Canada Day, eh!

Chit-chat, current events
Feinberg

Canada Day, eh!

Post by Feinberg »

Still no Canada Day TCM? What about featuring some of these people on July 1:
ImageImageImageImage
Jack Warner, Mack Sennett, Norman Jewison, Marie Dressler, Walter Pidgeon, Mary Pickford, Fay Wray, Nell Shipman, Walter Huston, John Candy, Glenn Ford, Deanna Durbin, Ruby Keeler, Colleen Dewhurst, Lorne Greene, Lois Maxwell, Paul Carpenter, John Ireland, William Shatner, James Doohan, Martin Short, James Cameron, Michael J. Fox, Keanu Reeves, Norma Shearer, Christopher Plummer, John Colicos, Lou Jacobi, Michael Ironside, Neve Campbell, Michael Cera, Rachel McAdams, Donald Brittain, Barbara Kent, Guy Maddin, Deepa Mehta, Matheson Lang, Graham Jarvis, Richard Donat, Berton Churchill, Claude Jutra, Donald Sutherland, Kiefer Sutherland, Leslie Nielsen, Gordon Pinsent, Victor Jory, Ted Kotcheff, Eugene Levy, Dan Aykroyd, Chief Dan George, Jay Silverheels, Tommy Chong, Graham Greene, Gary Farmer, David Cronenberg, John Vernon, Celine Lomez, Sarah Polley, Denis Villeneuve, Denys Arcand, Xavier Dolan, Francis Mankiewicz, Jean-Marc Vallee, Kate Reid, Margot Kidder, Norman McLaren, Wallace MacDonald, Budge Crawley, Joanna Shimkus, Alexandra Stewart, Daniel Pilon, Carole Laure, Hume Cronyn, Yvonne De Carlo, Douglass Dumbrille, Maude Eburne, Guy Lombardo and His Royal Canadians, Arthur Hill, Arthur Hiller, Brendan Fraser, Brent Carver, Alexis Smith, Alexander Knox, Howard Shore, Genevieve Bujold, Ryan Gosling, Ryan Reynolds, Barry Pepper, August Schellenberg, Michael Wincott, Lawrence Dane, Don Francks, Catherine O'Hara, Jim Carrey, Mike Myers, Andrea Martin, Jayne Eastwood, Donald Shebib, Cec Linder, Len Cariou, Mia Kirshner, Molly Parker, Matthew Perry, Craig Russell, Phillip Borsos, Kim Cattrall, Carrie-Anne Moss, Hayden Christiansen, Nicholas Campbell, Lloyd Bochner, Hart Bochner, Paul Almond, Les Carle, Robbie Robertson, Stephen McHattie, Seth Rogen, Jay Baruchel, Ellen Page, Anna Paquin, Bruce Greenwood, Raymond Massey, Ivan Reitman, Harold Ramis, Rick Moranis, Rody Piper, Dorothy Stratten, Kate Nelligan, Raymond Burr. and Louis B. Mayer (landed)
Last edited by Feinberg on July 1st, 2023, 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dargo

Re: Canada Day, eh!

Post by Dargo »

(...well, maybe not "the world", but maybe at least one day of TCM's programing anyway, EH?!)
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

Tax shelter constructs helped to produce an incredible lot of Canadian-made movies throughout the 70's and 80's.

Unfortunately, most of them are impossible to see now. They're in some kind of Limbo.
Feinberg

Post by Feinberg »

Intrepid37 wrote: July 1st, 2023, 1:38 pm Tax shelter constructs helped to produce an incredible lot of Canadian-made movies throughout the 70's and 80's.

Unfortunately, most of them are impossible to see now. They're in some kind of Limbo.
A large number of the distribution companies that made and handled those films no longer exist so getting the rights to do anything with the films from that era is really a challenge. If one is lucky you might come across a dub from a vhs copy with its inevitable poor quality.
The Moviepix channel used to seek out and play these films from better tv broadcast masters but they don't do so any longer.
Last edited by Feinberg on July 1st, 2023, 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feinberg

Post by Feinberg »

The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz happens to be my favourite Canadian film. It was restored not long ago and played at the Cannes Film Festival with Richard Dreyfuss and Ted Kotcheff attending. IMO, it has Denholm Elliot's all time best screen performance.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

I remember in the 1970s you couldn't go a day or two without seeing an animated short from the Film Board of Canada on TV. Seemed like every station bought them as fillers between programs. Haven't seen one in years though.
Feinberg

Post by Feinberg »

(...well, maybe not "the world", but maybe at least one day of TCM's programing anyway, EH?!)
[/quote]

You might like to try tracking down The Canadian Conspiracy which was a pretty funny satire or mocumentary about the duplicitous reason why so many Canadian actors go to the U.S. It was an effort to subvert the American culture (not very successfully!) and the man who was behind this secret endeavour was Lorne Greene.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

I loved Susan Clark in Webster.
Did not know she was married to Alex Karras.
The image is from 1975 and the movie Babe.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

jimimac71 wrote: July 1st, 2023, 3:26 pm I loved Susan Clark in Webster.
Stand down, kid!

When it comes to a "Susan Clark crush", I had first dibs on this sort'a thing a dozen years before she starred in that sitcom.

(...and when I first saw her on the silver screen opposite James Garner and Louis Gossett Jr. in the 1971 western-comedy 'Skin Game')

;)
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Dargo wrote: July 1st, 2023, 3:50 pm
Stand down, kid!

When it comes to a "Susan Clark crush", I had first dibs on this a dozen years before she starred in that sitcom.

(...and when I first saw her on the silver screen opposite James Garner and Louis Gossett Jr. in the 1971 western-comedy 'Skin Game')

;)
I ain’t gonna argue with someone having the potential to unload 18 bullets into me bum. I hope the pistol between your teeth isn’t loaded.
Susan is 14 years older than me. Maybe closer to your age. (cough)
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

jimimac71 wrote: July 1st, 2023, 4:12 pm
Stand down, kid!

When it comes to a "Susan Clark crush", I had first dibs on this a dozen years before she starred in that sitcom.

;)
I ain’t gonna argue with someone having the potential to unload 18 bullets into me bum. I hope the pistol between your teeth isn’t loaded.
Yep, I would be closer to her age, as I've just checked her Wiki bio page and discovered she's now 80, and only 9 years older than I presently am.

(...ya know, I always DID like older women, though...well okay, maybe not as much now days as I did when I was 19, anyway) ;)
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Feinberg wrote: July 1st, 2023, 1:21 pm Still no Canada Day TCM? What about featuring some of these people on July 1:
Ryan Gosling

I would definitely enjoy seeing Ryan Gosling featured.
I've been a fan since I was a kid and watched him on YOUNG HERCULES.

I'm looking forward to seeing him as Ken opposite Margot Robbie's Barbie in the upcoming movie BARBIE directed by Greta Gerwig.
(I'm also a fan of Margot Robbie, but she's Australian not Canadian . . .)
BARBIE will reunite Ryan Gosling with Kate McKinnon (who plays Weird Barbie in the movie).
The two previously worked together on SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE including a couple of "Close Encounter" sketches featuring Kate McKinnon's Miss Rafferty character.

Sepiatone

Post by Sepiatone »

The only movie that I'm sure is a Canadian production that I know I've seen Is

THE SILENT PARTNER('78)

I know I must have seen plenty of others by at this point It'd be hard for me to remember.

Sepiatone
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Dargo wrote: July 1st, 2023, 4:20 pm
jimimac71 wrote: July 1st, 2023, 4:12 pm

Stand down, kid!

;)
Yep, I would be closer to her age, as I've just checked her Wiki bio page and discovered she's now 80, and only 9 years older than I presently am.

(...ya know, I always DID like older women, though...well okay, maybe not as much now days as I did when I was 19, anyway) ;)
Okay Dargo you win, only because I just watched Diana Canova in an episode of Murder, She Wrote.
My bad, she is not Canadian.
Today on Microsoft Bing:
https://www.bing.com/search?q=coyote+an ... 03_0700%22
I do hope the URL works properly. It is the Bing wallpaper and story for today.