I Just Watched...

Discussion of programming on TCM.
txfilmfan

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by txfilmfan »

Swithin wrote: September 23rd, 2023, 11:27 pm The Pajama Game (1957)

The Pajama Game, which I just watched, is one of the great '50s Broadway musicals turned into one of the great '50s film musicals. The story focuses on labour and love troubles in the Sleep-Tite Company. The score is perfect -- every song is a gem (two of the songs reached #1 and #2 on Billboard in 1954). Many of the Broadway cast reprised their roles on film: John Raitt (Sid), Carol Haney (Gladys), Reta Shaw (Mabel), Thelma Pelish (Mae), Eddie Foy Jr. (Hines), and Ralph Dunn (Mr. Hasler). (Shirley MacLaine was a dancer in the original Broadway cast and got her big break when Carol Haney couldn't go on one night. Hal Wallis was in the audience). Doris Day, taking over the lead role originated by Janis Paige on Broadway, played Babe Williams, head of the grievance committee.

There are issues in the script that wouldn't fly today: Sid, the factory superintendent comes on to Babe too strongly, demanding a date. Hines is a jealous psychopath with knives. Nevertheless, this film, along with Damn Yankees and Li'l Abner, is one of the best ever transitions from Broadway to Hollywood.

Carol Haney sings "Hernando's Hideaway." She won a Featured Actress Tony Award for her performance on Broadway.

The knife chasing/throwing scenes are a bit ridiculous. Hopefully you were able to watch a better video transfer than the one I saw on Amazon.

Agree that it has one of the best scores. My favorites are "Steam Heat" and "Racing with the Clock", the latter mainly for its song construction. The number in the film is choreographed to the second.

"Hernando's Hideaway" was a huge hit with a lot of cover versions. My parents had a couple of different recordings of it, and I didn't know it was from a musical until I was a teenager and saw Pajama Game on TV.

I've always wondered if Fosse took inspiration from the match-lit scenes in "Hernando's Hideaway" when he was working on the opening of Pippin many years later.

And I'm in for anything that has Reta Shaw in it.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

txfilmfan wrote: September 24th, 2023, 11:10 am
Swithin wrote: September 23rd, 2023, 11:27 pm The Pajama Game (1957)

The knife chasing/throwing scenes are a bit ridiculous. Hopefully you were able to watch a better video transfer than the one I saw on Amazon.

Agree that it has one of the best scores. My favorites are "Steam Heat" and "Racing with the Clock", the latter mainly for its song construction. The number in the film is choreographed to the second.

"Hernando's Hideaway" was a huge hit with a lot of cover versions. My parents had a couple of different recordings of it, and I didn't know it was from a musical until I was a teenager and saw Pajama Game on TV.

I've always wondered if Fosse took inspiration from the match-lit scenes in "Hernando's Hideaway" when he was working on the opening of Pippin many years later.

And I'm in for anything that has Reta Shaw in it.
I've seen the film several times, including in a cinema on a double bill with Damn Yankees. But I hadn't seen it recently, until I just saw it on Amazon. I've only seen one production of the show, with Barbara McNair, Hal Linden, Cab and Chris Calloway, Tiger Haynes, and Mary Jo Catlett.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

txfilmfan wrote: September 24th, 2023, 11:10 am I'm in for anything that has Reta Shaw in it.
Me too! She certainly elevates EVERYTHING she's in!
(I'd never tell her, but my Mother reminds me of Reta Shaw)
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Dargo wrote: September 22nd, 2023, 11:50 am I can no longer think of Laurence Harvey without also thinking of our old friend and fellow TCM board member TomLH.

Boy, did he hate the guy!

(...and so much so that I always got the impression he would react to just the mention of his name the very same way Kramer would whenever he heard Mary Hart's voice)

I wonder why Tom didn't migrate here? He is missed.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

DELETE
Last edited by Hibi on September 25th, 2023, 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Still don't understand why TCM can't show Pajama Game. It was shown at the TCM festival. Some rights issue? I know they aired it many years ago but not in the last 20 yrs. Just dont get it. I have the revival recording with Harry Connick. Great score.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Hibi wrote: September 25th, 2023, 9:54 am
I wonder why Tom didn't migrate here? He is missed.
Yes, he sure is.

If I recall correctly here though, I think he did at the same time many of us did, however his appearance on these boards was short-lived.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Hibi wrote: September 25th, 2023, 10:01 am Still don't understand why TCM can't show Pajama Game. It was shown at the TCM festival. Some rights issue? I know they aired it many years ago but not in the last 20 yrs. Just dont get it. I have the revival recording with Harry Connick. Great score.
I hadn't seen it in years and wondered why it was scarce. I was surprised to find it on Amazon Prime a few weeks ago, without any additional charge.
scsu1975

Post by scsu1975 »

Dargo wrote: September 22nd, 2023, 11:50 am I can no longer think of Laurence Harvey without also thinking of our old friend and fellow TCM board member TomLH.
Do you also think about TomJH? :yahoo:
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

scsu1975 wrote: September 25th, 2023, 10:55 am
Do you also think about TomJH? :yahoo:
Oops! Yep Rich, this would now be the second time or so in recent months that for some reason I've referred to our old Canadian buddy as being "TomLH" instead of TomJH, isn't it. But hopefully, for the last time now.

(...thanks for the reminder)
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Hibi wrote: September 25th, 2023, 10:01 am Still don't understand why TCM can't show Pajama Game. It was shown at the TCM festival. Some rights issue? I know they aired it many years ago but not in the last 20 yrs. Just dont get it. I have the revival recording with Harry Connick. Great score.
Here's what I found on a Doris Day forum many years ago.

I've often wondered why a great film like "The Pajama Game" is never aired on television. After bugging Jim Pierson (MPI Video) for some time about it, he did an investigation, and he came up with the answer. Here 'tis:

WB only have HOME VIDEO rights. Although they "own" the film, Warners made an unfortunate deal on Pajama Game and Damn Yankess where the underlying rights have to be renegotiated with the original owners of the stage musical source. The recent TV climate for old movies hasn't made it feasible to renew the films for that medium. At least they are on DVD...
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

txfilmfan wrote: September 25th, 2023, 12:01 pm

I've often wondered why a great film like "The Pajama Game" is never aired on television. After bugging Jim Pierson (MPI Video) for some time about it, he did an investigation, and he came up with the answer. Here 'tis:

WB only have HOME VIDEO rights. Although they "own" the film, Warners made an unfortunate deal on Pajama Game and Damn Yankess where the underlying rights have to be renegotiated with the original owners of the stage musical source. The recent TV climate for old movies hasn't made it feasible to renew the films for that medium. At least they are on DVD...
I figured as much! :( And no one is interested in renegotiating the rights?? :(
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Hibi wrote: September 25th, 2023, 12:50 pm
txfilmfan wrote: September 25th, 2023, 12:01 pm

I figured as much! :( And no one is interested in renegotiating the rights?? :(
That post on the Day forum was 15 years ago, and much has changed since.

My guess is that either the heirs want more than the market will bear, or the rights are now spread across so many people, trusts, estates, etc. that it's very difficult to close on negotiations.
dianedebuda

Post by dianedebuda »

So why was it available on Amazon Prime then?
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

dianedebuda wrote: September 25th, 2023, 2:29 pm So why was it available on Amazon Prime then?
I was surprised to find it there, and at no additional cost.