WHAT DID YOU HAVE FOR DINNER TODAY?

Chit-chat, current events
Bronxgirl48

Re: WHAT DID YOU HAVE FOR DINNER TODAY?

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

I'm a fan of breakfast for dinner.

Making a Denver omelet with a side of hash browns this evening, washed down with Natalie's fresh-squeezed Florida orange juice.

I also sometimes enjoy just a bowl of cereal, usually Grape-Nuts and skim milk, topped with sliced bananas, strawberries or blueberries. The crunch is so satisfying....
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Thompson wrote: May 23rd, 2023, 3:49 am No, it was an $8.50 entree, cat fried rice. Yeah, I remember now. It was tasty as all get out.
I assume this was catfish fried rice, if not, well, I don't wish to know!
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: May 23rd, 2023, 2:59 pm I'm a fan of breakfast for dinner.
Well last night I barely got to my position running "Box Office" before the customers started coming in. We hold our movie night in a restaurant. A restaurant that serves zero food I can eat, except maybe a side salad.

Instead, once the doors were closed from the wait staff, the President of the group started with his intro.

I ate 5.3 oz of plain yogurt with a handful of strawberries/blueberries for dinner. While everyone else had popcorn (that we provide) I had a measured 8 oz of organic rice/black bean chips.

I buy $100+ worth of crappy Halloween style mini candy bars every couple of weeks to pass out free and you should see how patrons grab handfuls greedily as if 10 years old. I otoh, have one small Belgian chocolate.

I used to sit in the front row and purposely chew with my mouth open during the formal, spoken intro as a heckling - and he never once lost his cool!
Last night we screened Sally, Irene & Mary. The audience LOVED it. Yawn.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: May 23rd, 2023, 4:17 pm
Thompson wrote: May 23rd, 2023, 3:49 am No, it was an $8.50 entree, cat fried rice. Yeah, I remember now. It was tasty as all get out.
I assume this was catfish fried rice, if not, well, I don't wish to know!
Got that right!
Woof! You've Got Mail!
norfious

Post by norfious »

Over the weekend I had purchased a nice loaf of bread from a bakery, and usually when I do so I make a pot of soup to go with it. However, it's been much too hot for soup, so instead I made a strange sort of ratatouille and ate it on slices of the bread. The dish consisted of sliced zucchini, shredded cooked chicken, diced tomatoes, corn, spinach, and other assorted (frozen) vegetables layered in a large casserole dish with pasta sauce and cheese between the layers like a lasagna. Then I just threw it in the oven until the zucchini slices were soft and the cheese was melty.

In the past, I have made a variation of this recipe using tortillas to separate the layers and enchilada sauce instead of pasta sauce. This week's variation was an experiment, but it turned out to be quite delicious and was perfect on the bread. I will definitely make it again, especially since it was quite fast and it is a recipe that I can easily make with things on hand. The pasta sauce was from a jar, and most of the veggies, except the zucchini, were frozen.
_Broadway_ from the TCM forums.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Nellie LaRoy wrote: May 21st, 2023, 2:08 am Empanada and mashed potatoes. Oh and a croissant.
I read a comic called "Baldo," and they talk about empanadas frequently.
It looks like making the dough is a challenge.
I found recipes from Pillsbury for empanadas using pie crusts.
Woof! You've Got Mail!
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Small things amuse small minds, I guess.

Speaking of Magazine St.....last time I was in town went to my favorite restaurant in the Quarter, Old Nawlins Cookery which was in a former bordello on Conte Street & couldn't find it. I can't believe they went out of business....do you know if they ever reopened after Katrina?

Since Katrina, the Quarter struck me as Disney-fied similarly to Times Square. Bah!
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

TikiSoo wrote: May 26th, 2023, 6:02 am Small things amuse small minds, I guess.

Speaking of Magazine St.....last time I was in town went to my favorite restaurant in the Quarter, Old Nawlins Cookery which was in a former bordello on Conte Street & couldn't find it. I can't believe they went out of business....do you know if they ever reopened after Katrina?

Since Katrina, the Quarter struck me as Disney-fied similarly to Times Square. Bah!
Or maybe big things amuse small minds.
The outside of Old Chicago Pizza in Petaluma, CA. was used in American Graffiti. It lives on.
In the film, Wolfman Jack calls Pinky's Pizza, and Petaluma still has a Pinky's Pizza.

So what's on the menu this Memorial Day Weekend?
Woof! You've Got Mail!
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Thompson wrote: May 26th, 2023, 2:48 pm Old Nawlins Cookery bit the dust before Katrina I’m pretty sure, but I have no head for time zones. Oh boy, you better believe it, New Orleans is not the city it once was, it is not the city that care forgot.
Thanks for the info.
Aww too bad...the Cookery was my go to.
Then I discovered Zaterains rice mixes....they taste EXACTLY like what is served in restaurants. I'm convinced many touristy restaurants just serve Zaterains.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

I just finished work and bringing over 2 turkey breasts for MrTiki to grill and I'm making Sfoglini macaroni salad with fresh cut kale & vegetables. He doesn't eat pasta very often because it's so heavy/fattening. But it's a holiday, so what. We're gonna die soon anyway, might as well eat what you want once in awhile. We'll probably have some dark, Belgian Monk beer too.
Arsan444

Post by Arsan444 »

After a long and rather uneventful day I am making myself a Martini. Blue Sapphire, and a few drops of Vermouth. No olives for me, thank you.
I'll reheat some rice with sausage, and I'll have a glass of wine, but the star tonight is an invigorating Martini, very dry.

Happy Martini Day!!
When in doubt, have another one.
Arsan444

Post by Arsan444 »

The gin is Bombay Sapphire; I call it Blue Sapphire because the bottle is blue. I also like Tanqueray; I've never tried Boodles.
I'm not sure what "neat" means. I prefer my Martini with chilled gin served in a chilled glass and just a few drops of dry Vermouth without the olive or pearl onion ( a Gibson) because the olive and onion can overwhelm the taste of the cocktail.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Arsan444 wrote: June 20th, 2023, 7:33 pm The gin is Bombay Sapphire; I call it Blue Sapphire because the bottle is blue. I also like Tanqueray; I've never tried Boodles.
I'm not sure what "neat" means. I prefer my Martini with chilled gin served in a chilled glass and just a few drops of dry Vermouth without the olive or pearl onion ( a Gibson) because the olive and onion can overwhelm the taste of the cocktail.
Bombay is my favorite gin, but not the Sapphire. Just regular Bombay. My father liked Tanqueray, but I don't. I do like Boodles. Beefeater is good in a Negroni, and I have friends who prefer it for martinis.
Arsan444

Post by Arsan444 »

Bombay is my favorite gin, but not the Sapphire. Just regular Bombay. My father liked Tanqueray, but I don't. I do like Boodles. Beefeater is good in a Negroni, and I have friends who prefer it for martinis.
[/quote]

I forgot about Beefeater; I like it too.