TURNER CLASSIC MOVIES NEWS

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
Swithin

Re: TURNER CLASSIC MOVIES NEWS

Post by Swithin »

Dargo wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 4:54 pm
Swithin wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 4:27 pm
Dargo wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 1:05 pm

Yes Swithin, the term "doughboy" was indeed ascribed as a nickname to General Pershing's troops during that world conflict.

However, and if my following link goes through here, you will then see that there is also another accepted definition of that word here:

https://www.bing.com/search?q=doughboy+ ... cc=0&ghpl=

(...and yes and even though I DO realize that the practice of "Fat or Weight Shaming" is now days looked upon as being "unacceptable social behavior") ;)
You mean General Pershing, hero of the song: "Many a Cootie Came Over from France, in General Pershing's Underpants?"
LOL

Yep, the very same guy, and who as you might know (and even though the following isn't British history ;) ) had been ascribed with the nickname "Black Jack", and most likely due (although there's still some question about this) to his command of black troops during the late-19th and early-20th centuries.

(...yep, that's the guy, alright)
And who has a public plaza named for him, right in front of Grand Central Station: Pershing Square.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Swithin wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 5:00 pm

You mean General Pershing, hero of the song: "Many a Cootie Came Over from France, in General Pershing's Underpants?"
LOL

Yep, the very same guy, and who as you might know (and even though the following isn't British history ;) ) had been ascribed with the nickname "Black Jack", and most likely due (although there's still some question about this) to his command of black troops during the late-19th and early-20th centuries.

And who has a public plaza named for him, right in front of Grand Central Station: Pershing Square.
Yep, and there's also one located in MY old stompin' grounds of L.A. as well.

You might even remember that song they wrote about it that went somethin' like: "Pershing Square is melting in the dark, all the sweet green icing following down...Someone left the cake out in the...."

(...oh wait...sorry...wrong place and the wrong general here, huh...well, they're both in L.A. anyway) ;)
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

Dargo wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 1:05 pm

Yes Swithin, the term "doughboy" was indeed ascribed as a nickname to General Pershing's troops during that world conflict.

However, and if my following link goes through here, you will then see that there is also another accepted definition of that word here:

https://www.bing.com/search?q=doughboy+ ... cc=0&ghpl=

(...and yes and even though I DO realize that the practice of "Fat or Weight Shaming" is now days looked upon as being "unacceptable social behavior") ;)
LOL

And of course to all watch aficionados, General Pershing is known as the first person to wear the Cartier Tank. ;) It was specifically designed for him to resemble the tanks the US used during WWI.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

LostHorizons wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 5:26 pm

LOL

And of course to all watch aficionados, General Pershing is known as the first person to wear the Cartier Tank. ;) It was specifically designed for him to resemble the tanks the US used during WWI.
Wow, cool! Now this I didn't know.

(...btw here LH...was it you who started that thread over in the old forum about watches worn by the stars and other famous people?)
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

jimimac71 wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 1:08 pm I remember when Sirius swallowed up XM Radio, and proceeded to fire a majority of the on air staff.
There was an effort to save "Matt The Cat," and one listener took signatures to Sirius headquarters.
Nothing good came from it.
I am wondering if Sue Sue has an inside track to some people who matter.
I'm thinking of people who have been to the Film Festival and/or the TCM Cruise.
Hey! I don't get mad,I get even.
If TCM goes dark, watch me boycott,like it will really matter, anything those dudes have.
I can go Peacock, Hulu, Paramount Plus and never look back.
Yeah, but what about my favorite movies from the "Turner Library?"
Where would they end up and who would show them?
Yes, jimimac71, I have been in contact with several TCM Staff who have been let go. They are all devastated, and sad, but poised to move on. Talented people will always have options, and TCM staff are creative, talented people. The remaining staff who must soldier on must be concerned about their futures, too. I know they are also disturbed after reading some their social media comments, personal texts and emails.

I have received many emails, phone calls, and texts from so many of the Classic Film community, so I haven’t had much time to visit here as well as attend to my day job.

The reports stated the Pola Changnon resigned, but I don’t feel she was given any choice in the matter. As for Charlie Tabesh, he is a treasure and will definitely have other options as well as Genevieve McGillicuddy.
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Here's an article from yesterday's New York Times. I can cut and paste some of it, if anyone is interested and can't access it. But I guess the other articles posted here give the same gist, more or less.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/06/22/busi ... yoffs.html

Here are the photos that accompany the piece:

LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

Dargo wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 5:38 pm
LostHorizons wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 5:26 pm

LOL

Wow, cool! Now this I didn't know.

(...btw here LH...was it you who started that thread over in the old forum about watches worn by the stars and other famous people?)
Yes, that was me. I attempted to restart the thread here when I first came here.

viewtopic.php?t=7035

I didn’t know where to put it exactly which is why it got buried in the unused “Art of film forum.” I figured watches were close enough to art that they belonged there maybe? If the mod wants to change it to off topic I wouldn’t mind.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

I would like to think TCM is not in harms way.
It would make perfect sense for advertising (between movies) to focus on WBD properties.
In the past it has only been TCM promos.
This isn't rocket science.
Between movies, show a brand spanking new WB movie trailer.
Also Discovery channels ads too.
Imagine the hosts having a round table discussion about a brand new WB movie they "Private Screened."
I'm only a high school grad. Sad to think I know how to help.
Save TCM. Just do it!
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

jimimac71 wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 7:55 pm I would like to think TCM is not in harms way.
It would make perfect sense for advertising (between movies) to focus on WBD properties.
In the past it has only been TCM promos.
This isn't rocket science.
Between movies, show a brand spanking new WB movie trailer.
Also Discovery channels ads too.
Imagine the hosts having a round table discussion about a brand new WB movie they "Private Screened."
I'm only a high school grad. Sad to think I know how to help.
Save TCM. Just do it!
I respect your contributions as a poster but with all due respect, those ideas all suck. We fans typically come to TCM for the old or hard to find gems not for discussion of Iron Man 7 or whatever. That stuff is already on every other channel.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Just trying.
You might say generating revenue is important.
What fans want doesn't create income, does it?
My ideas don't 'suck.'
Where are yours?
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

jimimac71 wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 9:00 pm Just trying.
You might say generating revenue is important.
What fans want doesn't create income, does it?
My ideas don't 'suck.'
Where are yours?
I kind of agree and disagree at the same time. I couldn't care less if TCM shows commercials - as long as it's between movies that are still played uncut and commercial free during their run time.

It's certainly better than no TCM at all.
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

Warner CEO David Zaslav Is Having a Terrible, Horrible, No Good,
Very Bad Month

"....Zaslav has made misstep after misstep, said one veteran Hollywood executive, pointing especially to that celebration of Warner’s 100 year anniversary party at the Hotel Du Cap in Cannes with Air Mail’s Graydon Carter as a tone-deaf move during a strike. “It’s the most transparent drug-like addiction [to celebrity] that I’ve even seen,” the executive said.

Added the executive: “All the guys were rooting for him. Now the whisper around town is ‘What a buffoon.'”.....

:smiley_clap:
was "mr6666" @ TCM
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

:roll:
was "mr6666" @ TCM
drednm

Post by drednm »

The two "producers" named to head TCM, DeLuca and Abdy. It is said they will CURATE and that TCM will not be their full-time responsibilities. Sounds like they will not be PROGRAMMERS because there is no budget to license any new films.