"The Chess Player", 1938 France (Jean Dreville)

Belle

"The Chess Player", 1938 France (Jean Dreville)

Post by Belle »

This film only partially appears on You Tube. Conrad Veidt acted his entire part in French, so protean an actor was he!! By 1938 he had left Germany permanently and was to be a UK citizen later that same year, also working in the USA. This excerpt has no subtitles, but you can see how ahead of its time it is with regards to robotics. Francoise Rosay appears alongside Veidt; this same woman wrote some unflattering comments about Veidt in her memoirs which were not very diplomatic (it made me wonder whether she'd been spurned, to tell truth!). To my knowledge she's the only person who wrote these kinds of things about Conrad Veidt.

Veidt had an ideal physique and face for film and you can see his gorgeous stature as he walks towards the camera very early in this sequence. So slender, great legs!!
laffite

Re: "The Chess Player", 1938 France (Jean Dreville)

Post by laffite »

Conrad Veidt has a thread of his very own, if interested. Much good stuff has already been posted there, all in one place, if interested.

FYI
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
Belle

Re: "The Chess Player", 1938 France (Jean Dreville)

Post by Belle »

laffite wrote: June 2nd, 2023, 8:27 pm Conrad Veidt has a thread of his very own, if interested. Much good stuff has already been posted there, all in one place, if interested.

FYI
Thanks for this heads-up. I can't seem to find it, though.