DEWEY'S RECORD PARTY!

Chit-chat, current events
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

In a Smiths mood lately. Audio is a bit uneven on this one, but you can't deny the energy:

Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Hey, Ark -- Always a treat to see the SMITHS at the old Record Party.
What say we now hear from the JONESES?
SPIKE JONES and his CITY SLICKERS "Cocktails For Two"
[youtube][/youtube]
GEORGE JONES "The Race Is On"
[youtube][/youtube]
TOM JONES "It's Not Unusual"
[youtube][/youtube]
GRACE JONES "La Vie en Rose"
[youtube][/youtube]
QUINCY JONES "Birth of a Band" and "Moanin'"
[youtube][/youtube]
Last edited by Dewey1960 on January 16th, 2008, 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

It can be tough trying to keep up with the Joneses...especially George and Quincy. But...

Feeling New Romantic? Things Can Only Get Better with Howard Jones
[youtube][/youtube]

The result? Rickie Lee Jones tells us that Chuck E's in Love
[youtube][/youtube]

We all need the original Handy Man, Jimmy Jones
[youtube][/youtube]

My university's president's last name was Jones. The chorus of Dylan's Ballad of a Thin Man was the song of choice at protests.
[youtube][/youtube]
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Rickie Lee is one of my faves. I used to practice along with the debut and Pirates (1981) trying to play her vocal lines and phrasing (Night Train and Last Chance Texaco are good ones for that). Very good dynamics as well. Many of the modern singers from Edie Brickell to Sheryl Crow have copied (or stolen) her style, but she's the real deal.
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Any mention of Dylan's "Mr. Jones" is bound to set one's sights on...
BILLY PAUL's "Me and Mrs. Jones"
[youtube][/youtube]
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Time for a Saturday morning tribute to the Prince of Cool --- DION... seen here, first up with his pals The Belmonts doing a ten second warm up on the opening warble of their first national hit, the doo-wop classic "I Wonder Why" in 1958.
[youtube][/youtube]
The following year Dion and the Belmonts scored a huge hit with "A Teenager in Love" which was not much more than the typical teen idol drivel that was permeating the radio airwaves in those days. What saved it, of course, was the princely one's plaintive bel canto voice...
[youtube][/youtube]
Dion split from the Belmonts a year later and launched a string of great hits on his own. "Runaround Sue" from late 1961 was one of his biggest and best...
[youtube][/youtube]
A few short months later Dion was back with the tune that he would forever be most associated with..."The Wanderer."
[youtube][/youtube]
What most people didn't know about Dion was that for years he harbored a devastating heroin addiction. By 1963 his problems with drugs were fairly out of control and on the verge of ruining his career and his life. But it didn't stop him from making great records. One of his best from this phase of his career was the incredible "Ruby Baby."
[youtube][/youtube]
By the time Dion released his comeback smash "Abraham, Martin and John" in late 1968, he hadn't had a hit record in five years. This iconic tune not only re-established a great singer with his audience, it also helped him open the door to ridding himself of his drug addiction. Today, Dion continues to make wonderful music, a pure distillation of country blues and rock and roll. He's more than merely a survivor, he's the Prince of Cool.
[youtube][/youtube]
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Thank you for showcasing one of the greatest voices in rock'n'roll. I Wonder Why is a doo-wop that I never tire of. Not too many Italian doo-woppers from the Bronx had that touch of country and blues that Dion had. I read somewhere that he said that Hank Williams was his favorite singer.
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Y'know there was a time when just about every guy in the world wanted to either sing like or be like DION. Even NICOLAS CAGE, as seen here in Francis Coppola's wonderful film PEGGY SUE GOT MARRIED doing a bang-up job on "I Wonder Why."
[youtube][/youtube]
In 2004 (!) the real DION reunited with some of his pals and cooked up this scintillating version of the song that started it all...
[youtube][/youtube]
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Nothing like a little Kings X on Sunday morning:

It's Love:

Honesty:

Over My Head:

Picture:
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Two rousing tunes to mark the anniversaries of two sad events.

On January 14, 1992, the New York Dolls' drummer, Jerry Nolan, passed away. From a 1974 Don Kirschner's Rock Concert TV broadcast, and heavy on the tom-toms, here's Trash.
[youtube][/youtube]

On January 14, 1978, at the Winterland in San Francisco, the Sex Pistols played their final gig (not counting the latest reunion). From that concert, my favorite, Anarchy in the UK.
[youtube][/youtube]
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

In case the Record Party's DJ Dewey has been feeling tense, here's Relax by FRANKIE GOES TO HOLLYWOOD (video courtesy of Percy Dovetonsils)
[youtube][/youtube]
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Thank you, DJ-ChiO, that certainly hit the spot! In grateful appreciation, we proudly present that once in a lifetime moment when David Byrne and the Talking Heads teamed up at the Record Party with our beloved pal, Ernie Kovacs...
[youtube][/youtube]
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

On this soulful Tuesday morning...
Here come the incomparable JOE and EDDIE with their finger-smappin' gospel anthem "There's A Meetin' Here Tonight".
[youtube][/youtube]
Nina Simone recorded a great version of Oscar Brown Jr's "Work Song" here cut to images of the great but troubled heavyweight fighter Sonny Liston...
[youtube][/youtube]
Harry Belafonte and Nat King Cole with a duet on "Mama Looka Boo Boo" from Nat's original TV show...
[youtube][/youtube]
Now you can get your day going!
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

It's a girl's, girl's, girl's world...

The Chiffons "He's So Fine" (1963)
[youtube][/youtube]
The Ronettes "Be My Baby" (1963)
[youtube][/youtube]
The Shirelles "Will You Love Me Tomorrow" (1961)
[youtube][/youtube]
The Exciters "Tell Him" (1962)
[youtube][/youtube]
Last edited by Dewey1960 on January 15th, 2008, 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

To close out Tuesday on swingin' notes, let's let the Brothers be heard.

A little high-lonesome swingin' with Bye Bye Love by The Everly Brothers
[youtube][/youtube]

Some hip-shakin' swingin' in the blue-eyed soul of Little Latin Lupe Lu by The Righteous Brothers
[youtube][/youtube]

The swingin' heat is c-o-o-l with The Four Brothers by Woody Herman and His Herd
[youtube][/youtube]