a VERY depressing, but well-made film
:smiley_huh:
was "mr6666" @ TCM
Andree

Re: Noir Alley

Post by Andree »

Dargo wrote: September 10th, 2023, 8:24 pm
Now I can't remember.

Did Eddie in his wrapround misstate that Manny was once on 'What's My Line' and perhaps the reason you said "WML" here James (and other than for the clever "Peggy Webber" comment), or did Eddie say he appeared on 'To Tell the Truth' and which would seem more likely due to this game show's premise and format, and seemingly confirmed by Andree here?

I seem to recall Eddie (mis)stating the former, as I recall at the time wondering why Manny would appear on a game show in which guessing someone's job in the objective of the game, and not as it was on 'TTTT' and where after hearing someone's personal story, it's to be determind who of the three contestants that personal story actually belongs to. I dunno. Maybe I'm imagining this, though.

Too bad I've already deleted my recording of this after watching it this morning, or else I wouldn't have had to ask this question.

(...and so I guess it's now "one down and to you, James"...unless of course you'd like to now "pass to Andree" here!) ;)
I can't recall which show Eddie mentioned either; it was a secondary matter. He did appear on TTTT and I doubt he would
have done both game shows. I saw an old article from the NY Post about Manny with a photo of him. The weird thing is
that the guy who wasn't Manny looked more like the photo of Manny than the actual Manny, who was wearing glasses and
had thicker hair. Guy really had a thing for mistaken identity. The other person on that episode was Pat Rizzuto, the child
of Phil Rizzuto. Two of them were boys and one was a girl.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
cmovieviewer

Post by cmovieviewer »

HoldenIsHere wrote: September 7th, 2023, 4:17 pm
C*i*g*a*rTheJoe wrote: September 6th, 2023, 6:08 pm I'm watching The Secret Fury On Demand and there was no Noir Alley intro.
I'm not seeing THE SECERET FURY available on Watch TCM anymore.

I was planning on watching it,

:(
The Secret Fury (1950) is scheduled to be shown again on TCM this coming Wednesday Sep. 13 at 12:45 pm EDT as part of a birthday tribute to Claudette Colbert. Of course it won't have the Eddie intro this time, but it is another opportunity to see the film.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: September 10th, 2023, 1:43 pm
...I would loved to see Manny on What's My Line: would I be able to guess which one of the guys was him? (or would I pull a Peggy Webber!).
Andree wrote: September 10th, 2023, 5:18 pm
...Manny's appearance on To Tell the Truth is available on YT. Polly Bergen and Dick Van Dyke were two of the celebrities
on that episode.
Now I can't remember.

Did Eddie in his wrapround misstate that Manny was once on 'What's My Line' and perhaps the reason you said "WML" here James (and other than for the clever "Peggy Webber" comment), or did Eddie say he appeared on 'To Tell the Truth' and which would seem more likely due to this game show's premise and format, and seemingly confirmed by Andree here?

I seem to recall Eddie (mis)stating the former, as I recall at the time wondering why Manny would appear on a game show in which guessing someone's job in the objective of the game, and not as it was on 'TTTT' and where after hearing someone's personal story, it's to be determind who of the three contestants that personal story actually belongs to. I dunno. Maybe I'm imagining this, though.

Too bad I've already deleted my recording of this after watching it this morning, or else I wouldn't have had to ask this question.

(...and so I guess it's now "one down and to you, James"...unless of course you'd like to now "pass to Andree" here!) ;)
Just checked my copy. Eddie said in his outro that the real Manny appeared as a mystery guest on What's My Line. But this is incorrect. He was a contestant on To Tell The Truth on 15 January 1957. The show was brand new, as it premiered the week before Christmas, 1956. These episodes aired from Studio 54.

Hibi

Post by Hibi »

I always enjoy Claudette but here I thought the script really did not serve her (or anyone else for that matter) well. I like Colbert better sans cosmetics at the Japanese prison camp in THREE CAME HOME.

Have they shown SLEEP, MY LOVE?
[/quote]

What a coinky dink! They are showing 3 Came Home this Wed at 10:45am! So I'll finally be able to see it! Preceded by The Secret Heart with JUNE at 9am! (debating on recording that one!) It must be her birthday (I know she is born in Sept.) She was born in 1905 so it would be her 118th birthday!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Detective Jim McLeod wrote: September 10th, 2023, 11:01 am It was good seeing The Wrong Man again. It may be atypical of Hitchcock but still a great film.

Eddie Muller doesn't go into as much detail on this as he does on others.

One thing I would like to mention is Peggy Webber as the insurance clerk who first sees Henry Fonda and believes he is the hold up man. She later had many memorable roles on Dragnet.

Doreen Lang as her coworker also popped up in The Birds as the mother who loses it in the restaurant. Same type of role as in this.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

txfilmfan wrote: September 11th, 2023, 8:19 am
Just checked my copy. Eddie said in his outro that the real Manny appeared as a mystery guest on What's My Line. But this is incorrect. He was a contestant on To Tell The Truth on 15 January 1957. The show was brand new, as it premiered the week before Christmas, 1956. These episodes aired from Studio 54.
Thanks for the confirmation here, Tex. Yep, like I said earlier, I thought I had remembered Eddie saying 'What's My Line' in his wraparound.

(...glad to know my powers of recall are still somewhat intact, anyway) ;)
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Hadn't seen this film in a long time. Though atypical Hitchcock, it's stll an engrossing film. Vera Miles was great. Too bad Hitchcock lost interest in her after she became pregnant and had to drop out of Vertigo. She's very good in Psycho, too, which was just on yesterday again. She appeared in the first episode of Alfred Hitchcock Presents directed by Hitchcock and several episodes of the hour long show later. That tacked on epilogue happy ending really seems out of place and ruins the mood of the film. I had the feeling that things weren't as hunky dory as the statement implied....
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Andree wrote: September 10th, 2023, 11:53 pm
Now I can't remember.

I can't recall which show Eddie mentioned either; it was a secondary matter. He did appear on TTTT and I doubt he would
have done both game shows. I saw an old article from the NY Post about Manny with a photo of him. The weird thing is
that the guy who wasn't Manny looked more like the photo of Manny than the actual Manny, who was wearing glasses and
had thicker hair. Guy really had a thing for mistaken identity. The other person on that episode was Pat Rizzuto, the child
of Phil Rizzuto. Two of them were boys and one was a girl.

Did they guess who was the real Manny?
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

WOW! I play that game watching her in films. You rarely get a glimpse of her right side and if you do, it's a brief glimpse and not in close up! Usually she's moving her head or something like that. I may record it just for that reason! :D
Last edited by Hibi on September 11th, 2023, 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nakanosunplaza

Post by nakanosunplaza »

The cameramen were naming her right side as rarer than the dark side of the moon..you can see it in very early films or very very quick in later films,she said she had some kind of bump on the right side of her nose,probably very small anyway.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

nakanosunplaza wrote: September 11th, 2023, 12:51 pm The cameramen were naming her right side as rarer than the dark side of the moon..you can see it in very early films or very very quick in later films,she said she had some kind of bump on the right side of her nose,probably very small anyway.
Yes, she claimed she had a bump on her nose seen from that side. I doubt people would've noticed. You get brief glimpses of her right side once in awhile, but very brief and not close ups. I wouldn't be surprised if she had it written in her contract. Wonder if any of her male co-stars had gripes? Actors were vain too. I know there was an awkward impasse during That Touch of Mink as both Doris and Cary liked to be photographed from their right side and someone had to yield in two shots. Cary did the gentlemanly thing and let his left side be photographed. Likewise with the Great Profile, John Barrymore, and Garbo in Grand Hotel.
Andree

Post by Andree »

Hibi wrote: September 11th, 2023, 9:38 am
Two guessed correctly and two guessed incorrectly. The guy in the middle (Number 2) didn't get any votes.
Manny had already moved to Florida by this time.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Andree wrote: September 11th, 2023, 3:22 pm
Hibi wrote: September 11th, 2023, 9:38 am
Two guessed correctly and two guessed incorrectly. The guy in the middle (Number 2) didn't get any votes.
Manny had already moved to Florida by this time.
Thanks! LOL.