No fireworks this year

Chit-chat, current events
LostHorizons

No fireworks this year

Post by LostHorizons »

There were no fireworks this year around me, for the first time in I don’t know how many years. The guy who usually does them every year accidentally set the tree outside his house on fire and the fire department had to come so I think he wasn’t allowed to do them this year. It’s nice because usually he is really obnoxious with setting them off nonstop, including on the days leading up to the fourth.
ziggy6708a

Re: No fireworks this year

Post by ziggy6708a »

:roll:
was "mr6666" @ TCM
Sepiatone

Post by Sepiatone »

That can be a bit much. Ever since fireworks became legal in Michigan about eight or nine years ago people have gone crazy. Blowing them off on any holiday, not just those of a patriotic nature. There's a couple of dudes on my street who light up the skies on Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's. Since Sunday night my block has sounded like a D-Day re-enactment.

Sepiatone
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

ziggy6708a wrote: July 5th, 2023, 11:02 am
:roll:
Looks like a Farmers Insurance ad...
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

:(
was "mr6666" @ TCM
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

ziggy6708a wrote: July 5th, 2023, 7:03 pm
:(
Bad for trees when you’re an idiot doofus who sets the tree outside his own house on fire and nearly lights up the neighborhood through his own freaking negligence too, I may add. :(
Masha

Post by Masha »

There were very few fireworks here. Part of it can be attributed to a severe thunderstorm rolling in just after dark but the previous night had very few also.

The fireworks stores here report lackluster sales. They had approx. the same number of sales >$400 but far fewer >$150/<$400 sales and <$150 sales were off by more than half.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Sepiatone wrote: July 5th, 2023, 11:15 am Ever since fireworks became legal in Michigan about eight or nine years ago people have gone crazy.
Apparently, amateur fireworks are now legal here too, my neighbors had been setting them off 5 HOURS worth. I was reminded of that video (above) watching some jamoke lighting a 3 foot tower in the intersection. It wouldn't ignite so he kept walking back to it, putting his face over it & lighting it again-I thought a dismembered arm was going to fly by my window!

I saw lots of fireworks complaint calls on my 911 feed but then saw a City crew come at 8am Wed to shovel up the debris left in the road! Those slobs just left their mess for someone else to pick up after them...Welcome to America, refugees who tried to escape constant booming explosives.
Sepiatone

Post by Sepiatone »

Sho' 'nuff TIKI There was enough of that trash on my front lawn to start a bonfire. In the backyard too. If you remember the movie THE RAINMAKER, fireworks were used in hopes they would help make it rain. We could only hope that someday....... ;)

Sepiatone
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Sepiatone wrote: July 7th, 2023, 11:29 am ...If you remember the movie THE RAINMAKER, fireworks were used in hopes they would help make it rain. ;)

Sepiatone
Oh yeah, Sepia! I remember this, anyway.

(...uh-huh, I remember it being the part in that movie that woke me up while I was watching Lancaster and Hepburn talk and talk and talk and...)

;)
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

kingrat wrote: July 7th, 2023, 5:38 pm
Dargo wrote: July 7th, 2023, 12:31 pm
Sepiatone wrote: July 7th, 2023, 11:29 am ...If you remember the movie THE RAINMAKER, fireworks were used in hopes they would help make it rain. ;)

Sepiatone

(...uh-huh, I remember it being the part in that movie that woke me up while I was watching Lancaster and Hepburn talk and talk and talk and...)

;)
Agreed, Dargo. The Rainmaker is one of those plays that has not been reimagined for film.
You can opt for singing instead of talking with the musical adaptation: 110 in the Shade...

If you're not familiar Inga Swenson's career outside of her role as the maid on the TV series Benson, you might be surprised if you listen to any of her songs from this musical.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

txfilmfan wrote: July 7th, 2023, 6:18 pm
kingrat wrote: July 7th, 2023, 5:38 pm

;)
Agreed, Dargo. The Rainmaker is one of those plays that has not been reimagined for film.
You can opt for singing instead of talking with the musical adaptation: 110 in the Shade...

If you're not familiar Inga Swenson's career outside of her role as the maid on the TV series Benson, you might be surprised if you listen to any of her songs from this musical.
So Tex, your mention here of the musical version of 'The Rainmaker' had me wondering if there had ever been a musical version of another drama which Lancaster's role in this one has always reminded me of in another role of his.

And so after Googling "Elmer Gantry musical" I discovered that there had been one, and that it premiered on Broadway in 1970, and starred of all people Robert Shaw in the eponymous role, and also starred Rita Moreno:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gantry_%28musical%29

(...must have been a real stinker though, as it closed after only one performance)
Sepiatone

Post by Sepiatone »

Sepiatone

;)
Yeah. It's too bad DICK ELLIOTT wan't around to shout, "Are you gonna KISS her? Or talk her to death?"
:lol: ;)

Sepiatone