jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Dina Merrill is correct, Mel.

We'll work on your MG . . . . . .
melwalton

Who am I?

Post by melwalton »

Here's some more on the mystery guest:
Her athletic husband killed a man with his hands ( in reality - not in a movie ) and was, generally, thought to be a contributing factor in the death of a second man, same way.
His younger brother worked in the same field as he.
His son played in a popular TV sitcom series.
The man he killed was the brother of a prominent sports figure whose home base was BROOKLYN ( right in your pocket, Judith ).
jdb1

Re: Who am I?

Post by jdb1 »

melwalton wrote:Here's some more on the mystery guest:
Her athletic husband killed a man with his hands ( in reality - not in a movie ) and was, generally, thought to be a contributing factor in the death of a second man, same way.
His younger brother worked in the same field as he.
His son played in a popular TV sitcom series.
The man he killed was the brother of a prominent sports figure whose home base was BROOKLYN ( right in your pocket, Judith ).
Sorry not to respond Mel, but my brain is in sleep mode lately. Had a stupid run-in with a broken drinking glass while washing dishes on Sunday, and sliced a considerable portion of the base of my right index finger, necessitating a visit to the ER. My typing activities are now a bit curtailed, but it's getting better.

Doesn't look like anyone else has been able to figure out your MG either. Another clue, perhaps?
melwalton

cut

Post by melwalton »

Judith
very sorry to hear about your accident. Glad it's getting better;
Don't concern yourself with the mystery guest. I'll post some more clues and we'll let someone else type in the answer. Best wishes for a speedy recovery ... mel
melwalton

mystery guest

Post by melwalton »

more on the MG:
The athletic husband was a professional boxer. Many sports fans consider him 'the hardest hitter' EVER. The man he killed. in the ring, was the brother of a Brooklyn Dodger baseball player who was voted MVP one year when the Dodgers won the pennant.
This is going back a ways. You youngsters might not have been around at the time. good luck, anyways. .... mel
jdb1

Re: mystery guest

Post by jdb1 »

melwalton wrote:more on the MG:
The athletic husband was a professional boxer. Many sports fans consider him 'the hardest hitter' EVER. The man he killed. in the ring, was the brother of a Brooklyn Dodger baseball player who was voted MVP one year when the Dodgers won the pennant.
This is going back a ways. You youngsters might not have been around at the time. good luck, anyways. .... mel
Ah, Mel, the penny has finally dropped. The boxer in question is probably Max Baer, Sr. So the Mystery Guest is Dorothy Dunbar?
melwalton

mystery guest

Post by melwalton »

You got it, Judith. Good for you. Dorothy Dunbar ( D D )
Thomas Wells, one of the husbands, played in one movie, a silent in 1927 titled 'Ain't Love Funny'.
The boxer was, of course, Maximilian Adelbert Baer. He killed Frankie Campbell, brother of Dolph Camilli in the ring and was thought to have been the main contributing factor in the death of boxer Young Stribling.
Camilli was National League MVP in 1941.
Buddy Baer was a heavyweight boxer alsol
Baer Jr. played in the Beverly Hillbillies, as is well known.
I heard a story that Baer once knocked out a horse with a single punch. Don't know how true it is but I did hear the story, way back when
Hope your hand is better. .... mel
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Well, I'm starting to get a little digital mobility after my unfortunate household accident, so I will introduce (by typing) a new Mystery Guest:

Do you know me?

When people think of me, they usually think "funny." As a New Yorker, I heard many types of speech and accents when I was growing up, and I used what I learned to good effect throughout my career.

I started in cabarets and clubs, and with the advent of TV, I decided I should try that, too. I was on many early variety shows, and I had my own variety show briefly in the early 1950s. I did stand-up, impressions and skits. People loved my impressions. In fact, I am credited with introducing the "Judy, Judy, Judy" phrase to impressions of Cary Grant.

For most of my career, I had only bit and small speaking roles in movies and on TV. But my resume is long, with over 200 screen appearances. One of my Navy buddies became a pretty big leading man star, and he was instrumental in getting me supporting parts in many of his films. I helped him with his own impression of Cary Grant, which he used to great effect in a very popular comedy.

In the 1960s, I had a co-starring role in a popular sitcom. A somewhat unusual one for TV at that time, it was a parody of another popular genre that was on the air in those days, but we don't see much of on TV any more. The comedy was broad, and I got to use my dialect and mimicking talents. I've done a lot of legitimate theater shows (mostly in cities other than New York). I have also worked extensively as a voice actor, and you can hear me in many cartoons.

Who am I?
nightwalker

Post by nightwalker »

Larry Storch.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

nightwalker wrote:Larry Storch.
You are correct. And why don't we get F Troop reruns in the New York area any more? A Green Acres/F Troop back-to-back package would do wonders to help keep our absurdist quota nice and high.

'Member Edward Everett Horton as the Hekawi medicine man, Raw Chick? See, he was an expert at mental disorders. He devised this method of analyzing the tribes' mental state by having members interpret blobs of color he dribbled on buckskin - it's called the "RawChick Test." (And that "Hekawi" tribal name - a nicely cleaned-up version of an old joke.)
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Here's another:

I acted in a few films, and wrote dialog cards, adaptations and scripts for about 30 more, but it is as a director that I am best known. I directed all genres of movies. One adventure movie I directed starred a lovely actress who wore very little clothing -- I married her. We had seven children, several of whom have been in show business, and one of whom is quite famous; more famous than me I would say.

I directed several "big," action-filled movies. For one of them, one of the biggest, most colorful and expensive of all, I did a lot of the direction, although someone else is credited. However, I won an Oscar anyway that year, sharing the honors for best screenplay for that same movie.

One of my daughters starred in a film that is considered a contemporary classic. It was filmed in and around a very famous (or infamous) building in New York City. She still acts occasionally, but is now more involved in humanitarian activities for an international organization.

Who am I?
feaito

Post by feaito »

John Farrow. Husband of Maureen O'Sullivan and father of Mia Farrow.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

feaito wrote:John Farrow. Husband of Maureen O'Sullivan and father of Mia Farrow.
John Farrow is correct, Nando.

According to IMDb, Farrow was an uncredited director of "Around the World in 80 Days." However, he won an Oscar for writing the screenplay, along with James Poe and S.J. Perelman. I am happy to give him all the credit that is due him for directing the excellent noir/suspense The Big Clock.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Here is a new Mystery Guest. (This one is hard to word without giving too much away.)

After about 10 years as a creative force on Broadway, I became one of the most creative and prolific forces in Hollywood. I have over 200 movie credits, and if audiences didn't know my face, they certainly knew my work and felt my presence in every one of those movies. I did appear at the beginning of at least one movie during the 1950s featuring three very glamorous women, but not as an actor. From the place I stood and the clothes I wore, one would immediately understand my function. One of my best-known creations was used in more than one movie, and as soon as it appears, the audience knows a Big City will be involved in the story.

My brothers, my children and one of my nephews have been successful in the same line of work. Among us, we probably have more Oscar nominations than anyone else; certainly more than any other Hollywood family -- I myself have won that award more than once.

Who am I?
melwalton

Post by melwalton »

Joseph Svoboda