This week on SVENGOOLIE...

Detective Jim McLeod

Re: This week on SVENGOOLIE...

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

TikiSoo wrote: May 21st, 2023, 5:08 am I only saw the first half! Woke up during closing credits. How was it?
You missed the funniest bits. There is a very long dirt bike scene and police chase. The Milland/Grier monster steals a dirt bike along with black doctor Don Marshall, seeing an obvious stunt man with a dummy Ray Milland head zooming around on the bike was hilarious. When they meet up with Grier's girl friend (played by Laugh In regular Chelsea Brown), she asks "Do you have two of anything else?" There is a dinner scene where bigoted Milland doesn't like the soul food being served, he asks "What's for dessert? Watermelon?"
The "Oh Happy Day" scene at the end had me dying!" The song was a bit hit for the Edwin Hawkins Singers in 1970, 2 years before this movie and it was sung by some other singers here.
Sven did a very funny song parody about the "Rosey/Ray" monster as he called them, done to the tune of the "Rosie O'Grady" song.
He was also pretty thorough with the trivia on the cast, though I wish he could have included more on Ray Milland. He does mention his Oscar winning The Lost Weekend and Frogs another ridiculous film he made the same year as Thing With Two Heads., it seems he was taking any role during this time. I wish Sven mentioned the classic ghost story with Milland The Uninvited (1944) as well as X-The Man With The Xray Eyes (1963) which I love.
LiamCasey

Post by LiamCasey »

This month on Svengoolie...

6/3: Man Made Monster (1941) w/ Lionel Atwill, Lon Chaney Jr., Anne Nagel, Frank Albertson and Samuel S. Hinds.

6/10: Night Monster (1942) w/ Bela Lugosi, Lionel Atwill, Leif Erickson, Irene Hervey, Ralph Morgan, Don Porter, Nils Asther, Fay Helm and Frank Reicher.

6/17: Curse of the Demon (1957) w/ Dana Andrews, Peggy Cummins and Niall MacGinnis. And directed by Jacques Tourneur.

6/24: Fiend Without a Face (1958) w/ Marshall Thompson, Terry Kilburn and Kim Parker.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

LiamCasey wrote: June 1st, 2023, 8:28 pm This month on Svengoolie...

6/3: Man Made Monster (1941) w/ Lionel Atwill, Lon Chaney Jr., Anne Nagel, Frank Albertson and Samuel S. Hinds.

6/10: Night Monster (1942) w/ Bela Lugosi, Lionel Atwill, Leif Erickson, Irene Hervey, Ralph Morgan, Don Porter, Nils Asther, Fay Helm and Frank Reicher.

6/17: Curse of the Demon (1957) w/ Dana Andrews, Peggy Cummins and Niall MacGinnis. And directed by Jacques Tourneur.

6/24: Fiend Without a Face (1958) w/ Marshall Thompson, Terry Kilburn and Kim Parker.
Nice quartet of films. And Terry Kilburn, in Field Without a Face, will be 97 later this year. He may be best known for two of his boyhood roles:

Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

"Goodbye, Mr. Chips!"

I always lose it when Terry says that at the end.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Barbra Streisand's character Doris talks about MAN MADE MONSTER to George Segal's Felix in THE OWL AND THE PUSSYCAT.
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

:)
was "mr6666" @ TCM
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Thanks for the update!

Saturday night is always my TV Night-first dinner with Stooges (which can range from great to awful) and then a movie with Svengoolie. Most of the time I've seen the movie far too many times or it's just a plain stinker (like last week) so I make crafts & just listen.
LiamCasey

Post by LiamCasey »

This month on Svengoolie...

7/1: The Car (1977) w/ James Brolin, Kathleen Lloyd, John Marley, Elizabeth Thompson and Ronny Cox. Plus R.G. Armstrong, John Rubinstein and Roy Jenson.

7/8: Ghoulies (1985) w/ Peter Liapis, Lisa Pelikan, Michael Des Barres and Jack Nance. Plus Mariska Hargitay.

7/15: Ghoulies II (1987) w/ Damon Martin, Royal Dano, Phil Fondacaro, J. Downing and Kerry Remsen.

7/22: The Uninvited (1944) w/ Ray Milland, Ruth Hussey, Donald Crisp, Cornelia Otis Skinner, Alan Napier and Gail Russell.

7/29: The Haunted Strangler (1958) w/ Boris Karloff, Jean Kent, Elizabeth Allan and Anthony Dawson.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

THANKS! Although I'm not thrilled over the selection. I've never seen Ghoulies, guess it struck me as a little kid monster movie like Gremlins which I thought was far too silly. Must've been good, they made a sequel.
I can ALWAYS watch THE UNINVITED, like last week's CURSE OF THE DEMON, just a great movie.

First time viewing THE CAR was pretty over the top weird. I thought the dialogue was the WORST!
Actual line: "I don't know, what do you think?"

Of course I missed the very end. I came back from refilling my drink and it was over!
Can anyone enlighten me?
Was the car killing on auto-pilot or remote control? Or just "possessed"?

NM, just found a clip on YT

Apparently the car was possessed by Godzilla.
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

:shock:
was "mr6666" @ TCM
j.lunatic

Post by j.lunatic »

Decisions, decisions. I will watch just about anything on Svengoolie once. But Ghoulies might be my limit.
Avatar: Madalynne Field (1907-1974)
Formerly known as Peg of the Precodes on the TCM forums.
Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/PollyPrecoder/
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

j.lunatic wrote: July 8th, 2023, 8:16 am Decisions, decisions. I will watch just about anything on Svengoolie once. But Ghoulies might be my limit.
Yea, even a "young Mariska Hargitay" isn't going to make me watch this train wreck.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

OH NO! It's a bad movie? I've never seen it so was looking forward to it. Same for last week's movie THE CAR.
It was a stinker, but glad I saw it. Once.

OTOH, I've seen The Uninvited several times, even on the big screen. But if it's on, I'll watch it. I love the eerie atmosphere, the mystery & the real ghost at the end.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

TikiSoo wrote: July 8th, 2023, 11:26 am OH NO! It's a bad movie? I've never seen it so was looking forward to it. Same for last week's movie THE CAR.
It was a stinker, but glad I saw it. Once.

OTOH, I've seen The Uninvited several times, even on the big screen. But if it's on, I'll watch it. I love the eerie atmosphere, the mystery & the real ghost at the end.
Ghoulies is "a cut-rate 'Gremlins'" with "unexceptional performances" and "a lot of badly simulated gore". But hey, that doesn't mean it is bad.

As for Uninvited: one of my favorite films from any genre. Solid cast where the horror element is central but doesn't dominate.

Gail Russell at her most vulnerable with the lovely and haunting song Stella By Starlight.
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

really appreciate the effort they show re: trivia resaerch

:smilie_happy_thumbup: :smiley_clap:
was "mr6666" @ TCM