Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (2023)

ziggy6708a

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (2023)

Post by ziggy6708a »

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (James Mangold, 2023)

"....What makes Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny bearable and occasionally even touching is that Harrison Ford proves indestructible. He counterpoints lickety-split reflexes with pungent delayed reactions, and displays his paradoxical signature—efficient yet larger-than-life expressions that generate surprising emotions and intensities. “It’s not the years, honey, it’s the mileage,” says the youthful Indy in 1981’s Raiders of the Lost Ark. Now, 42 years later, the octogenarian Ford’s sags and crags add deep mellow tones to Indy’s semi-streetwise, semi-academic wit and wisdom. It’s too bad that this less-is-more pro gets snagged in a more-is-more production.........
Mangold and his co-writers (Jez and John-Henry Butterworth, David Koepp) mistakenly rely on sketchy, melodramatic flashbacks to root the relationship between Indy and Helena (Phoebe Waller-Bridge), his goddaughter. The movie’s dialogue can scarcely be deciphered amid the general clangor on the soundtrack. The words I did hear didn’t make me curious about the ones I missed. This is what passes for a clever exchange—Indy to Nazi: “You stole it!” Nazi to Indy: “You stole it.” Helena to both: “Then I stole it! It’s called capitalism.”

To be fair, not even Spielberg’s sequels recovered Raiders’s scrappy spirit: the franchise turned into an expensive game of “can-we-top-this?” But Mangold’s action sequences are so overthought and under-felt that they seem to go on forever........

Mangold stages promising variations on Spielberg’s action scenes—like snake-hater Indy descending into an eel-infested sea—but shoots them so flatly or murkily that they never pay off.......

Only one woman registers as Indy’s equal: Marion, his estranged wife. Karen Allen plays her with limpidity and grace (the opposite of Waller-Bridge’s archness). Allen’s 11th-hour entrance is infinitely poignant. But it’s too little, too late."

https://www.filmcomment.com/blog/time-b ... my52jgONOE
:smiley_chinrub:
was "mr6666" @ TCM
ziggy6708a

Re: Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (2023)

Post by ziggy6708a »

:smiley_chinrub:
was "mr6666" @ TCM
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

I think I'll be seeing it tomorrow.

(...if all pans out)
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Good for you Nellie-it's always good to hear an opposing opinion.

I loved Raiders Of The Lost Ark '81 but hated The Temple of Doom'84.
If they couldn't make a good enough movie three years after the first, I'm pretty convinced lighting won't strike twice for Indy.
dianedebuda

Post by dianedebuda »

But I thought #3 Indy was even better than #1. Now that I think about it, pretty sure I never saw #4.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

dianedebuda wrote: July 4th, 2023, 7:45 am But I thought #3 Indy was even better than #1. Now that I think about it, pretty sure I never saw #4.
The third movie --- INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE --- is my favorite as well.
That's the one with Sean Connery as Indiana Jones's father and River Phoenix as young Indiana Jones in flashbacks.

TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Thanks you too- I'll borrow that one from the li-berry and see for myself.

Maybe Indiana Jones is opposite from Star Trek; the odd numbered ones = good, even numbered ones = meh.
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

I saw it Monday and enjoyed it. Much better than the last one, but still a step below even the least of the original 3. I think the poor response to that 4th film poisoned the box office appeal for this entry though, as it's not doing well.
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

TikiSoo wrote: July 4th, 2023, 5:24 am Good for you Nellie-it's always good to hear an opposing opinion.

I loved Raiders Of The Lost Ark '81 but hated The Temple of Doom'84.
If they couldn't make a good enough movie three years after the first, I'm pretty convinced lighting won't strike twice for Indy.
Temple of Doom certainly was a bit of a lemon. I rather liked some of its early sequences, but become greatly dispirited when it decided to delve into gross-out meals and child torture. I largely assume that that film's pronounced streak of sadism was due to Spielberg's dark frame of mind at the time: he was still haunted by the horrific deaths on John Landis' section of The Twilight Zone movie (Spielberg only did one section of the film personally, but given how he was a producer of the whole film, he felt personally responsible for the death of Vic Morrow and the two children),

That said, 1989's Last Crusade is extremely enjoyable, with Sean Connery being an absolute delight as Indy's father.
lydecker

Post by lydecker »

Saw Dial of Destiny yesterday and overall I liked it though once again I have to ask: How many endless chase scenes can movies have these days?? They only work if occasionally the characters sit still and actually talk to one another. I adore Harrison Ford (one of the last true "movie stars" in the mold of Old Hollywood) and this movie was definitely eons better than the last Indy film. Phoebe Waller-Bridge gives as good as she gets and harkens back to Karen Allen's Marion in Raiders. I thought the digital de-aging worked extremely well though, as it has been pointed out by a few critics, what we get is
young Indy face, old Indy voice which is a bit disconcerting. But, definitely worth seeing. Sometimes I am simply amazed that Harrison Ford (at 80!) continues to deliver the goods.
lydecker

Post by lydecker »

Interesting ranking of all the Indiana Jones films: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 235528041/

Agree with rankings 1, 2 & 5 but but not sure I wouldn't rank Dial 3rd and Temple of Doom (and Gloom!) 4th . . . Thinking, thinking . . .