VALERIE

Hibi

VALERIE

Post by Hibi »

Did anyone watch the short documentary about Valerie Perrine on Sat.? I had no idea she'd been so ill. Horrible and heartbreaking. She was one of those performers that I'd sometimes wonder whatever happened to (her), but I never thought to investigate. So very sad. Watching Lenny afterward was a double whammy (I'd never seen it and such a downer).
Detective Jim McLeod

Re: VALERIE

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

Yes, I spoke about it and Lenny on the I Just Watched thread.

The documentary was hard to watch at times, since I remember the beautiful, energetic and cheerful Valerie in the past. I wish it was longer so we could have more clips from that time. Although Dustin Hoffman was great in Lenny, she nearly steals the film with her heart wrenching performance.
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

I didn't see the documentary, but I do recall finding out about her condition a few years ago, after accidentally happening on one of those tabloid like shows on TV, and it was talking about her. Such a shame. She had great talent and beauty.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Detective Jim McLeod wrote: June 12th, 2023, 8:58 am Yes, I spoke about it and Lenny on the I Just Watched thread.

The documentary was hard to watch at times, since I remember the beautiful, energetic and cheerful Valerie in the past. I wish it was longer so we could have more clips from that time. Although Dustin Hoffman was great in Lenny, she nearly steals the film with her heart wrenching performance.
Funny, I checked there and didn't see anything. I will look again.
Sepiatone

Post by Sepiatone »

I mentioned it elsewhere too. And it was sad to watch considering the beauty and vibrancy she always had in her career.

Sepiatone
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Hibi wrote: June 12th, 2023, 8:46 am Did anyone watch the short documentary about Valerie Perrine on Sat.? I had no idea she'd been so ill. Horrible and heartbreaking. She was one of those performers that I'd sometimes wonder whatever happened to (her), but I never thought to investigate. So very sad. Watching Lenny afterward was a double whammy (I'd never seen it and such a downer).
I love Valerine Perrine as Miss Tessmacher, Lex Luthor's assistant and (presumably) mistress in SUPERMAN.

Like you, I wondered why she stopped acting, but I didn't look into it further.

Andree

Post by Andree »

I can't recall if I saw Lenny when it first came out or if I meant to and didn't, but I did see it many years ago.
Not bad, it's like one of those old showbiz biopics on speed. Valerie was a showgirl before she became an actress, so
the part of Honey Bruce must have been somewhat familiar.

I didn't see the documentary, but I've read articles about her. She lost her big house somewhere in the Hollywood area
because of the usual "bad financial management" and has lived in the same apartment for the last 13 years. She used to
have wild parties and when asked why so many people came to them she replied "cocaine." She also has a younger
fan who takes care of most of her medical and other everyday needs. And despite her medical condition she appears
to be in fairly good spirits, at least under the circumstances.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Andree wrote: June 12th, 2023, 8:18 pm I can't recall if I saw Lenny when it first came out or if I meant to and didn't, but I did see it many years ago.
Not bad, it's like one of those old showbiz biopics on speed. Valerie was a showgirl before she became an actress, so
the part of Honey Bruce must have been somewhat familiar.

I didn't see the documentary, but I've read articles about her. She lost her big house somewhere in the Hollywood area
because of the usual "bad financial management" and has lived in the same apartment for the last 13 years. She used to
have wild parties and when asked why so many people came to them she replied "cocaine." She also has a younger
fan who takes care of most of her medical and other everyday needs. And despite her medical condition she appears
to be in fairly good spirits, at least under the circumstances.
That's too bad (the house) They did mention in the doc. she was living in a one bedroom apt in LA.
Andree

Post by Andree »

Hibi wrote: June 13th, 2023, 8:28 am

That's too bad (the house) They did mention in the doc. she was living in a one bedroom apt in LA.
Yes. In the article they didn't go into much detail, whether she was ripped off or if she just made some bad
financial decisions, but it is a shame. In addition to the younger fan she also has some nursing assistance. Even
if she had not had all her medical problems she likely wouldn't be getting much work as it's hard to stay
at or near the top for a long time in showbiz.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky