Made for TV Movies You should see

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
mrsl

Made for TV Movies You should see

Post by mrsl »

Too late to see it now but last month Ernest Borgnine starred in a Christmas movie called A Grandpa for Christmas, and I heard the other day that he was nominated for a Golden Globe as Best Actor for it. Then last night I watched Charlie and Me starring Tom Bosley. Both movies were on the Hallmark Channel. Charlie and Me is to be repeated on Thursday night at 8:00 p.m. Chicago time, and if you have the chance, you should try to see it. I have to warn you though, have a box of kleenex near by. I sniffed and giggled, and laughed and cried through the whole 2 hours of the movie - it was wonderful! I know y'all hate commercials, but please trust me, this movie is worth it. The little girl who plays Charlie is also great, so try to get it in on Thursday. If nothing better, tape it, then when you watch it you can fast forward during commercials. :lol:

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

If you are not limiting them ot current run TV movies a very good on is called "Decoration Day." It is a Hallmark production as well.

This one involves James Garner trying to get a childhood friend (who is black) to accept the Congressional Medal of Honor he won during his service in the war.

Fine script. Good acting. No too syrupy as I remember.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Does anyone remember a TV movie that starred Clu Gulager (sigh) as a blind man who fell in love with a sighted woman who recorded books for the blind? It seems like it was called "Heart in Hiding".
Bogie

Post by Bogie »

It's a Christmas movie and I haven't seen it in YEARS but was a great little TV movie called The Kid Who Loved Christmas. It was a bit stereotypical but quite entertaining. It was a bit heartbreaking seeing Sammy Davis Jr. in his last role looking worn and close to death but he did a darn good job in the movie.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Gee.

Thanks for the memories. I didn't expect so many suggestions to pop up. I will say this, however, sometimes I will happily watch a made for TV movie, even with commercials, over a theatrical movie. Hallmark never fails to make tremendously entertaining family movies. Lifetime offers some good ones too, but theirs are more 'women' stories. If you're careful and watch who is starring (Jim Garner, Melissa Gilbert, Patty Duke, etc.), they always turn in excellent performances, and seem to choose good scripts, so you're not unhappy with the movie.

Anne
Anne

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Knitwit,

Indeed it was called Heart in Hiding. I think it was an ABC Afternoon Playbreak.

Anyways, I agree sigh!

He was one of the reasons I loved watching The Virginian.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Knitwit:

I've been meaning to ask, who is the photo on your Avatar? I know it's not Olivia de Haviland, and can't think of any other Olivia.

Thanks

Anne
Anne

knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Anne, Beda made that avatar for me, and it actually is Olivia DeHaviland. The really REALLY weird thing is....I used to look like that photo! Now, of course, man had just discovered fire,:lol: and the dinosaurs were just headed over the hill,:lol: but I really did look like her (in that photo).

And Lynn, thanks for the confirmation of that Clu (sigh) Gulager movie. He was never handsomer than in that movie...and that's saying a LOT....
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I find if I quickly glance at it and away, I do see Ms. De Haviland, but for the life of me I couldn't see her, until you confirmed it.

As for Clu, if you pull him up on imdB, the photo they have of him is a real goody, from his really young days. It's such a shame he's gone over to slasher films, I would like to see him in something good.

Anne
Anne

MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

Well, I'll name some that are perhaps so obvious that nobody bothered to name them yet.

"Brian's Song": It deserves its reputation as the ultimate male weepie.

"The Night Stalker": holds up very well. Darren McGavin is terrific as Kolchak.

"Trilogy of Terror;" So-so except for the last episode based on Matheson's story "Prey," about the African doll that comes to life and attacks Karen Black. That is a real horror highlight.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

I have watched remarkably few made-for-TV movies over the years, but three have always stood out for me:

Duel -- I wouldn't argue with anyone who takes the position that this is Spielberg's best movie (other than AI: Artificial Intelligence, but I always think of that as Kubrick's). I'm a sucker for paranoia flicks and Dennis Weaver nails it. Bought this on VHS last month for $1 and it still holds up for me.

The Executioner's Song -- I haven't seen this since it was first broadcast, but I remember being knocked out by Tommy Lee Jones and Eli Wallach.

The Execution of Private Slovik -- Another one that I haven't seen since it was first on TV, but I do remember that Martin Sheen made a huge impression on me (I hadn't seen Badlands yet).
feaito

Post by feaito »

The TV Movie that left an everlasting impression on me, since I saw it as kid, was the 1973 (now) Cult-terror Film "Don't Be Afraid of the Dark"; scary with capital "S". It left me scared for a long time and it has haunted me for years!!
klondike

Post by klondike »

I recall fondly how the early 70's was a greatly fertile era all-around for the mystery-horror subgenre in TV movies; right around the same time as the wonderfully creepy Don't Be Afraid of the Dark, there was also Black Noon, Crowhaven Farm, Bad Ronald, and Something Evil (that last one being an early Spielberg effort, probably not long after Duel).
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Anyone remember "My Sweet Charlie" with Patty Duke?