I Just Watched...

Discussion of programming on TCM.
jamesjazzguitar

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Cinemaspeak59 wrote: August 28th, 2023, 1:56 pm The Princess Comes Across (1936) starts as a romantic comedy but halfway through takes a turn into Agatha Christie-style whodunnit (and a good one at that). An added delight: it takes place on an ocean liner. Everything works quite nicely thanks to Carole Lombard as a struggling Brooklyn actress impersonating a Swedish princess (Hello, Greta Garbo!), and Fred MacMurray as a concertina-playing passenger who joins Lombard in detective work.
In two Lombard \ MacMurray films, MacMurray plays a musician. In Swing High\Swing Low his character plays the Trumpet. MacMurray did play the Saxophone. I wonder if that had anything to do with these roles. The Princess Comes Across is an interesting film with its blend of comedy and drama.

An unrelated fact about MacMurray: In 1943, his annual salary had reached $420,000, making him the highest-paid actor in Hollywood and the fourth-highest-paid person in the nation.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: August 28th, 2023, 5:16 pm
An unrelated fact about MacMurray: In 1943, his annual salary had reached $420,000, making him the highest-paid actor in Hollywood and the fourth-highest-paid person in the nation.
Yep, and word is the tightwad STILL would never pick up the damn tab!

(...well, according to legend anyway)
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Cinemaspeak59 wrote: August 28th, 2023, 1:56 pm The Princess Comes Across (1936) starts as a romantic comedy but halfway through takes a turn into Agatha Christie-style whodunnit (and a good one at that). An added delight: it takes place on an ocean liner. Everything works quite nicely thanks to Carole Lombard as a struggling Brooklyn actress impersonating a Swedish princess (Hello, Greta Garbo!), and Fred MacMurray as a concertina-playing passenger who joins Lombard in detective work.
And two years later he would play his greatest role and earn that salary!

Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Swithin wrote: August 28th, 2023, 6:14 pm
This is the second time in the last few days that you've mentioned on these boards how much you really love the film 'Murder, He Says', Swithin.

Can you explain why this is? Ya see, while I've always liked it and found it reasonably funny, I don't think I would ever place it on a list of my favorite ten or fifteen comedies.

And in addition, I find it somewhat surprising that you particularly like this film so much.

(...guess it might be because I've always thought of you as more the "Noel Coward drawing room comedy" aficionado, and even though I know you also love those bawdy "Carry On" film as well)
Last edited by Dargo on August 28th, 2023, 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Dargo wrote: August 28th, 2023, 7:19 pm
This is the second time in the last few days that you've mentioned on these boards how much you really love the film 'Murder, He Says', Swithin.

Can you explain why this is? Ya see, while I've always liked it and found it reasonably funny, I don't think I would ever place it on a list of my favorite ten or fifteen comedies.

And in addition, I find it somewhat surprising that you particularly like this film so much.

(...guess it might be because I've always thought of you as more the "Noel Coward drawing room" comedy aficionado)
I didn't say that it was on my ten or 15 best film list! It appeals to my sense of wackiness, has a great cast, and a funny script.

Btw, In my love of film are many mansions, not so much film noir, though. I would say that my favorite film that Fred MacMurry is in, would be The Trail of the Lonesome Pine. But I'm not a huge fan of him as an actor.
jamesjazzguitar

Swithin wrote: August 28th, 2023, 7:25 pm
Dargo wrote: August 28th, 2023, 7:19 pm

(...guess it might be because I've always thought of you as more the "Noel Coward drawing room" comedy aficionado)
I didn't say that it was on my ten or 15 best film list! It appeals to my sense of wackiness, has a great cast, and a funny script.

Btw, In my love of film are many mansions, not so much film noir, though. I would say that my favorite film that Fred MacMurry is in, would be The Trail of the Lonesome Pine. But I'm not a huge fan of him as an actor.
So, to be clear, you were pulling our leg when you said: And two years later he would play his greatest role and earn that salary!

I assume most people would say his 'greatest role' was one year later: Double Indemnity. That film by Paramount earned the salary of both MacMurray and Barabara Stanwyck since it cost < 1 million and made over 5 million at the box office. (and yea, I know that you might not feel that way since you're not much of a fan of Babs).
Belle

Post by Belle »

What's the name of that film with the picture above: MacMurray, Marjorie Main and Peter Whitney??
Belle

Post by Belle »

Lily Garland wrote: August 27th, 2023, 9:19 am Platinum Blonde (1931)

with Jean Harlow, Robert Williams and Loretta Young. Currently available on YouTube, I had never seen it before. Terrific performance from Robert Williams, who died shortly after it was released - he would have had a great career I'm sure. A witty script by Robert Riskin and a precode ending.
I tried to watch this film yesterday but abandoned it because it was so static; microphones in flower pots...that sort of thing...kept the cast standing together like actors in a stage play. Disappointing though an early film from Capra I expected more.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

In two Lombard \ MacMurray films, MacMurray plays a musician. In Swing High\Swing Low his character plays the Trumpet. MacMurray did play the Saxophone. I wonder if that had anything to do with these roles. The Princess Comes Across is an interesting film with its blend of comedy and drama.

Due to the cost of WWII, US tax brackets from that era would shock most of us today. In 1943, the highest bracket was $200K, and that bracket was taxed at 94%. Brackets, as near as I can tell, were all the same regardless of filing status.

The lowest bracket was 23%, for incomes between $0 and $1999.

So when Gary Merrill, playing Bill Simpson in All About Eve, tells Eve that "most of it (the money) would go to taxes," you can see what he means. Though the brackets had lowered just a bit by 1950, the top bracket ($400K+) was still an eye-watering 84%.

It's why so many A-list stars formed corporations, to shelter their income.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: August 28th, 2023, 8:12 pm
Swithin wrote: August 28th, 2023, 7:25 pm

So, to be clear, you were pulling our leg when you said: And two years later he would play his greatest role and earn that salary!

I assume most people would say his 'greatest role' was one year later: Double Indemnity. That film by Paramount earned the salary of both MacMurray and Barabara Stanwyck since it cost < 1 million and made over 5 million at the box office. (and yea, I know that you might not feel that way since you're not much of a fan of Babs).
To be clear, he's not one of my favorite actors, no more than Babs is one of my favorite actresses. But I like many of their movies. I do think he's better at comedy, and in that context think his role in Murder, He Says is about as good a performance as he's capable of giving. Regarding Double Indemnity, for those many who would say that's his greatest role, that is the kind of thing they can say. I don't like the movie. I'm not a noir-ist, though I like some noirs.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: August 28th, 2023, 8:12 pm I assume most people would say his 'greatest role' was one year later: Double Indemnity. (and yea, I know that you might not feel that way since you're not much of a fan of Babs).
Well I am a fan of Babs and like noir but I dislike Double Indemnity. MacMurray is mostly the reason, I just don't care for his characterizations.
But I was surprised how much I liked him in 1940's Remember The Night also with Stanwyck.
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

NORA PRENTISS (1947) KENT SMITH's best role...

jamesjazzguitar

Allhallowsday wrote: August 29th, 2023, 12:14 pm NORA PRENTISS (1947) KENT SMITH's best role...

Nora Prentiss is one of my favorite roles for Kent Smith, but I would say my favorite is in The Dammed Don't Cry. In that role one see's the character grow-up but still retain his basic decency. A classic secondary noir protagonist. (secondary, since Crawford is the main noir protagonist).

I may be bias, since The Dammed Don't Cry is also my favorite Crawford film.
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: August 29th, 2023, 1:37 pm ...
Nora Prentiss is one of my favorite roles for Kent Smith, but I would say my favorite is in The Dammed Don't Cry. In that role one see's the character grow-up but still retain his basic decency. A classic secondary noir protagonist. (secondary, since Crawford is the main noir protagonist).

I may be bias, since The Dammed Don't Cry is also my favorite Crawford film.
My original thought was "my favorite" but then remembered CAT PEOPLE and CURSE OF 2 of my favorite VAL LEWTON produced Horror films... and I think Kent is also in THE NIGHT STALKER (1972) ...

In any case, ANN SHERIDAN is always good!
BagelOnAPlate

Post by BagelOnAPlate »

My favorite Fred MacMurray movie is A Millionaire For Christy.