Bad Movies You Love

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Hibi

Re: Bad Movies You Love

Post by Hibi »

Wasn't that show known for baring moons? (the male variety at least).
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Hibi wrote: August 9th, 2023, 4:21 pm Wasn't that show known for baring moons? (the male variety at least).
NYPD BLUE became known for showing bare tushies of both the male and female variety.
The scenes usually appeared in the first few minutes of the episode after the re-cap and before the opening credits.

When Mark-Paul Gosselaar joined the cast, SAVED BY THE BELL fans were "so excited, so scared" with anticipation!
In the "Oedipus Wrecked" episode from Season 9, BELL fans finally were rewarded.

Hibi

Post by Hibi »

LOL!!! I wouldn't mind seeing that moon!
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

skimpole wrote: August 11th, 2023, 2:44 am ...
I didn't care much for it when I saw it. On the one hand, while not actually a sequel, it's not as dull as the "original." On the other hand, it does appear on theyshootpictures.com top 1000 movies of all time (it's at #979)...
I can see why you didn't care for it; it's terrible. Bad taste, bad acting, bad songs, bad intent.

Who cares about a list? I make up my own mind. :D
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

I'm looking forward to seeing THE MACKINTOSH MAN as part of Paul Newman's SUTS line-up. Judging from that trailer it just might be delightfully bad. I'm hoping TORN CURTAIN airs later that night as it too is another winner, lol.
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: August 12th, 2023, 1:36 pm I'm looking forward to seeing THE MACKINTOSH MAN as part of Paul Newman's SUTS line-up. Judging from that trailer it just might be delightfully bad. I'm hoping TORN CURTAIN airs later that night as it too is another winner, lol.
Unfortunately, Mackintosh is just plain grim and mediocre. Torn Curtain is more lively, but it isn't showing tonight.
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

skimpole wrote: August 11th, 2023, 2:44 am
Allhallowsday wrote: August 7th, 2023, 11:52 am BEYOND THE VALLEY OF THE DOLLS (1970) It's as wonderfully wretched as you've heard...

I didn't care much for it when I saw it. On the one hand, while not actually a sequel, it's not as dull as the "original." On the other hand, it does appear on theyshootpictures.com top 1000 movies of all time (it's at #979).

I don't think At Long Last Love has ever been on TCM, but Richard Brody says it's cruelly underrated.

At Long Last Love was likely slated mostly at the time of its opening because most of its players were not singers. Seen today, when musicals usually feature some big stars that are tone-deaf, it is pretty near irresistible, and its very entertaining. And here it is....

Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: August 12th, 2023, 1:36 pm I'm looking forward to seeing THE MACKINTOSH MAN as part of Paul Newman's SUTS line-up. Judging from that trailer it just might be delightfully bad. I'm hoping TORN CURTAIN airs later that night as it too is another winner, lol.
I saw parts of THE MACKINTOSH MAN last night. "Y'want me to sing 'Waltzing Matilda'?" :smiley_huh: Not good.

Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Allhallowsday wrote: August 14th, 2023, 1:43 pm
I saw parts of THE MACKINTOSH MAN last night. "Y'want me to sing 'Waltzing Matilda'?" :smiley_huh: Not good.

I unfortunately fell asleep, dammit!! LOL They should have gotten Robert Mitchum. He did a pretty credible Aussie accent in THE SUNDOWNERS.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

CinemaInternational wrote: August 13th, 2023, 7:08 pm
Unfortunately, Mackintosh is just plain grim and mediocre. Torn Curtain is more lively, but it isn't showing tonight.

It always happens with movies I want to stay up for -- I wind up falling asleep before they begin. And I even had three cups of coffee beforehand but that didn't help. I've seen TORN CURTAIN a few times -- heck, even TOPAZ is better, lol.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: August 14th, 2023, 7:15 pm

It always happens with movies I want to stay up for -- I wind up falling asleep before they begin. And I even had three cups of coffee beforehand but that didn't help. I've seen TORN CURTAIN a few times -- heck, even TOPAZ is better, lol.
The only part of Torn Curtain I like is the former countess trying to get to the West, played by Lila Kedrova. The rest of it falls flat - probably because Newman and Andrews just have no zip together. It seems like they're sleepwalking through it. Hitchcock did not like working with method actors. Makes you wonder why Newman was cast.

The real-life "making of" story is more entertaining than the movie, IMO. Wolfgang Kieling, who plays an East German agent, actually defected from West Germany to East Germany in 1968. He became disillusioned with the West after witnessing the LA Watts riots while making this film. His disaffection didn't last long. He moved back to West Germany in 1971.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

I wouldn't say it's bad, but I found the plot hard to follow. Newman seems miscast, but did a good job. Mason was wasted as was Dominique Sanda. Felt like a lot was left on the cutting room floor. The ending was good but I just didn't understand all the goings on. Were several good action sequences.
Last edited by Hibi on August 15th, 2023, 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

:yahoo:

Before I answer any other posts I must mention THE STORY OF MANKIND, shown this morning as part of Ronald Colman SUTS -- Lord have mercy!!!! LOL Hedy Lamarr as Joan of Ark! Groucho Marx as Peter Minuit! Harpo as Isaac Newton! Chico as a monk discussing "the oith can't be round" with Christopher Columbus! Peter Lorre as Nero! Francis X. Bushman as Moses! Virginia Mayo as Cleopatra! Dennis Hopper as Napoleon! Vincent Price as the devil (Mr. Scratch) with poor Ronald representing The Spirit of Man duking it out over the eventual fate of humanity!

I was feeling cranky due to the heat but immediately perked up during this wonderful schlockfest.

An absolute must for bad movie fans!!
BagelOnAPlate

Post by BagelOnAPlate »

txfilmfan wrote: August 14th, 2023, 10:28 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: August 14th, 2023, 7:15 pm

The only part of Torn Curtain I like is the former countess trying to get to the West, played by Lila Kedrova. The rest of it falls flat - probably because Newman and Andrews just have no zip together. It seems like they're sleepwalking through it. Hitchcock did not like working with method actors. Makes you wonder why Newman was cast.

The real-life "making of" story is more entertaining than the movie, IMO. Wolfgang Kieling, who plays an East German agent, actually defected from West Germany to East Germany in 1968. He became disillusioned with the West after witnessing the LA Watts riots while making this film. His disaffection didn't last long. He moved back to West Germany in 1971.
I love Julie Andrews and Alfred Hitchcock, so I wanted to like Torn Curtain, but I didn't.