The Magnificent Ambersons

Chit-chat, current events
laffite

Re: The Magnificent Ambersons

Post by laffite »

I think it a shame that Orson had to leave the production to go to Brazil. I know the Government sent him down there on an Ambassadorial mission but he went wild down there, filming and constantly requesting more celluloid and having a grand old time while the Studio was butchering his film. I'm not a conspiracy theorist but I've amused myself with the thought that they wanted to get rid of him for some reason. So they sent him to Brazil. But quite wrong, surely. Orson was so wild and invigorated down in ole Brazil and seemed to have forgotten his movie up North. In the biography by I believe Simon Callow there's a story that while living in Las Vegas and appearing on the Merv Griffin show every two or three days he watched TMA alone in his study or bedroom and started sobbing. This came from the girl living with him, whoever it may have been at the time.

I swore t hat I would never watch the movie because it was corrupted. And yet I did get around to it. I approached the viewing without cynicism and not burdened with all the problems involved (like some of the above), a fresh look, if you will. I thought it was really choppy at first but still recognized Orson in it. I may be wrong but I thought while watching it was all Orson until the time the mother went on her trip. When she returned which I think was the following scene, Orson was gone. [It occurred to me presently to have a look at the Wiki entry on the film and see from that (if it is accurate) it was probably much worse. How naive of me to think that the studio would allow all that was Orson. Wiki says they seized a full hour of Orson and threw it on the cutting floor. The same with Bernard Hermann's music, who declined to be credited.

Oh Orson, Orson, Orson, why did you do it? Why did you leave your film and agree to that offer from Hell. The film should have been the most important thing in your life. Or did they order you to do it? Orson must have been chagrined to see the damn film get so many awards. I wish it had been a flop, O what joy in that!
Mona
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Thanks for sharing, CigarJoe. I would definitely watch this version of THE MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS for a glimpse of Orson Welles's original vision.
However, I admit that I actually like the studio-edit that we all know. The so-called "Hollywood happy ending" matches the ending of Booth Tarkington's source novel that the movie is based on. Welles's intended ending was apparently much bleaker.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

HoldenIsHere wrote: July 4th, 2023, 2:13 pm I admit that I actually like the studio-edit that we all know. The so-called "Hollywood happy ending" matches the ending of Booth Tarkington's source novel that the movie is based on. Welles's intended ending was apparently much bleaker.
Wow and the ending strikes me as as anything but 'Hollywood Happy" as it is. My initial reaction first time view was disappointment but I've grown to really like it a lot, especially strong performances carrying the story along.

I'm OK with the edited version I guess. Any more might be overkill. Then again, the movie may go from good to great with added nuanced scenes. I'm very sorry I missed this when the Capitol Theater in Rome screened it last May-I bet it was stunningly beautiful.
Feinberg

Post by Feinberg »

You can probably pick up a used copy of this book on Amazon.
At the end it chronicles the changes made to Ambersons and shows some pictures. If memory serves it has a transcription of the final scene which I believe was taken from an audio recording. I don't know if the new animated Ambersons will have some of that missing audio?
Again, if memory serves in the original Welles ending Cotton goes to visit Fanny/Moorehead in a rooming house where she now lives.
Wellesnet is a fabulous web site if you have not already checked it out. This new Ambersons was mentioned in an article on the site a few years back.