff Morrow, Faith Domergue and Rex Reason. Plus Russell Johnson and Richard Deacon.

4/22: The Mole People (1956) w/ John Agar, Cynthia Patrick, Hugh Beaumont, Alan Napier and Nestor Paiva.

4/29: Destroy All Monsters (1969) w/ Akira Kubo, Jun Tazaki, Yukiko Kobayashi and Yoshio Tsuchiya. And, needless to say, Godzilla, Mothra, Rodan, King Ghidorah and other kaiju. And directed by Ishirō Honda.
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Thanks! I love The Mole People! And it has John Agar! This Island Earth is pretty good too.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Hibi wrote: April 14th, 2023, 8:57 am Thanks! I love The Mole People! And it has John Agar! This Island Earth is pretty good too.
And This Island Earth has Faith Domergue in a non-cobra role! (And Russell Johnson, in a pre-Professor role).
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Yes! :D
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

A cherished artifact from my youth is the Coral Records LP (long-playing record for you youngsters out there) Themes from Horror Movies orchestrated by Dick Jacobs -- ordered from Captain Company via Famous Monsters of Filmland.

Two tracks on the album were the themes to This Island Earth and The Mole People.

"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Don't miss THE MOLE PEOPLE this Saturday. JOHN AGAR plus Hugh Beaumont! (from Leave It to Beaver)
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Swithin wrote: April 14th, 2023, 10:03 am
Hibi wrote: April 14th, 2023, 8:57 am Thanks! I love The Mole People! And it has John Agar! This Island Earth is pretty good too.
And This Island Earth has Faith Domergue in a non-cobra role! (And Russell Johnson, in a pre-Professor role).
This Island Earth is a well made Sci Fi film. As noted, Faith Domergue is in the film, made the same year (1955) as Cult of the Cobra.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Hibi wrote: April 21st, 2023, 9:43 am Don't miss THE MOLE PEOPLE this Saturday. JOHN AGAR plus Hugh Beaumont! (from Leave It to Beaver)
Alan Napier has the best role as Elinu, the High Priest. Alfred gets to go wild!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: April 21st, 2023, 10:04 am
Hibi wrote: April 21st, 2023, 9:43 am Don't miss THE MOLE PEOPLE this Saturday. JOHN AGAR plus Hugh Beaumont! (from Leave It to Beaver)
Alan Napier has the best role as Elinu, the High Priest. Alfred gets to go wild!
LOL. He needed some color.
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

:lol: :smilie_happy_thumbup:
was "mr6666" @ TCM
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

And it has Nestor Paiva, who, in addition to his film career, appeared on almost every television show in the 1950s and 1960s.

Hugh Beaumont, Nestor Paiva
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

I was reading about The Mole People and found out the ending was a reshoot! Universal scrapped the happy ending because they didn't want to seem to be promoting INTERRACIAL MARRIAGE!!! (Humans and Mole People???) Gotta love the 50s! :D
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

Hibi wrote: April 24th, 2023, 9:34 am I was reading about The Mole People and found out the ending was a reshoot! Universal scrapped the happy ending because they didn't want to seem to be promoting INTERRACIAL MARRIAGE!!! (Humans and Mole People???) Gotta love the 50s! :D
Humans marrying mole people?

A'm agin it.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

I hadn't seen The Mole People in a while and was wondering why they couldn't have a happy ending, thought there must be some censor-type reason for it. What a shame, they made a nice couple.

RADA-trained Alan Napier was the highlight, playing his role as the High Priest like a combination of Boris Karloff and a Shakespearean villain. Napier was a cousin of Neville Chamberlain and was married to a great-granddaughter of Charles Dickens.

One thing that bothered me about the film was that, since the people were "Sumerians," their goddess should have been Inanna, not Ishtar. Ishtar is a slightly later manifestation of the goddess. (I studied Sumerian history/religion).

"The Descent of Inanna to the Nether World" is a poem almost 5,000 years old. It's the prototype for many similar stories. I remember reading it in my very first Theology course in college.

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/ ... nanna1.pdf
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Intrepid37 wrote: April 24th, 2023, 10:10 am
Hibi wrote: April 24th, 2023, 9:34 am I was reading about The Mole People and found out the ending was a reshoot! Universal scrapped the happy ending because they didn't want to seem to be promoting INTERRACIAL MARRIAGE!!! (Humans and Mole People???) Gotta love the 50s! :D
Humans marrying mole people?

A'm agin it.
:D