Betty Garde

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Swithin

Betty Garde

Post by Swithin »

Betty Garde (1905-1989) is one of my favorite supporting players. She's not as big a name as some, but she's as big a talent, and in many media.

In Broadway musical theater, she created the role of Aunt Eller in Oklahoma! (1943).

In the movies, two of her best known roles include Wanda Skutnik in Call Northside 777 (1948), in which she refuses to give James Stewart the information he seeks; and in Caged (1950), in which she plays Kitty Stark, who stabs Hope Emerson to death with a fork.

On television, on my favorite Honeymooners episode (1955), she played Thelma the Maid, and has some of the best lines in the whole series.

Also on television, she played in one of the best (and very timely) episodes of The Twilight Zone: "The Midnight Sun" (1961).

In addition, she appeared in many plays, films, and in numerous television shows. Great artist who gave us so many memorable performances.

With Alfred Drake and Joan Roberts in the original production of Oklahoma!

As Wanda Skutnik in Call Northside 777

With Hope Emerson in Caged

"Some guest and some employer: the simp and the blimp!"

Betty Garde, Lois Nettleton in "The Midnight Sun" (The Twilight Zone)
Dargo

Re: Betty Garde

Post by Dargo »

Nice write-up on Betty Garde here, Swithin.

Gotta say though that after looking at the first pic of her up there in the original Broadway cast of 'Oklahoma!'...

...I had had no idea that Alfred Drake evidently played Curly as such a, well, as such a "dandy"?!!

Yep, that's some outfit the guy is wearin' there, alright! LOL

(...guess they changed the character a bit by the time Gordon MacRae played him in the '55 movie version, eh?!) ;)
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Regarding Curly's outfit: There are different values for stage costuming, to be seen from a distance.

Celeste Holm on the right, as the original Ado Annie
Vienna

Post by Vienna »

Always remember her in Call Northside 777. Didn’t know she was the original Aunt Eller in “Oklahoma”.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Vienna wrote: July 19th, 2023, 2:50 pm ...Didn’t know she was the original Aunt Eller in “Oklahoma”.
Can't say I knew this either Vienna, and before Swithin here told us this.

(...however and on the other hand, I HAD heard the Ado Annie part was a role that Celeste Holm just couldn't "say no" to) ;)
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Vienna wrote: July 19th, 2023, 2:50 pm Always remember her in Call Northside 777. Didn’t know she was the original Aunt Eller in “Oklahoma”.
Another film Betty Grade was in was the fine noir Cry of the City made the same year, 1948, with Victor Mature and Peter Conte. One of the best B%W films that feature the gritty side of NYC.

(PS: love you're Jean Arthur photo).
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Vienna wrote: July 19th, 2023, 2:50 pm Didn’t know she was the original Aunt Eller in “Oklahoma”.
You can hear Betty Garde on the Oklahoma! original Broadway cast album, in "The Farmer and the Cowman" song. Doesn't seem to be online, though; only the movie one and revivals.

Ms. Garde also had a considerable career on radio.