I Just Watched...

Discussion of programming on TCM.
nakanosunplaza

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by nakanosunplaza »

laurence Harvey got something like $400000 for Darling an excellent fee for 1965, but he was always overspending, he was a fine actor.
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

"No, no, no...like this: I Can't Stand Him!"
"Yeah...that's what I said! I KAHN' stanim!"
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Allhallowsday wrote: September 21st, 2023, 9:31 pm "No, no, no...like this: I Can't Stand Him!"
"Yeah...that's what I said! I KAHN' stanim!"

(amazing charactor actress Kathleen Freeman was uncredited in SITR)
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

kingrat wrote: September 21st, 2023, 7:04 pm
Hibi wrote: September 21st, 2023, 3:19 pm LOL. And it's a typical Laurence Harvey part. A HEEL! It's Julie Christie's movie, but Dirk gives a strong performance and is the only character who has any moral compass. (although he goes astray for awhile with Christie). I love the part at the end where after an auld lang syne phock he throws her back to her hubby, much to her dismay. He'd learned his lesson.
Dirk Bogarde is really good in DARLING, and I think this is one of the best portrayals of adultery on film. He has an affair with Julie because he can, and because she's gorgeous, then he really falls for her, does damage to his marriage and family, gets rejected by her, and finally, as you say, learns his lesson. Of course he doesn't become a saint: he enjoys throwing her back to her hubby. Bogarde really deserved Oscar noms for THE SERVANT and DARLING. Not all of DARLING has aged well, but the Bogarde scenes are great, and this may be the first English-language film that doesn't see homosexuality as a problem, but as an ordinary part of life.

Laurence Harvey is billed above Bogarde, but his role is smaller and his moment in the sun has passed. He could certainly have played Dirk Bogarde's role, but Bogarde has more subtlety and a much better script than Harvey had in BUTTERFIELD 8. Harvey's career is like many: he comes to attention in a good film where he's ideally cast (ROOM AT THE TOP), then he's hot so he's cast in everything (a hero at the Alamo? Sure! A young Texan trying to write the Great American Novel? Of course!), then when he's no longer hot he has to find roles as best he can.
Although he gives Julie the heave ho and enjoys doing it on some level, I think he still loves her and it shows on his face in that airport scene. But he knows she's poison to him and he can't take her back.

Darling was the first movie I'd seen that had a gay (male) character in it. (Not that it was the first, but the first for me)
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

nakanosunplaza wrote: September 21st, 2023, 7:15 pm laurence Harvey got something like $400000 for Darling an excellent fee for 1965, but he was always overspending, he was a fine actor.
But not so great in his private life from what I've read. Seems playing heels came naturally.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

I can no longer think of Laurence Harvey without also thinking of our old friend and fellow TCM board member TomLH.

Boy, did he hate the guy!

(...and so much so that I always got the impression he would react to just the mention of his name the very same way Kramer would whenever he heard Mary Hart's voice)

Cinemaspeak59

Post by Cinemaspeak59 »

Let Us Be Gay (1930) In this lively comedy of manners, we’re introduced to Norma Shearer’s Kitty as a dowdy housewife (deglamorized beyond recognition), devoted to her husband Bob (Rod La Rocque), and their two children. Marital breakdown ensues upon learning Bob is having an affair. Three years later, they are thrown together at a weekend gathering. Kitty is now chic and sophisticated, and Bob is dying to find out how she got that way. Marie Dressler is on hand, delivering her customary zingers. Hedda Hopper has a supporting role she’s good in.
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

I REMEMBER MAMA (1948)

TCM shows this a lot. I often watch it. And again last night. OSCAR HOMOLKA is my favorite, but I love them all (even Yenny) :D

nakanosunplaza

Post by nakanosunplaza »

Hibi wrote: September 22nd, 2023, 10:35 am
nakanosunplaza wrote: September 21st, 2023, 7:15 pm laurence Harvey got something like $400000 for Darling an excellent fee for 1965, but he was always overspending, he was a fine actor.
But not so great in his private life from what I've read. Seems playing heels came naturally.
Yes he had a temper, he was having problems with several actresses ,if he found them not enough professional lacking preparation,but he was also often late,he laughed at the reputation he had ;Someone once asked HIM, 'Why is it so many people hate you?' and He said, 'Do they? How super! I'm really quite pleased about it.' He had a good word for many of his co starring actresses,he had problems with Kim Novak,Jane Fonda,Martha Hyer,Shirley Maclaine,Capucine,Lee Remick among others and I do not blame him for some the previous ones though.His mastery of the English linguage is quite amazing considering his origins,he spoke a perfect proper English.Strangely after Darling he got films beneath the quality he had before.
Last edited by nakanosunplaza on September 23rd, 2023, 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Minority Report (2002)

This is a pretty rare trip back into the 21st century for me, and for a while it delivers...until it doesn't. It's basically Spielberg trying out futuristic noir with Tom Cruise getting framed for a murder that is still due to happen in the future. It's quite riveting...but as soon as it gets to the point where the murder is due to hapoen, and reveals a big twist, it falls apart. The only thing that makes these latter scenes even somewhat palatable is a gripping, unsettling, nearly non-speaking part by Samantha Morton, looking like Falconetti in The Passion of Joan of Arc, and with a face nearly as expressive. Not a bad film, but ultimately a letdown.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Allhallowsday wrote: September 22nd, 2023, 1:09 pm I REMEMBER MAMA (1948)

TCM shows this a lot. I often watch it. And again last night. OSCAR HOMOLKA is my favorite, but I love them all (even Yenny) :D
A great movie with a brilliant cast. Even Barbara O'Neil, who barely has a speaking role, is perfect. I love Roy Webb's score. And the opening scene, with the sisters approaching the house, then having coffee, is brilliant. And the scene in which Marta and Trina are speaking on the porch, with the wind blowing gently, is beautiful.

Last edited by Swithin on September 23rd, 2023, 5:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Lawrence Harvey is OK in some films, but I really held a grudge against him for a while after seeing Two Loves....
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

Swithin wrote: September 23rd, 2023, 4:59 pm ...I REMEMBER MAMA (1948) ...
A great movie with a brilliant cast. Even Barbara O'Neil, who barely has a speaking role, is perfect. I love Roy Webb's score. And the opening scene, with the sisters approaching the house, then having coffee, is brilliant. And the scene in which Marta and Trina are speaking on the porch, with the wind blowing gently, is beautiful.
I particularly like after Uncle Chris has died, Marta speaks kindly to Barbara O'Neil, and she walks away from the house towards a vegetable garden and stumbles. That's an actress (perhaps a tiny nip o' ham).
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

The Pajama Game (1957)

The Pajama Game, which I just watched, is one of the great '50s Broadway musicals turned into one of the great '50s film musicals. The story focuses on labour and love troubles in the Sleep-Tite Company. The score is perfect -- every song is a gem (two of the songs reached #1 and #2 on Billboard in 1954). Many of the Broadway cast reprised their roles on film: John Raitt (Sid), Carol Haney (Gladys), Reta Shaw (Mabel), Thelma Pelish (Mae), Eddie Foy Jr. (Hines), and Ralph Dunn (Mr. Hasler). (Shirley MacLaine was a dancer in the original Broadway cast and got her big break when Carol Haney couldn't go on one night. Hal Wallis was in the audience). Doris Day, taking over the lead role originated by Janis Paige on Broadway, plays Babe Williams, head of the grievance committee.

There are issues in the script that wouldn't fly today: Sid, the factory superintendent comes on to Babe too strongly, demanding a date. Hines is a jealous psychopath with knives. Nevertheless, this film, along with Damn Yankees and Li'l Abner, is one of the best ever transitions from Broadway to Hollywood.

Carol Haney sings "Hernando's Hideaway." She won a Featured Actress Tony Award for her performance on Broadway.